What's new

Kava in a Vitamix

rcvjohn

Kava Curious
Hey all, so I'm pretty new here... been lurking a bit.

I've tried Kava on and off for a couple of years, and now I'm definitely "on." It's really helping me out.

This morning I mixed a batch to bring along to work and have a small bit or so throughout the day to keep building the reverse tolerance, and take the edge off of the day.

I'm using the Vanuatu3 from Rex. In the past, I'd blended it fast and hard. I've never been much for the kneading. I know, it's not tradition, but I'm working on my technique in my own way. Today, however, I used my variable speeds on the vitamix, tossed some coconut oil in there with it, and let it spin at a medium speed for about 4 minutes or so. Then, blended it on high for about 20 seconds.

When I went to strain it, I was blown away how easy it was. There was the chunks left, but the rest just went right through. Barely had to squeeze it out at all. After smelling it, I'm actually a bit wary of trying it at work because it seems thoroughly extracted and may beat the crap out of me.

Has anyone else had any luck/experiences with this sort of thing?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It will work fine probably. I don't like blending because I think it's pretty weak but I don't have a $100+ blender.

rcvjohn

Kava Curious
Does blending typically come out weaker? I've loved my results thus far... especially once I started using coconut oil with it. Makes it so very creamy.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm working on my technique in my own way.
Exactly. That's pretty much how each of us came in to our own way of preparing kava. When you feel like you've nailed it down, let us know and we'll add your prep details to the kavapedia for other kava newbies to try.

jonas

Kava Curious
I had a little process for a while were I blended mine in a vitamix and then let it sit for a few hours. After this, I'd strain it. It was fickle to be honest. Sometimes I could get an effectual drink, but probably most of the time it was a very mild krunk, but I'm not too sure why. I really thought I'd end up with something nice and strong. Now, 2 or 3 of these drinks and I start to feel something, but just one is too subtle for me, personally.

Given what others have said about pressure and extracting, it kind of makes me want to try running kava through a manual grain mill grinder/press of some sort along with water and letting the result sit for a while. I like the idea of the kava being squeezed out of each fiber through the press. But ultimately, it's just speculation until I try it.

rcvjohn

Kava Curious
Just curious, what do the fibers look like when it has been thoroughly extracted? I'd just like to know what I'm looking at... I may do my process again tonight and take some pics to show you guys. I think it's working well. Had a very peaceful evening with my wife and kids last night thanks to Vanuatu 3 from KBR.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Rather than how they look, pick up a small amount and crumble some in your fingers. It should be fairly dry and crumbly if it's been extracted well.

violet

Do all things with love
Starting out I blended a bit with a vitamix, but found it was a lot less trouble to just knead and strain traditionally. If anything, blending is a little less potent for me. If you are going to continue blanding kava in your vitamix be aware that it will stain the container kavalactoneyellow.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Hey all, so I'm pretty new here... been lurking a bit.

I've tried Kava on and off for a couple of years, and now I'm definitely "on." It's really helping me out.

This morning I mixed a batch to bring along to work and have a small bit or so throughout the day to keep building the reverse tolerance, and take the edge off of the day.

I'm using the Vanuatu3 from Rex. In the past, I'd blended it fast and hard. I've never been much for the kneading. I know, it's not tradition, but I'm working on my technique in my own way. Today, however, I used my variable speeds on the vitamix, tossed some coconut oil in there with it, and let it spin at a medium speed for about 4 minutes or so. Then, blended it on high for about 20 seconds.

When I went to strain it, I was blown away how easy it was. There was the chunks left, but the rest just went right through. Barely had to squeeze it out at all. After smelling it, I'm actually a bit wary of trying it at work because it seems thoroughly extracted and may beat the crap out of me.

Has anyone else had any luck/experiences with this sort of thing?
I don't NORMALLY use the blender, but I have a similar 1500 watt blender, and it DEFINITELY helps for squeezing a little extra potency out.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I loved using my shitty knockoff magic bullet until the plastic disintegrated. I dont know if it was more potent but it was easier for me. The staining and eventual failure of the vessel was quick though.

rcvjohn

Kava Curious
The vitamix is pretty stout. We don't mind the staining. I use that thing to make about a gallon of green smoothie a day as well... all kinds of crazy stains going on in there.

Last night I got a batch going, and let it blend mildly, about on medium for a good few minutes. Let it sit for 20, came back to it, ran it on high for about 20, then poured it through a strainer. It was so easy to squeeze through. Not spongy at all.