What's new

Kava-related aches and pains? Looking for some wisdom.

Hi all! As the title says, I’d really appreciate some insight (and perhaps some reassurance). I had a huge post prepared, but I’ve pared it down so as not to take up too much of your time. It’ll probably still run long, so thanks in advance to those good Samaritans willing to brave the wall of text.

Long story short, I quit alcohol for good in April and returned to the root, so to speak. I’ve ridden the alcohol rollercoaster since my early twenties, getting off for longish stretches because of the obvious reasons and then back on because of life stresses and the desire to just get out of my head and relax like a normal person. Being on the spectrum, stress is a constant part of my life. I need something to it, but I don’t want that something to be pharmaceuticals and I know now that it can’t be alcohol either. Alcohol is the drug that *clicks* for me. A few people here will probably understand immediately why that’s a big red flag.

Anyway, I’ve used kava during dry jaunts in the past and liked it a lot, except for some nasty gut issues. Now I have a better strainer and those issues are resolved. I’ve really been getting more enjoyment out of the noble root and it’s helped me break out of a long destructive cycle before it got a chance to break me. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for that, really.

That said, I have some concerns. I use kava three times a week, around 50 grams a session in 1,2 L of water. Traditional prep, kneading with lukewarm water. I use Kava Europe’s Pacific Elixir and Bir Kar, which I understand to be sourced from The Kava Society in NZ.

I got a liver panel done a few weeks after quitting alcohol and taking up kava. Everything was fine. Main goal there was to see if my liver was okay after about a year of heavy drinking. I didn’t want to risk taxing it with kava if it wasn’t. To my relief, it was all good. I stayed the course, leaning into kava at first to carry me away from alcohol’s siren-sung shores, then easing back a bit once I was in a better place.

My concerns are twofold. Firstly, kava seems to have begun interfering with my sleep. In April, it wasn’t a problem at all. Enjoyed kava at night, dropped into bed and sailed into dreamland. Now, it seems to keep me up. I take 600 mg of L-theanine on kava nights only, just to make getting to sleep a bit easier. That helps a bit, but I still find it weird that I’d suddenly develop insomnia without changing anything about my kava ritual. If anybody has some guidance on this, I’d love to hear it. I’m a night owl and like staying up late with kava, but I also want to be able to get to sleep when I turn in. Never been a issue before so I’m confused as to why it’s cropping up now.

Secondly and most importantly, my body just seems... off... somehow. Muscle aches, joint pain, weakness, tremors, weird skin sensations that feel almost like burning. Had no problem with this at first, but it's started to creep in over the past two months. I've also noticed during exercise that my strength seems to be sagging a bit. I really wanted to have some kava tonight, got a fresh delivery just yesterday, but I can’t shake the feeling that these symptoms might be connected. And now my eternally suspicious subconscious is starting to give kava the side-eye. I haven’t had any since last Friday, so I figure everything should be cleared right out of my system by now. But still, the weird aches and pains persist, albeit at a lower level than I might get the day or second day after kava.

In case you’re wondering, I don’t use any other substances. My daily vitamin regimen consists of a B complex without B6, a large dose of D3 because of natural deficiency, magnesium citrate and milk thistle. I do drink strong tea in the evenings, but that’s about as exciting as things get outside of kava.

Can anybody shine a light on this? Share some sources, offer perspective, talk some gentle sense into a worried mind? I know from experience that I can spend years sober, but I also know that if I don’t use something else to unwind and take a breather, I simply spend those years marinating in cortisol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi all! As the title says, I’d really appreciate some insight (and perhaps some reassurance). I had a huge post prepared, but I’ve pared it down so as not to take up too much of your time. It’ll probably still run long, so thanks in advance to those good Samaritans willing to brave the wall of text.

Long story short, I quit alcohol for good in April and returned to the root, so to speak. I’ve ridden the alcohol rollercoaster since my early twenties, getting off for longish stretches because of the obvious reasons and then back on because of life stresses and the desire to just get out of my head and relax like a normal person. Being on the spectrum, stress is a constant part of my life. I need something to it, but I don’t want that something to be pharmaceuticals and I know now that it can’t be alcohol either. Alcohol is the drug that *clicks* for me. A few people here will probably understand immediately why that’s a big red flag.

