What's new

Kava Kandy and Hives

Okay, so I've not had any issues drinking kava and my last time drinking it was over a week ago. Today I got my kava kandy in the mail and had just 1. Now it's 2 hours later and I've broken out into an itchy mess. Hives on my face, back, arms.. So weird. I just took a benadryl, so hopefulky that helps. The kava kandy is the only thing bed today.
Anyway, anyone else experience this with kava AFTER consumed it a few times already?

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Have you heard of dermopathy that can sometimes occur with kava? I wouldn't think that it would be exclusive to Kava candy though. Not sure what is in it that can cause what sounds like an allergic reaction... I've never had this issue personally and I consume kava candy fairly frequently

Sounds like an alergic reaction. I'd hold off on the candies, as it seems there may be something in them that doesn't agree with your system.
That was my guess, I'm gonna try next weekend some of the new ground I bought and see how it goes after this rash goes away. I hope it was just something in the Candy and not the Kava itself. (Fingers crossed)

Have you heard of dermopathy that can sometimes occur with kava? I wouldn't think that it would be exclusive to Kava candy though. Not sure what is in it that can cause what sounds like an allergic reaction... I've never had this issue personally and I consume kava candy fairly frequently
I did read up on that... And it's definitely not the dermo that's associated with heavy use. I haven't had any Kava for over a week and only two sessions prior to that.
It's more representative of hives/rash and came on suddenly after eating the Candy (i was gonna have 2, glad I decided on 1.. Lol)
But now, what to do with all this Kandy I bought ......

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
If I remember correctly, don't the kava candies contain other herbs, like chamomile? Might you have a ragweed allergy or anything similar?
You're exactly right. They do. So yes a Ragweed allergy would potentially cause that problem because of the chamomile.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like an alergic reaction. I'd hold off on the candies, as it seems there may be something in them that doesn't agree with your system.
If I remember correctly, don't the kava candies contain other herbs, like chamomile? Might you have a ragweed allergy or anything similar?
You're exactly right. They do. So yes a Ragweed allergy would potentially cause that problem because of the chamomile.
Besides chamomile, there's also lemon balm.

Last edited: