What's new

Kavaclub: Working to Become Virginia's First Successful Kava Bar

KavaclubRVA

Hello,

My name is Bram. I make kava tea at Kavaclub in Richmond, VA. We've been working for over a year now to get our doors open and become Virginia's first successful kava bar. I've been reading this forum for a while and am so appreciative of all the shared knowledge and insights here.

For the past year we've been navigating the regulatory challenges that many other kava bars are currently facing. While I know each kava bar has their own unique hurdles to overcome; I've also learned there is a lot of common ground when it comes to what so many of us are dealing with in this space.

While we await our next hearing in May with Virginia's Dept. of Health, I'm connecting with as many kava farmers, kava bar owners, kava wholesalers, podcasters and thought leaders alike to learn as much as I can, while sharing stories about our journey, if ever helpful.

I've been impressed and inspired by the grass roots kava community that continues to buoy us when we struggle to see the light at the end of this tunnel. Thank You to all of you out there for helping to keep us positive and engaged.

Our founder and visionary Fred is a successful serial entrepreneur who believes in offering Virginians a safe space to consume traditionally prepared kava and he's got no plans on giving up the good fight anytime soon.

If anyone finds themselves traveling through Richmond, Virginia and would like to talk shop or check out the space, please shoot me an email at [email protected]

Peace and Shells!

Bram

www.kavaclub.com

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello,

My name is Bram. I make kava tea at Kavaclub in Richmond, VA. We've been working for over a year now to get our doors open and become Virginia's first successful kava bar. I've been reading this forum for a while and am so appreciative of all the shared knowledge and insights here.

For the past year we've been navigating the regulatory challenges that many other kava bars are currently facing. While I know each kava bar has their own unique hurdles to overcome; I've also learned there is a lot of common ground when it comes to what so many of us are dealing with in this space.

While we await our next hearing in May with Virginia's Dept. of Health, I'm connecting with as many kava farmers, kava bar owners, kava wholesalers, podcasters and thought leaders alike to learn as much as I can, while sharing stories about our journey, if ever helpful.

I've been impressed and inspired by the grass roots kava community that continues to buoy us when we struggle to see the light at the end of this tunnel. Thank You to all of you out there for helping to keep us positive and engaged.

Our founder and visionary Fred is a successful serial entrepreneur who believes in offering Virginians a safe space to consume traditionally prepared kava and he's got no plans on giving up the good fight anytime soon.

If anyone finds themselves traveling through Richmond, Virginia and would like to talk shop or check out the space, please shoot me an email at [email protected]

Peace and Shells!

Bram

www.kavaclub.com
Hi Bram, and welcome!

I do have a little good news which might become even more. Just a few days ago we received direct advice from the FDA (I know, a miracle in itself) that kava powder mixed with water and strained is indeed a food item, as per the Codex definition of kava. It has since been requested that the FDA provide official guidance by a number of PhDs and kava researchers.

This is a major step forward.

It still does NOT cover kava as dietary ingredient, so flavorings, and mixed drinks are still a few steps away in terms of Federal legality.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello,

Peace and Shells!

Bram

www.kavaclub.com
Your post and your explanation of your work is welcome news for Virginia and elsewhere.
As Mr. Kap'n mentioned the FDA latest statement regarding kava makes it clear that kava is food per the Codex alimentarius
(WHO and UN FAO) "safe food" guidelines. What, specifically are your "struggles" in opening your kava bar?
If you share any problems you may be having, we likely can offer more detailed advice.

KavaclubRVA

Hello Alia,

Thank you so much for the support. This is honestly the best news we've received in a long time. Hoping for the best, while still finding it hard to believe that this could be true and then eventually trickle down to our local health Depts.

As you know, trying to briefly summarize our struggles to open a kava bar for the past year can be complicated.

Would it be possible to set up a Zoom call sometime at your convenience?

We are getting this update to our legal team now and will hopefully have a response from them soon.

Cheers

Bram

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello Alia,

Thank you so much for the support. This is honestly the best news we've received in a long time. Hoping for the best, while still finding it hard to believe that this could be true and then eventually trickle down to our local health Depts.

As you know, trying to briefly summarize our struggles to open a kava bar for the past year can be complicated.

Would it be possible to set up a Zoom call sometime at your convenience?

We are getting this update to our legal team now and will hopefully have a response from them soon.

Cheers

Bram
I will private message you regarding this issue.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Kava can be mixed in water, then strained, and considered a food by this definition, but what about coconut water being used for brewing instead of water?

Does the law permit having separately made fresh squeezed juices, milks, coconut oils/sunflower letchins on the side that you can add to the kava yourself for a twist? I prefer the taste of kava by itself, yet I am attracted by coconut and milk and fruit because the nutrients are helpful at settling my stomach, especially fruit for the sugar. I love to drink the juices and milks more than eat or chew them. I'm happy to hear more kava nakamals are beginning! Looking forward to visiting one!

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Here is the document itself.
It is fun reading IMO.
You'll note, water is all that is allowed.
But your personal preference is your own.
I think for a commercial operation you might want to stick with water.
I agree, good reading. And according to section 7.3 we won't have to look at warning labels on our kava any longer. Just how to prepare and that we must use potable water.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Bula and welcome to KavaForums.