Anyway, I’ve used kava during dry jaunts in the past and liked it a lot, except for some nasty gut issues. Now I have a better strainer and those issues are resolved. I’ve really been getting more enjoyment out of the noble root and it’s helped me break out of a long destructive cycle before it got a chance to break me. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for that, really.

That said, I have some concerns. I use kava three times a week, around 50 grams a session in 1,2 L of water. Traditional prep, kneading with lukewarm water. I use Kava Europe’s Pacific Elixir and Bir Kar, which I understand to be sourced from The Kava Society in NZ.

I got a liver panel done a few weeks after quitting alcohol and taking up kava. Everything was fine. Main goal there was to see if my liver was okay after about a year of heavy drinking. I didn’t want to risk taxing it with kava if it wasn’t. To my relief, it was all good. I stayed the course, leaning into kava at first to carry me away from alcohol’s siren-sung shores, then easing back a bit once I was in a better place.

My concerns are twofold. Firstly, kava seems to have begun interfering with my sleep. In April, it wasn’t a problem at all. Enjoyed kava at night, dropped into bed and sailed into dreamland. Now, it seems to keep me up. I take 600 mg of L-theanine on kava nights only, just to make getting to sleep a bit easier. That helps a bit, but I still find it weird that I’d suddenly develop insomnia without changing anything about my kava ritual. If anybody has some guidance on this, I’d love to hear it. I’m a night owl and like staying up late with kava, but I also want to be able to get to sleep when I turn in. Never been a issue before so I’m confused as to why it’s cropping up now.

Secondly and most importantly, my body just seems... off... somehow. Muscle aches, joint pain, weakness, tremors, weird skin sensations that feel almost like burning. Had no problem with this at first, but it's started to creep in over the past two months. I've also noticed during exercise that my strength seems to be sagging a bit. I really wanted to have some kava tonight, got a fresh delivery just yesterday, but I can’t shake the feeling that these symptoms might be connected. And now my eternally suspicious subconscious is starting to give kava the side-eye. I haven’t had any since last Friday, so I figure everything should be cleared right out of my system by now. But still, the weird aches and pains persist, albeit at a lower level than I might get the day or second day after kava.

In case you’re wondering, I don’t use any other substances. My daily vitamin regimen consists of a B complex without B6, a large dose of D3 because of natural deficiency, magnesium citrate and milk thistle. I do drink strong tea in the evenings, but that’s about as exciting as things get outside of kava.

Can anybody shine a light on this? Share some sources, offer perspective, talk some gentle sense into a worried mind? I know from experience that I can spend years sober, but I also know that if I don’t use something else to unwind and take a breather, I simply spend those years marinating in cortisol.
No mitragyna speciosa? No "sober curious" products? I'm sorry I have to ask, but it's so common these days it's somewhat an epidemic of its own.

No mitragyna speciosa? No "sober curious" products? I'm sorry I have to ask, but it's so common these days it's somewhat an epidemic of its own.
Totally understand the question, but no. Neither of these are in play.

I have used mitragyna speciosa in the past, but I'm one of those happy outliers who are immune to the spiraling dosage creep that apparently transforms a lot of dabblers into fiends. It was a very successful alternative to alcohol in its own right and I enjoyed it (sparingly) for a time, but we've since parted ways. For me, it's a once or twice a year kinda thing. Kava just feels more worthwhile.

As for the "sober curious" products, I'm assuming you're referring to something other than soda, tea and non-alcoholic beers? I'll have a capsaicin-infused ginger beer every now and then as a treat, but then I also eat spicy foods. Doesn't seem like that'd be an issue, but maybe I'm not picking up on a euphemism somewhere.

