What's new

Kava Rash/hives

KavaNoob716

Kava Curious
I've been using Kava for about 3 weeks now with no issue, and typically never go above 60 g a day. Two nights ago I wanted to make around 80 g in three cups and during my straining on the second wash I think some of the root got out and mixed with the grog. I haven't used any since at night but now have a very significant rash/hives.

I have read quite a bit on it in the last 2 days and it sounds like this happens to some people and isn't anything serious so right now I am just drinking lots of water, trying to sweat it out, and taking b vitamins. Just curious if anybody has had a reaction like this and what my expedite the healing process??

Attachments

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
I have heard of this happening...was there any warning signs leading up to this? Any itching or rashes, even small?

sorry to hear this mate, hope you recover soon and that your not in too much discomfort

KavaNoob716

Kava Curious
I did have a few sessions with itching but that was minor and no skin inflammation. Day 4 and the hives are down a bit but the itching is still horrible, scalp to toes. My face is red and blotchy as well.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
A few times over a long period if time I have had a red swollen face and very itchy scalp, which I mostly put down to older poorly sealed dry kava - mould. Was your kava old?

KavaNoob716

Kava Curious
I wouldn't think so, it was a sealed package from Best Fiji Kava. It is day 4 and I'm in better shape with the rash down over 50% but my scalp itches and my face is red and blotchy. It also seems to have made my occipital lymph nodes swell which is a bit painful.

KavaNoob716

Kava Curious
I wouldn't think so, it was a sealed package from Best Fiji Kava. It is day 4 and I'm in better shape with the rash down over 50% but my scalp itches and my face is red and blotchy. It also seems to have made my occipital lymph nodes swell which is a bit painful.
Meant day 5

E

experia

The same thing is happening to me now. I drank kava for exactly 2 weeks 30-40g every evening. Rash appeared yesterday so my last kava drink was 2 days ago. Today it has gotten a lot worse so I'm going to the doctor in 3 hours. It's almost everywhere - Face, chest, stomach, back, bottom. My ears and chest are completely red without any unaffected skin and a swollen. There's some also on my limbs but the itch isn't so bad there.

I've had kava from 3 different packages, none of them opened before. From reputable sellers in Europe. No root has gotten out of the bag. No warning signs, not even dry skin. I'm happy that it didn't occur during the first week of quitting drinking alcohol. But... I'm mostly sad as I don't think I'll be having it again since my face looks like I might need an EpiPen soon.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It seems some people have or develop a kava allergy. I doubt it was triggered by your root spilling into the grog, since 1) there will be root powder in your final drink no matter what, and 2) I have been drinking kava for a decade and have never once had this reaction, same as most long timers here. Every few weeks someone posts about the allergy, it sucks and I don’t know if some people get over it and can go back to kava as I haven’t followed their threads closely