What's new

Kavalactones Extraction

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you want to warm up the alcohol extract to make it evaporate faster, place the jar in a hot water bath. Not boiling water, just like hot tap water.

Bwiggy

I like plants
I'm alive and well!!
Never again with the alcohol extraction though.

Here's what I actually did.
I put the alcohol extraction in a fancy food dehydrator, used to dry food but not cook it, to maintain "raw" standard. It's super low heat, with an adjustable heat control.
Everything dehydrated successfully.
it was a very small amount.

With the huge maka pudding remains, I added coconut milk, blended for 3 minutes and filtered. I put the liquid in my dehydrator on low heat and dehydrated.
I am thinking consuming that is okay.

Okay?

The dehydrated alcohol extraction is pure dry stickiness. It's not oil. It's the as if the underside of a piece of tape were dry. I can't get it off the teflon.

P.S. the little chips in there are some left over pieces of lemongrass I recently dried.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Aloha! I made java (kava?)extract from fresh Hawaiian root using ever clear. Would you know the best ratio for adding vegetable glycerin to kava everclear?
"Everclear" is an alcohol product? So you soaked fresh 'awa root in alcohol?
I found on-line that Everclear is ..."bottled at 120, 151 and 190 U.S. proof.
Due to its market prevalence and high alcohol content, the product has become
iconic, with a 'notorious reputation' in popular culture".
If you have fresh 'awa root why not drink fresh 'awa beverage?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Aloha! I made java extract from fresh Hawaiian root using ever clear. Would you know the best ratio for adding vegetable glycerin to kava everclear?
I'd recommend allowing the alcohol to evaporate off as completely as possible. Then dissolve the remaining kavalactone resin in the minimum amount of veg glycerin that it can dissolve in.. Obviously use food grade glycerin.

Edit: Vegetable glycerin is a sugar alcohol, so can have side effects in large quantities (laxative effect). So using the minimum possible amount would be important. Alternately you could use oil such as coconut oil, which would not have any side effects..
https://www.livestrong.com/article/519369-side-effects-of-vegetable-glycerin/

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
"Everclear" is an alcohol product? So you soaked fresh 'awa root in alcohol?
I found on-line that Everclear is ..."bottled at 120, 151 and 190 U.S. proof.
Due to its market prevalence and high alcohol content, the product has become
iconic, with a 'notorious reputation' in popular culture".
If you have fresh 'awa root why not drink fresh 'awa beverage?
Yes it a grain alcohol. The 190 proof version is about as close as you are going to conveniently get of pure ethanol. Many people use it to for herbal extractions. Anybody dumb enough to drink it straight deserves a Darwin award. Around x-mas time I like to use it to make homemade kahlua or amaretto.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Aloha! I made java extract from fresh Hawaiian root using ever clear. Would you know the best ratio for adding vegetable glycerin to kava everclear?
Somewhere I have a thread about doing this but instead of vegetable glycerin I used coconut oil (may have been a suggestion of @verticity ). I then boiled off all the alcohol (took along time). In the end it was not worth the effort, but it was fun to play around.

TheBastian

Kava Curious
Hello folks,

I am a desperate kava lover from Germany with a medical problem. Seems that I am suffering from a mast cell disease (may be mastcell activation syndrom, it is not clear)

Unfortunately water based kava drink does stimulate the mast cells. In my case despite urtikaria (after month without kava) I suffer from acute hairloss one or two days after a kava session.

But I found a study that says, that the kava lactones themselves are not mast cell stimulators, while other substances causing the problems:

As it is very very hard to get kava extracts in Europe, I think I have to extract the kava lactones on my own. My root powder is of a good, and as far I can see via uv-light microscope, mold and aflatoxine free quality, which is very important for me.

(I am not a professional, but as far as I know uv-light can detect aflatoxine poluted hypha, which are shining in blue color with uv-light), Important some batches from ebay are not clean!!)

Well, what do you think about an easy cold extraction based on ethanol? How strong should be the ethanol? 20%? 70%?
And the most important question: do you think it might be so easy to separate the mastcell stimulating chemicals from the lactones?
How can I make sure, that those unwanted substances are not extracted, too? Does it depend on temperature, time or just the alcohol volume?

BTW: I just think about it, because I am so desperate that I might never ever in my life consume kava. Normally I never ever would prefer an extraction.
If anyone knows another way how to calm the mastcells while drinking kava the tradional way, I'll be very very glad.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hello folks,

I am a desperate kava lover from Germany with a medical problem. Seems that I am suffering from a mast cell disease (may be mastcell activation syndrom, it is not clear)

Unfortunately water based kava drink does stimulate the mast cells. In my case despite urtikaria (after month without kava) I suffer from acute hairloss one or two days after a kava session.

But I found a study that says, that the kava lactones themselves are not mast cell stimulators, while other substances causing the problems:

As it is very very hard to get kava extracts in Europe, I think I have to extract the kava lactones on my own. My root powder is of a good, and as far I can see via uv-light microscope, mold and aflatoxine free quality, which is very important for me.

(I am not a professional, but as far as I know uv-light can detect aflatoxine poluted hypha, which are shining in blue color with uv-light), Important some batches from ebay are not clean!!)

Well, what do you think about an easy cold extraction based on ethanol? How strong should be the ethanol? 20%? 70%?
And the most important question: do you think it might be so easy to separate the mastcell stimulating chemicals from the lactones?
How can I make sure, that those unwanted substances are not extracted, too? Does it depend on temperature, time or just the alcohol volume?

BTW: I just think about it, because I am so desperate that I might never ever in my life consume kava. Normally I never ever would prefer an extraction.
If anyone knows another way how to calm the mastcells while drinking kava the tradional way, I'll be very very glad.
@The Kap'n might be the right person to point you in the right direction, he has done the most research over the last two years.