What's new

Kava not working, even with concentrates and huge? doses...

Steven665

Hi guys,

Reading forums I got really interested and ordered 2 sample packs from KWK.

I have downed 2 bottles of concentrate at once and tried doses up to 10 tablespoons with the traditional prep and blender method (on an empty stomach, consumed with some fat) but unfortunately haven't noticed anything yet.

I have read about the reverse tolerance thing, but shouldnt 10 tbsp or the concentrates give me at least a little buzz?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi guys,

I have downed 2 bottles of concentrate at once and tried doses up to 10 tablespoons with the traditional prep and blender method (on an empty stomach, consumed with some fat) but unfortunately haven't noticed anything yet.

I have read about the reverse tolerance thing, but shouldnt 10 tbsp or the concentrates give me at least a little buzz?
Initial reverse tolerance is a debated topic, but it seems that some people just have a harder start than others when they first pick up kava. I say RT is real, it just effects some people far more than others.

Two bottles of KWK concentrate would cause me to be unable to walk for an extended period of time.

In short, you're on the right track. Just keep it up and kava will eventually unfurl and grant you access to all the effects you see us talk about.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I would also add for those unfortunate few (like me) that go through RT, it is better to drink a smaller but consistent amount of kava on a daily basis until you break through RT, like 4 tbs of dry root powder, traditionally prepared, for better results.

Once you get the first krunk, you can play around with the dosages. 10 tbs is way too much kava to drink and not feel anything.

Steven665

I would also add for those unfortunate few (like me) that go through RT, it is better to drink a smaller but consistent amount of kava on a daily basis until you break through RT, like 4 tbs of dry root powder, traditionally prepared, for better results.

Once you get the first krunk, you can play around with the dosages. 10 tbs is way too much kava to drink and not feel anything.
I'm not exaggerating though. Thats why I did it, thinking that it must do at least something, even if RT is a thing... Lol what about 20 tbsp?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm not exaggerating though. Thats why I did it, thinking that it must do at least something, even if RT is a thing... Lol what about 20 tbsp?
That's too much by any standards, even seasoned kavasseurs wouldn't prepare that much at once unless it was a party. My advice is stick to what I said above, think of kava as an SSRI med that may take up to 2 weeks to show its effects to you. Like Kapm said, not everyone goes through RT but for those of us that do, you are just wasting kava until you break through it.

Steven665

That's too much by any standards, even seasoned kavasseurs wouldn't prepare that much at once unless it was a party. My advice is stick to what I said above, think of kava as an SSRI med that may take up to 2 weeks to show its effects to you. Like Kapm said, not everyone goes through RT but for those of us that do, you are just wasting kava until you break through it.
So just stick to the 2-4 tbsp per session for a few weeks then?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So just stick to the 2-4 tbsp per session for a few weeks then?
Yes otherwise you are just wasting your money. You should probably consider 4 tbs instead of 2, I think it's a better initial dose, but we are all different so use your own judgement.

Steven665

Yeah I was thinking like wow kava is hella expensive.

Thanks for the replies. I AM SO DAMN CURIOUS, but I'll be patient and report back here soon..

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I think that different effects of kava show up a different rates when dealing with RT. Maybe you can get the nausea and puking effect if you drink 20!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Yes otherwise you are just wasting your money. You should probably consider 4 tbs instead of 2, I think it's a better initial dose, but we are all different so use your own judgement.
I agree; I am definitely thru reverse tolerance, but I still don't feel a strong effect off of 2 tbs (or really even 4 unless they are heaping); but at least at 4 tbs, it is a clear and noteworthy feeling. I would be concerned that if you break thru RT at 2 tbs and don't know what to expect from kava, you might overlook the effects.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Hi guys,

Which KWK medium grind did you try? I've found many of their batches over the past year or so to be lacking in potency. Before spending weeks or months potentially not getting any effects, I would try a couple others... like Kavafied Kava Supreme (very reliable), Nakamal at Home Stone (I've found to be the most potent noble kava available now), BKH Nangol Noble (always great), Kavatime Savusuvu (one of the strongest Fijian). 10Tbsp of any of these and you should feel something.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Which KWK medium grind did you try? I've found many of their batches over the past year or so to be lacking in potency. Before spending weeks or months potentially not getting any effects, I would try a couple others... like Kavafied Kava Supreme (very reliable), Nakamal at Home Stone (I've found to be the most potent noble kava available now), BKH Nangol Noble (always great), Kavatime Savusuvu (one of the strongest Fijian). 10Tbsp of any of these and you should feel something.
I agree with this. Kava is a diverse world that warrants attention. If you're not feeling anything with 4tbsp of one variety of kava, try a different variety from the same merchant or a different variety from a different merchant. Sample packs are your friend here. If a place doesn't offer samples, browse around the reviews under each merchant and you'll find something that may be worth your attention next. By trying variety from the get go, by the time you start reliably feeling krunk at whatever strength works for you, you'll be able to tell the differences between each kava powder you've purchased. You'll have a better idea of whether heady, balanced, or heavy kavas are for you.

Steven665

I actually bought 2 sample packs, so I had 5 varieties of medium grind and 2 varieties of the concentrate..

Steven665

I agree; I am definitely thru reverse tolerance, but I still don't feel a strong effect off of 2 tbs (or really even 4 unless they are heaping); but at least at 4 tbs, it is a clear and noteworthy feeling. I would be concerned that if you break thru RT at 2 tbs and don't know what to expect from kava, you might overlook the effects.
I see where you are coming from. Thanks for the advice guys! :)