What's new

Lab procedures for acetone test?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Can anyone shed some light on the "standard" method for doing an acetone test? Do you normalize the kava grind to a particular mesh first? How much acetone to how much kava? Acceptable temperature range? Water content? Should I just let it soak, or agitate it for a while?

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Deleted User's proposed standard (attached) calls for:
- 1 gram of kava per 3 milliters of acetone
- Agitation: Sonicate for 15 minutes. (If you don't have a sonicator, shake for a few minutes)
- Centrifuge or allow to settle for 24 hours and decant

Particle size and temperature are not specified. Room temperature is appropriate.

Attachments

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh, I'm not sure how water content effects the results. The method is for dried medium grind root, the moisture from fresh root might throw the results off.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Oh, I'm not sure how water content effects the results. The method is for dried medium grind root, the moisture from fresh root might throw the results off.
Could always dehydrate the root first for consisfency. I like the idea of sonicating the mixture, too.

I'm certainly not set up for quantitative chromatography at home, but it's good to know how to prepare consistent samples for analysis with a mark 1 eyeball.

Has anyone tried simple thin layer test on blotter paper? Might be interesting to see what happens.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Could always dehydrate the root first for consisfency. I like the idea of sonicating the mixture, too.

I'm certainly not set up for quantitative chromatography at home, but it's good to know how to prepare consistent samples for analysis with a mark 1 eyeball.

Has anyone tried simple thin layer test on blotter paper? Might be interesting to see what happens.
For the acetone test you don't need to do chromatography, you just need to measure the color of the sample. You can do that with a spectrophotometer, which is a considerably less expensive piece of equipment than an HPLC. You can also do it by eye if you have samples of known noble and tudei to compare to.

Simple TLC/paper chromatography would be an in interesting experiment to try. You would need a UV flashlight to visualize the spots.