What's new

Kava Forums Update

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ok, with the kavasseur agreeing to change the link on his blog page we're going to get a large influx of new users, and lurkers. In observance of this I'm opting to up our hosting plan to a virtual private server. This may come with an hour or so where the site is in transition, but I'll keep you all up to speed on what's happening.

This is more or less my way of continuing to future proof our kava real estate investment here. An upgraded hosting package will mean more room for more members, and faster speed as well (although it's pretty dang fast right now).

Any suggestions are welcome, and just for full disclosure we'll be using inmotion hosting. They are known to have one of the best up-time in the industry....especially with the VPSs.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
kapm, is this managed hosting? I'd hate for you to have to muck around on a server at that price. I have a couple servers chugging along at digitalocean and love those guys.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey kavadude, I've looked into digitalocean, and have seen their good reviews, however I'm just not 100% comfortable with using a company that's only been around for 2 years. I had a webhost fold on me once. Took all my data, everything. One day it just didn't work. It's left me a little paranoid to say the least. And yes, it's managed. Has cpanel pre-installed and everything. All the stuff for admin is basically the same as with the shared hosting.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Cool, cool. Carry on then.

Web hosts are weird sometimes. The most reliable uptime server I have is a $15/year 128MB vps that I bought on a whim. Hasn't missed a beat for like two years.

Teamfour

Kava Curious
As a new member, I can say this site has encouraged my foray into the world of kava. I am a member of lots of forums and have run a few myself. Knowing they are not free, have you considered a nominal charge for forum membership?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'll be setting up a donation box if anyone wants to donate later in the month. We won't require any membership fees. At some point we may allow vendors to donate to the general runnings of the site and occupy a small banner on the sidebar, but nothing crazy. This really is a donation back to the kava community at large. I spend my money on stupid stuff anyways. This site has helped me funnel that into something meaningful. :)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
We should all be thankful he's in charge. I'd be shaking down the vendors for free products on a weekly basis ;)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Whoa whoa, who said anything about not shaking down vendors?

Just kidding. Steve has sent me some Kava Candy as a thanks. I have it saved up and intend to do a giveaway with it.