What's new

kava helps immensely

exit stage left
I've been using kava periodically for about a month. I'm not sure how often it's safe to use, but it's very good in emergencies when I need to find some calm. I have anorexia and I find that taking some kava can really help me get past the anxiety around eating. Of course, then I have to deal with the anxiety of weight gain, which leads to more kava.

I buy powdered root from a vendor nearby to my geographical location that I trust, because it's a good price and she ships it incredibly fast, I can order, pay, and get it in a couple of days for a very reasonable price. I've never asked her what kind/strain/whatever it is though. I guess when I was brand new to kava I didn't care. Next time I have money, I'm going to try one of the more well known online vendors, just for comparison. I usually put a couple of tablespoons in a muslin bag and then squeeze the bag while immersed in 1 cup of cold water for 10 minutes. At first I hated the taste but I've really gotten used to it now. Sometimes the effects seem hit or miss though. I've gotten some very good results, and some hardly noticeable results from the same batch and preparation.

I've noticed my kava use is escalating a little bit. I can't afford to use it daily, as it is already I'm almost out of the kava I bought recently and I'm too embarrassed to put in another order already (my vendor is very personal and not a faceless website) but I've discovered that a health food store near me sells kava extract. I think I'll try that next, even if it doesn't work as well, just so that I've tried it.

I'm in a precarious position right now with anxiety and waiting on a seemingly endless waiting list for treatment for anorexia, and the kava is really what's getting me through. I'm just nervous that it's going to trash my system if I use too much. I'm also getting weekly blood draws to monitor for adverse health effects from the anorexia, and don't know if kava reacts with blood tests.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome to the forum, @Schmedward!

I would be surprised if kava had any negative interaction with the blood tests you're having done regularly. What are they checking for in those tests?

Many members of the forums have been drinking kava every day for years without any negative side effects. If you're sourcing your root from a reputable vendor who sells noble kava, you shouldn't have any problems with daily use. Though as always, listen to your body and if it feels like too much, then moderate as needed.

I'm happy to hear that kava is giving you relief from anxiety and helping with your condition.

Please feel free to ask anything and everything on the forums, as we're here to help!

D

Deleted User01

@Schmedward , welcome to the forum. ::awesomesmiles:: All your questions are good ones. First off, there are people and vendors who have been doing kava daily for anywhere from 2 to 20 years with no ill effect. The Islanders have been doing kava for hundreds of years with no ill effect. I personally have been doing kava about 5 times a week for 2 years. The other 2 days are reserved for wine or beer. When you get a blood test, just pay attention to the AST and ALT readings. These are related to the liver and I watch those like a hawk. I think all of us here think kava is very safe but then peanuts are also safe .... most of the time. So if you haven't had any allergic reaction yet, I would say that it is safe for you. If the doctor gives you medication, then come here and let us know because you might not want to mix Kava with certain meds. We have people here who are well educated on what you can't mix with Kava. As with any drug, just self-monitor yourself and pay attention to any changes that are not desirable. Post your results here.

As Steve said, it is always gratifying when someone is posting that kava is helping them. There is nothing wrong with taking it "as needed". There is a library of information on this forum so just ask.

exit stage left
Thank you for the welcomes. The weekly blood tests are to monitor my electrolytes, CBC, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. I guess all the things that can get dangerously out of whack when you have an eating disorder. Luckily, my blood tests have been coming back fine except for a slightly elevated hemoglobin, which my doctor said could be from dehydration. I drink quite a bit of water though, so I'm not sure.

I'm on Abilify, lorazepam and Seroquel as well - when I used an online drug interaction checker, it warned me that combining kava with these could increase dizziness, drowsiness, etc. I don't take kava together with them though. I leave a couple of hours between the kava and the nightly medication, and make sure I'm no longer feeling the effects of the kava. So far I haven't noticed any impairment.

I used to drink way too much, while taking those meds, so in any case I feel like the kava is an improvement.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm on Abilify, lorazepam and Seroquel as well - when I used an online drug interaction checker, it warned me that combining kava with these could increase dizziness, drowsiness, etc.
The only one of those I would really worry about is the lorazepam. Kava and benzodiazepines act to some extent in similar ways on the brain (although in my opinion kava is much safer than benzos) So there is a danger that the kava could potentiate the effect of the lorazepam, or vice-versa. Even if you don't take it at the same time as kava, benzos stay in your system for a long time, so there can still be interaction. Maybe you could talk with your doctor about getting off the lorazepam and replacing it with kava; Don't stop taking it without medical advice, though, as the withdrawal can be dangerous.
But in any case alcohol + benzos is a much worse combination, so glad you are not doing that anymore.

exit stage left
Are psychiatrists usually ok with kava? She doesn't seem like the type who is going to be into me trying out a herbal remedy instead of pharmaceuticals.

I definitely know it's hard to go off benzos. I know there's a seizure risk. I was hoping to get off of them once school was finished anyway, and I had my last class of my undergraduate career on Wednesday. I'll talk to her at the end of the month about going off the lorazepam,.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm not a doctor, so I have no business telling you what meds you should or should not be taking. Just speaking from personal experience, and the experience of a lot of people on this forum, many of us have had problems with benzos, and find kava to be a safer alternative. I know some people here have used kava in the process of tapering off of benzos without problems, so I'm not necessarily saying you shouldn't take them at the same time, just saying to be careful, and reiterate that kava is preferable to alcohol.

Psychiatrists in my experience have no idea what kava is. I'm sure this is not true of all of them, but you may need to educate your psychiatrist in this case.