Oh, and although I live in the Netherlands, I'm not a fan of our national leafy greens either. Tried it many times, but never found the experience worth the mental confusion and other side effects.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Excellent! With that out of the way, and remember I'm not a physician, 150g per week is on the very low end of kava consumption. While you may be experiencing some of the skin effects we see with long term consumption, I truly doubt these aches and pains are related. Kava is a fickle plant, and as such, even with the best processors, it can vary at times. One specific kava may put you to sleep SO well, but 3 months later you notice it actually begins to keep you from sleeping. I realize your location will hinder your options, but occasionally kava just doesn't do what we want it to, and I believe it comes down to natural chemical variability.

Personally I've always found these sort of things to just be part of the whole show. We roll with the punches, and kava can certainly throw them at times.

In terms of your overall health, there are various flavonoids and vitamins and minerals in kava, and truthfully unless you're getting to around the 1lb+ per week mark, you won't see any of the really heavy side effects like lethargy and the peeling alligator skin. All in all, including the research, it's rather safe. Our empirical observations with it show entire generations of people drinking it regularly (daily if not multiple times per week). It's the national beverage of Fiji.

We get this twisted perception of kava through the media and what we've heard over the years. Gotta be careful of your liver!

Nah, members of this forum drink AS much kava or more than some Pacific Islanders. I've physically seen their liver function tests. No deviation from normal. I'm almost 20 years in, and have my metabolism tests yearly. Good there too.

It's safe.

With that in mind, I'm not sure what might be causing your other issues. It's possible it's some sort of off effect where you sit differently when drinking kava being so relaxed, and it causes some type of skeletal upset. There's really no way to tie that back to kava directly.

That's very encouraging, thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this! I wanted to get back to you sooner, but the past few days have been a bit hectic. Wound up making some kava last night and while I'm feeling some of the effects I mentioned today, I've decided to stay the course and just take it as it comes. It's honestly a lot easier to ease off the throttle with kava than I've grown accustomed to with alcohol. The 'want' is there, but not the 'need'.

I suspect that my issues are probably more related to the twists and turns of living with autism, which in my case makes integrating bodily signals rather tough at times. I tend to view physical discomfort as a primary signal that must therefore also have a primary cause, so I'm quick to jump to conclusions that it must be something I'm actively 'doing wrong', as opposed to subtler causes like a relaxed frame. When that happens, a little reassurance goes a long way. So thanks for that, much appreciated!

JohnofGaunt

Kava Curious
I’d suggest trying different Kava manufacturers. Every Kava is different and I’ve found the after affects can really be very different too. For example the Kava company you are referring too, I love that kava it’s great and very strong. But if I don’t strain it thouroughly, it makes me feel awful after a few days of regular use. So I take it easy on that one it’s too strong for my complexion.

Well, I've given it some more time and tried different kava, but my issues remain largely the same. Had some Melo Melo yesterday evening. Today, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Body aches, weird muscle tremors that are almost like shivering, joint pain, feeling very tense. It's all rather puzzling. I can't seem to find any similar experiences on the forums here, nor did I ever encounter these issues myself in the past. I find it unlikely in the extreme that I'd be a statistical outlier on this. I'm really at a loss here.

I don't use anything alongside kava except vitamins, milk thistle and l-theanine. I started taking 400mg of potassium citrate this last week because I read in a thread here that the diuretic effect of kava can deplete potassium levels (and my diet is highly deficient in potassium anyway). So far, I haven't really seen any effect. Not even placebo.

Went to my doctor yesterday. She's stumped, but taking my complaints seriously. Didn't mention kava because that would then automatically become the 'root cause', regardless of whatever else might be going on. Anyway, she referred me for a blood panel, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if anything fixable turns up there. I'll report back once I get the results, if for no other reason than to add another set of clean liver values to the pile.

In the meantime, though, if anybody has any other theories or insights, I'd really appreciate y'all weighing in. Might be something really minor and stupid I'm doing wrong that I'm not aware of.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
milk thistle
If I'd pick something out that is maybe sus, I'd pick that one. I tried kava (melo melo) and that together and experienced more sedation, definitely, and maybe heavy effects more than expected. I have tried it just once.

If you want to test then ALAT (liver), GFR (kidney) and the before mentioned potassium would be nice (minimal list).

If you want to take liver protection for some reason then acetylcysteine a couple of times a week (200 mg or 600 mg) has been without kava interaction for me.