What's new

Kava Side Effects Kava's effect on environmental allergies

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
So awhile back I posted a thread about how I had been having allergic-type reactions after kava sessions that got bad enough that I took a break for several weeks. At first I was thinking I was developing an allergy to kava itself but then I noticed that the reaction was worse when my baseline regular seasonal allergies were worse. Anecdotally I'm now pretty convinced that kava can exacerbate seasonal allergies, at least for me, but I am not allergic to kava. I recently moved and my new place has much less dust and better air quality (for now) and I had the first totally side-effect free kava session in awhile yesterday evening! No itchy eyes or increased nasal congestion, no next-day increase in stuffiness and allergic head-fog. I guess this is the motivation I need to keep the new place dusted and clean!

I found this study which could point to a mechanism: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3773481/ Apparently kava in vitro can stimulate mast cells (the cells that release histamine and other cytokines in response to allergens) to degranulate more readily.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So awhile back I posted a thread about how I had been having allergic-type reactions after kava sessions that got bad enough that I took a break for several weeks. At first I was thinking I was developing an allergy to kava itself but then I noticed that the reaction was worse when my baseline regular seasonal allergies were worse. Anecdotally I'm now pretty convinced that kava can exacerbate seasonal allergies, at least for me, but I am not allergic to kava. I recently moved and my new place has much less dust and better air quality (for now) and I had the first totally side-effect free kava session in awhile yesterday evening! No itchy eyes or increased nasal congestion, no next-day increase in stuffiness and allergic head-fog. I guess this is the motivation I need to keep the new place dusted and clean!

I found this study which could point to a mechanism: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3773481/ Apparently kava in vitro can stimulate mast cells (the cells that release histamine and other cytokines in response to allergens) to degranulate more readily.
I have felt the same thing...I am really only sensitive to grass pollen and doubly so when the grass is dry in mid-july/august. When that kicks up - I agree kava can sometimes make my eyes and nose feel worse and more congested. I figured it was just an additive effect due to kava's ability to dry out my eyes (as part of my near constant low level dermo), but this would offer an alternative explanation. Cool find!

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I have felt the same thing...I am really only sensitive to grass pollen and doubly so when the grass is dry in mid-july/august. When that kicks up - I agree kava can sometimes make my eyes and nose feel worse and more congested. I figured it was just an additive effect due to kava's ability to dry out my eyes (as part of my near constant low level dermo), but this would offer an alternative explanation. Cool find!
Aside from that study, a theory I have might be because kava dries you out, the lack of normal amounts of fluid that protects your eyes as well as the lack normal amounts of mucous in your nostrils may make it easier for allergens to do what they do best

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Great find! I have thought this for awhile, but also thought my seasonal allergies may just be worse this year. BTW if anyone gets really dry skin around their eyes that is very irritating, a nice scrub with baby shampoo works wonders.

maelstrom

Kava Curious
I had an MRI of my head done recently; an incidental finding was chronic ethmoid sinusitis. I have no doubt that it's from my constant consumption of kava.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
I had an MRI of my head done recently; an incidental finding was chronic ethmoid sinusitis. I have no doubt that it's from my constant consumption of kava.
Interesting sometimes I breathe better after a kava session. Although last summer when i was drinking some low quality root i had some sinus and ear problems. Could this have more to do with poor washing/drying of the kava or mold. The dry skin and other side effects keep us humble i suppose. If it werent for these id quit drinking water and only sip kava lol