I checked out your website... looks great. Two minor corrections:

Our Kava, made from the pulverized root of the Kava Kava plant
The plant is called kava. Kava Kava shouldn't be used anywhere.

Certain strains of Kava, like Lawena, have been known to help with sleep.
The preferred word is cultivar. Using "cultivar" is a nod of acknowledgement to the Pacific Island farmers who developed the different varieties of kava over centuries of careful selection. "Strain" comes from cannabis land, where simply planting two plants side by side and letting them cross pollinate will result in as many new strains as there are seeds produced by the two plants.

Certain strains of Kava, like Lawena, have been known to help with sleep.
The word is Lewena. It isn't a cultivar. Lewena is simply the fijian name for the fleshy stump at the base of the plant from which lateral roots (waka) emanate. Lewena and waka are Fijian words.

It sounds like you're building a good thing, so good luck with KavaClub.

Also, please consider joining https://internationalkava.org/ if you haven't already. IKO is a team of good people (some of whom you have already met in this thread) fighting the same fight you are, on a national scale for now, and eventually anywhere kava drinking and trade is restricted.

Johnk13

That’s awesome Bram. I am in northern virginia, so a bit out of the way for me. But its great to see a kava bar opening nearby. Sorry to see you are having much trouble with the government. Would love to visit.

25Watts

As Mr. Kap'n mentioned the FDA latest statement regarding kava makes it clear that kava is food per the Codex alimentarius
(WHO and UN FAO) "safe food" guidelines.
Is this “FDA statement” available to read anywhere? Sounds like it’s not an official stance, but it may be useful to reference even in the unofficial “advice” form, for anyone building a case for any purpose.

I read the WHO document you shared and it’s fantastic. Having even an unofficial FDA endorsement of it may prove useful.

This is exciting news indeed!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Is this “FDA statement” available to read anywhere? Sounds like it’s not an official stance, but it may be useful to reference even in the unofficial “advice” form, for anyone building a case for any purpose.

I read the WHO document you shared and it’s fantastic. Having even an unofficial FDA endorsement of it may prove useful.

This is exciting news indeed!
I shared some information to you in a private message.

Sun36

Hello,

Peace and Shells!

Bram

www.kavaclub.com
I’m kind of local so this is exciting news! I’m rootin’ for ya’!

KavaclubRVA

Hey, thanks so much for the support. If you're up for sharing, we always like to hear about how Virginians are getting into kava.

Happy New Year

Bram

Sun36

Hey, thanks so much for the support. If you're up for sharing, we always like to hear about how Virginians are getting into kava.

Happy New Year

Bram
How I got into kava ..? I searched for something that would relax me and provide a nice euphoric mood without it being from big pharma (more natural). Read about K@ but didn’t like that it’s addictive and Reddit was kind enough to share Kava. And tada! Here I am for the kava ride and I’m loving it!

KavaclubRVA

Bula and welcome to KavaForums.

I checked out your website... looks great. Two minor corrections:

The plant is called kava. Kava Kava shouldn't be used anywhere.

The preferred word is cultivar. Using "cultivar" is a nod of acknowledgement to the Pacific Island farmers who developed the different varieties of kava over centuries of careful selection. "Strain" comes from cannabis land, where simply planting two plants side by side and letting them cross pollinate will result in as many new strains as there are seeds produced by the two plants.

The word is Lewena. It isn't a cultivar. Lewena is simply the Fijian name for the fleshy stump at the base of the plant from which lateral roots (waka) emanate. Lewena and waka are Fijian words.

It sounds like you're building a good thing, so good luck with KavaClub.

Also, please consider joining https://internationalkava.org/ if you haven't already. IKO is a team of good people (some of whom you have already met in this thread) fighting the same fight you are, on a national scale for now, and eventually anywhere kava drinking and trade is restricted.
Hello,
I apologize for the holiday delay. We've been busy working with our team to try and capitalize on this momentum behind recent FDA kava definition developments. I appreciate your interest and feedback. We are always open to learn more about how to correctly present and characterize kava in the West.

Despite speaking with experts and months of research, I still have a lot to learn about this magical plant and the history and culture that made it possible to serve in America.

Our website has been outdated for a while now since our delayed opening and your corrections are a good reminder to prioritize giving it a makeover.

While we would like to join the IKO someday and I religiously listen to their podcast, the fees are beyond our scope before we start selling drinks.

Look forward to learning more from the community soon!

Peace,

Bram

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@KavaclubRVA You absolutely may join our organization without paying to get in. We are on a voluntary donation basis with our supporters. We need their solidarity more than money, but money may be requested, but as always donations are voluntary.

KavaclubRVA

@KavaclubRVA You absolutely may join our organization without paying to get in. We are on a voluntary donation basis with our supporters. We need their solidarity more than money, but money may be requested, but as always donations are voluntary.
Sorry for the delay. Thank you for the opportunity. Been a busy week for us in Va and will circle back soon!