What's new

Kava reducing symptoms of seasonal allergies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Hey folks,

I've got super bad spring allergies, and I've noticed a strange, but very consistent effect: Kava dramatically reduces the symptoms of my allergies. It only lasts as long as I'm feeling the kava, but it's really substantial. While it doesn't seem to affect sneezing, it reduces all my other allergy symptoms (runny nose, foggy head, etc.). I am not one to ascribe mystical benefits to kava- or any other botanical for that matter- but the size of this effect has been huge. Has anyone else noticed this, or is this just me?

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey folks,

I've got super bad spring allergies, and I've noticed a strange, but very consistent effect: Kava dramatically reduces the symptoms of my allergies. It only lasts as long as I'm feeling the kava, but it's really substantial. While it doesn't seem to affect sneezing, it reduces all my other allergy symptoms (runny nose, foggy head, etc.). I am not one to ascribe mystical benefits to kava- or any other botanical for that matter- but the size of this effect has been huge. Has anyone else noticed this, or is this just me?
Hmm... Could that be from an anti-inflammatory effect?
Recentreturn is likely on the money there. Kava is a pretty effective anti-inflammatory seemingly at least on par with ibuprofen. We've seen people come forward with many odd positive effects related to issues they were having with inflammation in one way or another. I'm sure @Krunkie McKrunkface could give you some experience there.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Rubny nose is a form of laxaty the tissues are loose and leaky .. Astringents help this aka a banana before its ripe ... But in herb form.. Aka red rasberryleaf tea or black tea without milk is very astringent
I notice excess kava will cause lax tissues everywhere. And diuretic action is a form of laxaty as well.. Same with a laxative .. That one still uses that system

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Good point. I’m not sure how it affects the runny nose, but I think it reduces that as along with the general inflammation. Fortunately I have many more days for self experimentation, as spring is still going strong here in the SE US!

Yes, I’ve noticed it helps my sinus headaches and ear pain. Not the runny nose so much though.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
spring hasnt arrived in the NE yet! lol snow on the ground today in buffalo... just got a flu like virus or something going around again! Migraines and flu like symptoms going around lol

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I've heard this a few times around the tanoa in Fiji... yaqona is good for colds.

Having never tried it myself, I've never put much stock in the claim, merely assuming that people will use any excuse to drink grog lol.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've heard this a few times around the tanoa in Fiji... yaqona is good for colds.

Having never tried it myself, I've never put much stock in the claim, merely assuming that people will use any excuse to drink grog lol.
I have often found medicinal/health effects in Fijian kavas that I do not experience with other kavas, which means that no matter how much I like kavas from elsewhere, a certain minimum proportion of kava I drink will invariably be Fijian. Fortunatel, there is so much really good Fijian root this means no suffering at all. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Also, after much experimentation with many varieties, I can now confidently generalize the formula to:

1/2 Fijian waka + 1/2 Tongan = a good blend.

And you can put in anything that fits those variables and you will have success. It will vary in quality from say, Best Fijian Waka + Tikaram Kava Tonga, on one end to Squanch plus TFR (although Kadavu or SavuSavu + Leka Hina is basically a tie, maybe just a teeny red hair less superlative, but very close) at the other end. But all are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.