What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Kava's Nutritional Content

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So we know that kavalactones as well as other phytochemicals are found in kava, but what is the traditional nutritional content of kava?

"Dry kava is rich in starch (approx. 50% dry matter) and fiber (20%) with low minerals (3%), proteins (3%), sugars (3%) and a moisture content of around 11%"

Lebot, Vincent & Kaoh, Juliane & Legendre, Laurent. (2020). High-Throughput Analysis of Flavokawains in Kava (Piper methysticum Forst. f.) Roots, Chips and Powders and Correlations with Their Acetonic Extracts Absorbance. Food Analytical Methods. 13. 10.1007/s12161-020-01781-9.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
There is a need for more nutritional analysis of aqueous kava beverage.
The Lebot/Caballion 1986 did show 15 amino acids, small amounts of 7 minerals with potassium being 2.237 %
Here is one of fresh Vanuatu beverage (a couple years ago). It only tested for what is listed. 250 ml.

Attachments

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
There is a need for more nutritional analysis of aqueous kava beverage.
The Lebot/Caballion 1986 did show 15 amino acids, small amounts of 7 minerals with potassium being 2.237 %
Here is one of fresh Vanuatu beverage (a couple years ago). It only tested for what is listed. 250 ml.
NICE! Thank you!!! I was looking for something like that.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
This is probably already part of your collective knowledge set but Chris has pointed out this great documentation on this on his site to me some time ago, chapter 7 of the second (bottom) PDF. :)

The PDF accounts for dry-weight nutritional value, and from it we can definitely see how much soil/growing conditions/variety plays a role in altering its micro-nutrient values. I would think that adding in the additional variables presented in the chosen prep method would greatly vary the nutritional value of any aqueous preparation of kava as well (also accounting for those other variables previously mentioned).