What's new

Kava kava in France... some input?

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Hello @ll,

I am not from France, but my friends sister lives in France and she would like to order Kava Kava from outside EU. She has no clue what's up with customs, tax and if it is a problem to order.
I said her it shouldn't be a problem, some online shops say 99,9% of parcels make it.

How is the legal status in France and are there any restrictions about the amount - or how it is labeled? How much do you have to pay on top at customs?

I guess I am looking forward to visit her there :) ... into my country customs seem to be a big issue.

Greetings to France or where ever you are.

KavaTasteGood

Kava Curious
I order to France and since I started (maybe 4-5 time in the same number of months) had no problem nor taxes to pay. I searched a bit about the legislation around kava in France and I don't have a perfect answer but I think it is not in the "stupéfiants" category like recreational drugs and instead put on a list of toxic plants that you cannot sell, but there is no mention of the legality of consumption.

EDIT: Ho I didn't see "order outside" EU. I'm always ordering inside EU (kavaeurope). When I order complements from the US, there is some tax if the goods values are more than a number, I think something like 100€.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I order to France and since I started (maybe 4-5 time in the same number of months) had no problem nor taxes to pay. I searched a bit about the legislation around kava in France and I don't have a perfect answer but I think it is not in the "stupéfiants" category like recreational drugs and instead put on a list of toxic plants that you cannot sell, but there is no mention of the legality of consumption.

EDIT: Ho I didn't see "order outside" EU. I'm always ordering inside EU (kavaeurope). When I order complements from the US, there is some tax if the goods values are more than a number, I think something like 100€.
Where do you order from?

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
When I order complements from the US, there is some tax if the goods values are more than a number, I think something like 100€.
I have to translate those sides. I guess they also add the shipping costs to "total value" like they do in my country ....

To me 30% - max 40% on top is something that makes sense... but everything else is just too expensive in the end. I would wish that EU has more to offer.

KavaTasteGood

Kava Curious
Where do you order from?
From kavaeurope and a 100% satisfied (the guys are out of stock for middle grained kava now, hope it doesn't last :) ). The only drawback is the price, but a disgust in alcohol and the possibility to still change a bit my conciousness nicely in a non harmfull way is gold for me.

Pzk I think it's more like 10% max for the tax, but you may find data on this on the net!

Reactions: Pzk

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
From kavaeurope and a 100% satisfied (the guys are out of stock for middle grained kava now, hope it doesn't last :) ). The only drawback is the price, but a disgust in alcohol and the possibility to still change a bit my conciousness nicely in a non harmfull way is gold for me.

Pzk I think it's more like 10% max for the tax, but you may find data on this on the net!

The question was about orders from outside of EU, kavaeurope is polish company and ships from poland. Shipments within EU is not exposed to the same control as shipments from NON EU countries.

Do you have any experience ordering kava from lets say kalmwithkava.com ? The do ship to france i think.

I do believe that one has to pay VAT on everything, and customs duties if its above a specific value 150 euro.

I do order to denmark, I do have to pay 25 % VAT Denmark do have 25 % VAT on everything.

It might be different in FRANCE regarding VAT.

KavaTasteGood

Kava Curious
Yeah to clarify i JUST order from inside EU, and only from kavaeurope. I don't have experience with ordering abroad.

I do order to denmark, I do have to pay 25 % VAT Denmark do have 25 % VAT on everything.
Interesting information (i'm moving to denmark). Do they tax everything even from EU 25%? Or it's just abroad? kalmwithkava.com is your favorite shop outside EU? I may order from outside EU if it's cheaper because after these months, I think kava has become a great pillar in my life and I won't stop anytime soon hehe.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah to clarify i JUST order from inside EU, and only from kavaeurope. I don't have experience with ordering abroad.

Interesting information (i'm moving to denmark). Do they tax everything even from EU 25%? Or it's just abroad? kalmwithkava.com is your favorite shop outside EU? I may order from outside EU if it's cheaper because after these months, I think kava has become a great pillar in my life and I won't stop anytime soon hehe.
Just Products from outside eu.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast

It not cheaper ordering outside EU but one gets a bigger selection to chose from.

I do use reshippers when ordering kava from different vendors.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
1kg of kwk "budget" vanuatu (and others) incl shipping and tax isn't cheaper? Is shipping so expensive? If you would order 3kg from kwk once, - it doesn't make sense money wise?

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Shipping seems to be very expensive then.... but yes still to try different kavas or having your favorite you can't get in EU ... why not?! I would do it. I love it to have lots of different kavas to chose.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Shipping seems to be very expensive then.... but yes still to try different kavas or having your favorite you can't get in EU ... why not?! I would do it. I love it to have lots of different kavas to chose.
Well shipping rates do differ significantly
On kwk 1 lb it's between 30 to 60 dollars

Just do your math and research.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Damn..... that's ridiculous ... but when the shipping companies really charge that much...
I can't imagine that there is no shipping option from USA to Europe for lets say 60 € for 3kg...

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Great thanks! Like I thought ... DHL about 50 Dollar for 3kg. It is a lot of stuff to think about... I guess that's too much for my friend in France...