What's new

Kava Perception and legality

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Hello Fine people of the Kava forums!

This thread falls into a couple categories, one as an introduction and also as a question that references the title. I've lurked the forum for a while as many before me, and been consuming this wonderful plant for about two years. Just recently been poking around at different strains and am completely amazed by the vastly different experiences/feelings that can be brought on. It can be truly thearaputic, or used as an intoxicant for a lack of a better word.

This Kava community truly embodies what Kava is about. A simbiotic relationship between vendors offering fantastic products and a community that keeps them in check. It's great to see businesses that are passionate about what they are doing! So BULA to everyone!

Now on to the main course! I believe due the nature of Kava it has stayed off of the radar of what people would consider mainstream. As it gains more popularity in the US I'm afraid of more restrictions being put in place for a lack of understanding on what Kava is to the public. When hearing of Kava bars popping up I tend to get mixed feelings. I think it is wonderful that people are being introduced to Kava but at the same time apprehensive about what may come.

I'm not sure what would be best. From my own knowledge I don't believe there is much regulation in the US, even if there was who would be the best option? I'd just hate to see a place bring negative attention to Kava by serving uneducated patrons Tudei Kava.

Also how is Kava perceived by law inforcement if they even know what it is? I'd have to assume that they would treat it the same as alcohol.

Maybe I worry too much, just curious on others opinions.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Welcome to the forums. I think there is some good regulations in place. Fortunately the majority of experienced kava consumers prefer noble kava and understands the differences. They both have a historical place, imo. I think self regulation is the best approach.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I absolutely agree with the notion of self regulation. I'm more afraid of the idea of Kava becoming mainstream to the point that more regulations/laws become necessary. Especially If the uneducated general public view it as a "legal high." I can easily seeing some politician deeming it dangerous without proper studies being conducted.

But it's also very possible Kava won't ever gain that type of attention. Especially with the reverse tolerance effect, and proper preparation probably turning most people away looking for that.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Now on to the main course! I believe due the nature of Kava it has stayed off of the radar of what people would consider mainstream. As it gains more popularity in the US I'm afraid of more restrictions being put in place for a lack of understanding on what Kava is to the public. .
I believe that Kava has 2 big things going for it in this regard:

1) It's non-addictive -- at least physically. When compared to something like K@ that has literally thousands of posts on the internet about withdrawals and addiction, Kava has a very clean track record. I think one would be hard pressed to find half a dozen posts where people were complaining of any kind of adverse symptoms from ceasing Kava consumption.

2) There is a whole Polynesian cultural aspect to Kava. I believe Hawaii even made it their state beverage or some such recently. There were be a fairly large resistance, and probably lobbing, if some kind of a Kava ban was proposed.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm curious if anyone has ever been inspired to do something stupid while under the influence of kava, other than being sloppy in preparing more so you puked? My experience of kava is that it prevents me from being stupid, mainly because it makes me want to just sit there and not do anything.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
To me kava feels not just not addicting, but like some sort of powerful anti-addiction energy, as if everything kava is about is the exact opposite of everything to do with addiction. Except for my pineapple paraphernalia cluttering up my kitchen. BK I wasn't addicted to anything (though I have been in the past, e.g. pack a day cigarette smoker from 1980 - 1990) but SK I am not only not addicted to anything, I feel like I am much less capable than at any time before in my life of becoming addicted to anything or any behaviour. Or is it just me? I swear, I feel it, like a super power coursing through me, the anti-addiction, some sort of sacred gift or blessing, almost like a kiss bestowed. OTOH, I could just be nuts and only imagining all this. That's why I ask for the occasional reality-check. Or at least, if it is just an hallucination, I think collective hallucinations are nicer and it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the Kava Forums. Alcohol is prone to making you do stupid things because it can make you hyper and it seems to stimulate the stupidity hormone in males. Kava just wants to make you relax and do something low key. We do make a big deal out of Tudei because it can make you sick if you are not careful and it can be strong enough to put an unsuspecting "kiddie" flat on his ass and sick to boot. Our worse fear is some PTA mom launching a campaign against Kava because Junior got sick. Fortunately, Junior can access weed more easily than kava and so I hope it stays that way.

