What's new

Kava Shudders

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I dont know about the rest of you, but often when I do kava I have to do an almost involuntary convulsion - sort of like "shaking off" the taste, shaking my mouth as well as the rest of my body, almost like I'm shivering from being really cold. My girlfriend makes fun of me, but I really find the taste revolting and find this quite necessary a lot of the time.. Anyone else do something similar?

PS, I know a lot of you claim to enjoy the taste, but I flat out dont believe you :)

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
yes, and i also do an involuntary pounding my fist on the counter, i wasnt aware of this until my wife pointed it out.

The taste really varies day to day for me, not sure why it bothers me more sometimes versus others

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Buddhacide said:
PS, I know a lot of you claim to enjoy the taste, but I flat out dont believe you :)

Say what you will but kava is like a fine wine the same way that a wild bear makes a good house pet. I'm totally with you there. Yep I get the shudders too. Just tastes so damn good.

kl.Letharia

Kava Curious
I don't mind the taste, but I do shudder...I usually just feel cold after drinking Kava! Is this normal? Maybe it's a coincidence... (Sorry, doesn't address your topic. lol)

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
Definitely, just did it today. I think Moi may be the only kava that didn't give me that reaction, sure wish I could find some--should have got my co-worker to pick some up when he was on vacation there. Oh well.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I'll definitely shudder after a particularly muddy kava.

... and woah, Gray Owl is back.

kl.RelaxforLife

Kava Curious
Yes it happens. It's like the first sip is so strange . but every sip after that gets progressively better tasting and easier to handle.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
RelaxforLife said:
Yes it happens. It's like the first sip is so strange . but every sip after that gets progressively better tasting and easier to handle. 
^This. With each shell I find it easier. Even if I get some nausea from the first couple shells, if I keep drinking (with decent time gaps) it gets better.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Shudder? Pff! I drink content and satisfied.

My problem is having trouble swallowing when my throat gets too numb.

scampo

Kava Curious
I'm envious of you guys that actually like the way it tastes. To me, it tastes like monkey shit. If I was a dog, I would be licking my own butt after a shell to get the taste out of my mouth.

I have tried a few ways to make it taste less bad, but I still get the shudders during prep / before a shell.

kl.midas

Kava Enthusiast
I get the shudders too when drinking kava, I don't think I'll ever acquire a taste for it. That said, it's nowhere near bad enough that I would stop drinking it. Using rice milk instead of water makes it taste WAY better, though it drives the cost per shell up quite a bit so I usually stick with water.

Steve973

Kava Curious
I find that I can tolerate the taste of some better than others. For some reason, for example, Wow! kava really turns me off. It might just be a matter of figuring out what works best for you. Good luck!

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
Shudders for sure.  Almost every time. 

I'm with those who can't abide the taste.  I do make a small, concentrated amount (ensuring maximum grossness), but still.  It's gotten moderately easier to drink over the years but that's just 'cause I've figured out how to swallow it with quickness.  I just pinch my nose and toss it back.  I'm such a pussy.

kl.Lente

Kava Curious
I get the shudders. It is almost like jumping into a real cold river back where I grew up in The Adirondacks. Then some weird face shakes. Then I usually scream "Bula" for my own amusment.

I have to say, I wonder if there is something going on with the taste, like with Cilantro, where a portion of the population tastes something different than everyone else.

Because except for Pavlonian conditioning, I am not a fan of the taste.

uuku pi

Kava Enthusiast
Sometimes it does not taste as bad as other times. I have stopped adding anything. I have gotten used to it.

kl.sakamoto

Kava Curious
I was working my way through a bag of White Sand, really enjoying the taste. Without thinking, I mixed up a batch of Stone, took a slug, and... all of a sudden remembered why people said the taste was bad...

I'm pretty sure I shuddered. I think I also clutched my throat and tried to gurgle something weak and profane.

Calvincs

Kava Curious
Vekta said:
Shudder? Pff! I drink content and satisfied.

My problem is having trouble swallowing when my throat gets too numb.
Agreed.  The fist cup is a little 'yupp.. there it is.. ' but it is so much better then when I first started drinking Kava.  

I tend to find it more difficult to drink when I cant "feel" my throat, or my lips and face go numb.  

Its just apart of the experience, totally worth it.