What's new

Kava Tasting Notes

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I was thinking. They have tasting notes for wine...even water. Why not Kava? List tasting/ smelling notes that you can think of.

I'll start...

Earth (dirt)
Pine
clay
wheat
toasted nuts
coffee
paper
pepper
spice
wood

kavalover

Outsider
Rubber glove is a flavor profile I've only found in stone kava. Not my favorite, by far.
Bleh, rubber glove. Good way of putting it, nearly all instant kavas that I've tried with the exception of shaman from n@h has had this rubber glove taste. Puts me off of them really.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Bile :sour: only half kidding about that. Sometimes, something just gets me on the very back of the tongue and makes my jaws feel weird. Not sure how else to describe that.

I drank Tongan Pride on the beach and it felt right, taste-wise. Like i was drinking the beach. Solomon's is kinda like that too. I've noted the pepper taste from Boroguru before, that was kinda nice.

D

Deleted User01

I guess Piney is one of the things I smell or taste with Koniak. The rest is just dirt or grass. I like Tidyminions beach description but that may be a good example of set and setting. I don't have a very good sense of smell or taste but I know a Peaty Scotch when I taste one. And a Piney Kava is easy to spot. It's like the IPA of Kavas. In any event, because of my lack of good taste buds, I have no problem slamming down the Kava even on queasy days. BULA!

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Dishwater. Luke warm dishwater.

Actually to be fair It does have a range of profiles. I taste pepper very strongly in some strains.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Earth (dirt/ muddy)
Pine
clay
wheat
toasted nuts
coffee
paper
pepper
spice
wood

Added notes:

Butter/Cream
Grass
Sour
Quinine (bitter)
Mineral

Pending additions:

Beach*

* Needs some clarification. What's it mean and should we use it?

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

Freash kava is sappy ++.. you can tell its just come out of a live plant.

People ask me what it tastes like & i reply with…'find a dead possum on the road, get a funnel & fill it with mud & pepper then shake for 2 mins & decant through its arse'

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Rubber glove???? almost sounds like methyl bromide to me, do you think it could have been that, I have never had any Vanuatu kava that was like you described, I have had some from Vanuatu and other places that had been treated with Methyl Bromide and it makes the kava bad tasting and smelling.
Aloha.

Chris

Bert07

Me like da kava
I don't taste anything anymore. I go great lengths to chug as fast as possible, while holding my nose the entire time and then right after chasing with a glass of juice, followed by a rinse of Listerine.

kavakavakrunk

Kava = Peace
I find Kava to be very zesty with a zing to it. I guess these would go along the lines of being spicy and or peppery. But when I'm downing that glass of grog all I think in my head is how zesty and numbing it is to my throat/mouth followed by a cringe and (depending on the strain) pleasant light headedness.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Nope, I do it sometimes. It depends if I'm feelin it or not.

Tonight I'm going to try out my new kava cups (Japanese stoneware sake/beer tumblers :cool:) and have some Caribbean stewed pumpkin and shrimp. I will most likely be sipping some Tanna Marang-Marang with it.:happy:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Damn that's classy as hell Vekta. I'm going to be drinking alcohol tonight so no kava but tomorrow is fiji waka from a plastic superman cup I got for free at the movie theatre.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I got a random waka on ebay recently (2lbs for the price of 1, that's why)...and it's incredibly smokey. It smells and tastes like it was smoked over a wood-smoke campfire. I don't really like the flavor, but the effects were great. ....I think I've seen a few people mention a smokey flavor before.

I also got a little bag of some 'fiji' kava from the local health food store, out of curiosity, and...it smelled strongly of hot cinnamon candy. I'd noticed this a bit with melo-melo before. This one brewed up the darkest brown kava i can remember ever having. Turned out to be fairly mild though.