What's new

Leave the Aluball in the grog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaySailor

Kava Curious
Hi All-new kava user, even newer Aluball/bottle user.
Just got an Alubottle because my arthritis does NOT like kneading. I made an Alubottle yesterday with warm water, shook it for a good amount of time, and ended up with a nice looking grog. I stuck the whole thing in the fridge so I could drink it last night. Is there any issue with leaving the Aluball in the mixture while it's cooling? As a coffee person, I know that over extracting can lead to off-tastes in coffee, but wondering if there are any ill (or positive!) effects of leaving the ball in. Thanks! JD

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi All-new kava user, even newer Aluball/bottle user.
Just got an Alubottle because my arthritis does NOT like kneading. I made an Alubottle yesterday with warm water, shook it for a good amount of time, and ended up with a nice looking grog. I stuck the whole thing in the fridge so I could drink it last night. Is there any issue with leaving the Aluball in the mixture while it's cooling? As a coffee person, I know that over extracting can lead to off-tastes in coffee, but wondering if there are any ill (or positive!) effects of leaving the ball in. Thanks! JD
Welcome to kf. It's perfectly fine to leave the Alubottle in the fridge if you are consuming it later, be sure to give it a final shake, prior to drinking it. You can often get more then one wash from kava roots so don't forget to fill it up with a little less water on that second (possibly third wash).

BaySailor

Kava Curious
Awesome. Think I have a plan, here. So I took the ball from last night and did a second wash with 200ml of water. Dumped that in a jar, then did a new 2-tbsp ball with 300ml. After shaking, I added the other 200ml back in and added ice to cool. Shook it like a martini, poured, and enjoyed. Dumped the ice, added 200ml of warm water, and did the second wash of the 'new' ball and returned to the fridge. When I'm ready for another go, just repeat. Seem reasonable?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Awesome. Think I have a plan, here. So I took the ball from last night and did a second wash with 200ml of water. Dumped that in a jar, then did a new 2-tbsp ball with 300ml. After shaking, I added the other 200ml back in and added ice to cool. Shook it like a martini, poured, and enjoyed. Dumped the ice, added 200ml of warm water, and did the second wash of the 'new' ball and returned to the fridge. When I'm ready for another go, just repeat. Seem reasonable?
Yeah that seems like a good plan.

wayne.suslansky

Kava Curious
Let me see if i got this straight, your mixing the first wash with the second?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I routinely pick up my aluball that has been left out over night (not even in the fridge) throw some water in shake for a second wash, then empty the ball and fill it back up for my 1st wash on a newly filled ball with no issues. In fact I think having some KLs in your water (i.e. the second wash) enhances the extraction of the first wash.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I routinely pick up my aluball that has been left out over night (not even in the fridge) throw some water in shake for a second wash, then empty the ball and fill it back up for my 1st wash on a newly filled ball with no issues. In fact I think having some KLs in your water (i.e. the second wash) enhances the extraction of the first wash.
it certainly doesn't hurt although I think overnight on the counter is about the extent to which we can safely push that time window of safety, and not even that if we live in Alabama.

BaySailor

Kava Curious
I've added my second Aluball to the bottle, and I feel like I'm getting more concentrated grogs from each fill (obviously, with twice the product), but I also feel like my second and third washes are considerably more potent than before, even with more water. In terms of eyeballing, how much does the color/opacity of the grog translate to potency in later washes?

Status
Not open for further replies.