D

Deleted User01

Good info Kapm. When I read about Europe's concern about Liver Toxicity, I wonder if anyone ever looked at how Wine (France), Beer (Germany), and Whiskey (Ireland and Scotland) effect your liver. Just based on the hangover I get when I drink too much of any of the above, I can say that Alcohol is very toxic and Kava helps me keep that to a minimum. I also want to add that the Kava Bars need to have a code of conduct for both themselves and their patrons if they want to keep Kava out of the limelight.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Is it my imagination or is that pretty much all fair and accurate info in that .pdf? Is that some new trend in gov't documents I missed noticing?

D

Deleted User01

Is it my imagination or is that pretty much all fair and accurate info in that .pdf? Is that some new trend in gov't documents I missed noticing?
You didn't know? The Kava Forums has a "mole" installed deep in the stinky bowels of the federal gov'mint and he wrote that document. Codename, "KavaOps". Yeah, he's the mellow one in the corner that's minding his own business and trying to be helpful. :love:

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
That PDF is awesome Kapm!! Like I mentioned I would just hate to see Kava garner any substantial bad press due to ignorance.

How do you feel about Kava in public? Should it be treated the same as alcohol I.E. public intox/operating a vehicle? I feel as though there are strains that don't effect coordination so much, while others definitely do!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
How do you feel about Kava in public? Should it be treated the same as alcohol I.E. public intox/operating a vehicle? I feel as though there are strains that don't effect coordination so much, while others definitely do!
I will always err on the side of caution and suggest that if you have to question your ability to drive in any capacity, don't. I don't make the rules for driving, but our state does. If they can somehow tell you are intoxicated...you get a DUI. As far as I know it is very uncommon to see a report for a DUI with kava (it HAS happened, just not often) As for public intoxication from kava. If you're intoxicated enough from kava that people can tell, you're probably not walking, and not making much of a disturbance. I'd say you'd have a hard time picking between someone sitting in a chair who was stone cold sober and someone sitting in a chair that was in a state of over-krunk as long as sir kavalot didn't try to stand up or say anything ;-)

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I will always err on the side of caution and suggest that if you have to question your ability to drive in any capacity, don't. I don't make the rules for driving, but our state does. If they can somehow tell you are intoxicated...you get a DUI. As far as I know it is very uncommon to see a report for a DUI with kava (it HAS happened, just not often) As for public intoxication from kava. If you're intoxicated enough from kava that people can tell, you're probably not walking, and not making much of a disturbance. I'd say you'd have a hard time picking between someone sitting in a chair who was stone cold sober and someone sitting in a chair that was in a state of over-krunk as long as sir kavalot didn't try to stand up or say anything ;-)
I absolutely agree with that. Even if one doesn't feel as though it is effectively lowering coordination, when it comes to public safety it really shouldn't be a choice. With that said though I have used a kava candy while driving when stressed but that seems a bit different, probably not in legal perspective though.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Most people in the U.S. think kava is a weird tea flavor you get at the grocery store let alone L.E.O's knowing that it even exists. I've come across a grand total of 1 doctor in 5 years that even knew what kava was.

It becoming main stream, I think, is far more of a threat than anything else at the moment....at least as far as your everyday kava consumer goes anyways.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am not too worried about kava becoming "mainstream" in the US. It may gain in popularity and might even be a fashionable fad for a while but long term it will not even come close to the ingrained social appeal and intoxication of alcohol. Lets face it alcohol, even with all of its bad effects, is so interwoven into our society nothing else except for weed even stands a chance of becoming really mainstream. Add to that that even a shot tequila is tastier than gulping down 8oz of grog and you have a non-winner. It is likely that kava will remain a smaller niche community who, for various reasons, prefer its appeal. Now - I could be completely wrong if the millions of Xanax (and similar meds) crowd all decide to give up their prescriptions and try and find something better, but even then it is tough sell. I know several people who are in this demographic and I have tried to get them to try kava with very limited success.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I am not too worried about kava becoming "mainstream" in the US. It may gain in popularity and might even be a fashionable fad for a while but long term it will not even come close to the ingrained social appeal and intoxication of alcohol. Lets face it alcohol, even with all of its bad effects, is so interwoven into our society nothing else except for weed even stands a chance of becoming really mainstream. Add to that that even a shot tequila is tastier than gulping down 8oz of grog and you have a non-winner. It is likely that kava will remain a smaller niche community who, for various reasons, prefer its appeal. Now - I could be completely wrong if the millions of Xanax (and similar meds) crowd all decide to give up their prescriptions and try and find something better, but even then it is tough sell. I know several people who are in this demographic and I have tried to get them to try kava with very limited success.
We can only hope (within reason)