What's new

Kava Tea- Am I Doing This Right?

StarDustin

Kava Curious
So I have been curious about Kava for quite some time and I went over to my local herb store and bought some ground kava. I didn't find the employee at the store very helpful at all. She gave me the powder and told me to mix it in hot water and that it would dissolve like instant coffee. I can assure you that the powder did not dissolve at all, the whole thing is rather soupy.

Is this an effective (or safe) way to make Kava? I am big coffee guy and extraction is the key to good coffee. I imagine it is the same way with Kava.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well allow me to be the first to
wellcome.jpg
you to the Kava lounge. Well if what you have is ground up root powder, then we usually do, strain it through something like a nylon stocking. But If it is instant, then I don't know, it should mix well. Its hard to tell not knowing the vender, and there product. Maybe some more info will help. Much love. Roaddog....

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
From most people's experience, including mine, local herb store kava is anywhere from 80-100% useless junk.
You can simply mix kava powder with water and drink, but you're actually supposed to squeeze and knead it into the water, with a strainer bag. Micronized kava powder can be consumed whole, without straining, but may not be easy on your stomach if you consume a lot. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava sells the only micronized kava that we can officially say is 100% gauranteed to be processed in a way that is meant for consuming without straining...because they separate out the harder parts of the root, and only micronize the softer parts. Easier on your stomach that way. Some people still strain it though.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Dustin, welcome. Extraction and good product is key. If what you have is powdered root like roaddog says, I would not drink it straight up. I would strongly recommend obtaining some powdered root from one of the many wonderful vendors active on this forum, as well as something to strain it with (many of them sell fijian style strainers which are my personal favorite, but you can also use a variety of household items like nylon stockings).

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Well allow me to be the first to View attachment 1434 you to the Kava lounge. Well if what you have is ground up root powder, then we usually do, strain it through something like a nylon stocking. But If it is instant, then I don't know, it should mix well. Its hard to tell not knowing the vender, and there product. Maybe some more info will help. Much love. Roaddog....
Welcome!!!
emoticon_full_band_hg_clr.gif

(Well gobbles, once again you beat me to the welcome wagon. ::shakefist2::)

StarDustin

Kava Curious
Hey thanks everyone for the fast and friendly responses!
I just watched this video on how to make Kava- Is this the correct way to do it?
I am going to go buy a strainer bag and see if that yields different results.
In the future I will avoid the herb stores per your advice.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Welcome Dustin! Looks like you've already got some mighty good replies here. Search around click the "New to kava?" tab at the top of the page, and you'll be set.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome Stardustin! I'm a big Java Guy too. French press, Burr Grinder and the whole ball of wax.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
She gave me the powder and told me to mix it in hot water and that it would dissolve like instant coffee. I can assure you that the powder did not dissolve at all, the whole thing is rather soupy.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, StarDustin. I can't stop laughing about that. You should have told her to give you a demonstration on how to drink that. I'm sure that would have been quite entertaining.:ROFLMAO:

I would recommend getting a fijian strainer from one of the recommended kava vendors around here. I got mine from BKH and it's lasted a long time. You can use a womans knee high stocking, it works well, but won't last long.

There are many methods for powder and I've tried most of them, but here's what I do:

Put about 8 oz of water in a bowl, big enough that you won't splash the water out of the bowl. Put some kava in the strainer, 2 tbsp is probably good if you are a new user, although some people use a lot more. Dip the bag into the water and swirl it around until it's wet and then start kneading the contents. You will see the cloudy liquid seeping through the strainer. Do that for about 5 minutes and then squeeze out the strainer. Pour your strained kava liquid into some type of cup and drink it quickly. You can probably get a good 2nd straining out of the same strainer of kava before disposing of the left over contents of the bag. Oh, and I would recommend a chaser, like ginger ale, most people do not find the taste pleasant to say that least.

Cheers!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Good deal. Hope you stick around and enjoy the forum, everyone here is very friendly and helpful. We are a little silly sometimes and joke around and laugh a lot, but it's all good.
I would like to add a little freakin goofy too. :)