What's new

Kava Resistant?

pelouk

New to kava and have been trying some micronized KWK Puoni Ono. I was advised to start off with one heaped teaspoon in 200 ml of water with a splash of milk and I did so. Just mixed it up, gave it a shake and drank it down but had no subsequent effect. I waited a day, doubled the dose, still in 200 ml water and still no effect. I've repeated the 2 spoonfuls again today but to no avail. Nothing - no buzz, no relaxation, etc and I'm now wondering if I'm one of the rare types for whom kava just doesn't work - or am I doing something wrong. Any advice would ne appreciated.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
New to kava and have been trying some micronized KWK Puoni Ono. I was advised to start off with one heaped teaspoon in 200 ml of water with a splash of milk and I did so. Just mixed it up, gave it a shake and drank it down but had no subsequent effect. I waited a day, doubled the dose, still in 200 ml water and still no effect. I've repeated the 2 spoonfuls again today but to no avail. Nothing - no buzz, no relaxation, etc and I'm now wondering if I'm one of the rare types for whom kava just doesn't work - or am I doing something wrong. Any advice would ne appreciated.
Welcome to kf :) - Here is some information to help you better understand the basics and the answer to your question.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/brdc-document/frequently-asked-questions.1/

pelouk

Thanks for that. I've had a good look through the links you provided. It would seem that I've either got to stick with it at the same two teaspoons for maybe months or give it a miss. I'm not sure I can put up indefinitely with the same level of nausea every day that I'm experiencing now.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I drink 5 or 6 Tbsp of micronized in an evening to get the "fullest" effects, but I definitely feel 2 tablespoons in most cases. I'm somewhat 'kava resistant' in comparison to some people.

tallguy

Kava Curious
As a nembie to kava, I'll watch your kava experience with great interest.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Since you already bought the kava, I would see how you feel when you keep increasing. Try 2 tablespoons or more if needed

pelouk

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to hang in there, at least for a couple of weeks, and also increase the dosage.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to hang in there, at least for a couple of weeks, and also increase the dosage.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't write it off until I had tried 6-7 heaping teaspoons over the course of an hour or less (depending on nausea). Not saying you should go that high with the dose; but it's hard to imagine feeling absolutely nothing from that.
Also, you could try a different variety. I don't currently drink micro, but I remember when I tried GHK's micro sampler a couple years ago, I felt almost nothing from Nene, but felt the others strongly.

NileKinnick

Kava Curious
Pouni Ono is also supposed to be a "headier" kava. I don't get much in the way of effects from that in the evening if I've had a couple meals during the day. Even if I start 4-5 hours after my last meal. I got the strongest effects from the Pouni Ono when I made a traditional prep 1:1 with Borogu and had a couple shells in the morning on an empty stomach after a full nights sleep.

pelouk

Pouni Ono is also supposed to be a "headier" kava. I don't get much in the way of effects from that in the evening if I've had a couple meals during the day. Even if I start 4-5 hours after my last meal. I got the strongest effects from the Pouni Ono when I made a traditional prep 1:1 with Borogu and had a couple shells in the morning on an empty stomach after a full nights sleep.
I'm still getting no effect from 3/4 heaped teaspoons, usually taken 3 to 4 hours after breakfast. Maybe I should follow your example but I don't know if I could handle kava that early in the day.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I was really fortunate in that when I started drinking kava a year ago my first purchase was 3 pounds of kava for $12/lb. I had no effects, despite daily drinking, for 2 months, other than vivid dreams, which kicked in after 2 weeks. I supposed I vaguely felt like I had more focus in my thoughts, (oh, and I did, major kava effect) but I really didn't understand what it was or what it meant. Anyway, because I had three whole pounds, and they were cheap, I knew what a bargain I'd gotten (it's a salvage grocery place that sells a lot of Amazon returns, some at good prices some at terrible and they had no idea what kava is or is worth), and so I felt committed to see it through, especially as it wasn't really costing me that much. Had that not been the case, I probably would have given up forever, thinking the whole thing was bogus, a giant collective placebo effect. I was very fortunate it worked out as it did.