What's new

Loa Lawena - quick "review"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Tried a few shells of Cactus Kava's Loa Lawena this weekend. Will do a real review after I've given it another go. Interesting varietal. For me not peppery but more a smoky feel similar to smoked fish. Sounds disgusting but once I chugged the whole shell it wasn't so pronounced. Strange thing - no numbness at all. And did seem to work well for anxiety to a degree. I'm almost done with my Valium taper (none taken yesterday) and had a stressful weekend family wise. I expected to be a blithering Idiot by the end of the weekend but I surprised myself and stayed relatively intact! Thank you kava!

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Just as an FYI, lawena isn't a varietal, but a part of the plant.
In Vanuatu they divide/choose/sell their kava by varietal, but in Fiji, it's done by the part of the plant. Waka are the roots, and lawena is the fleshy base of the stem (sometimes incorrectly called a rhizome).

Waka is more potent, while lawena is easier on the palate. Waka generally costs more. Most kava sold and consumed in Fiji is a blend of the two.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Just as an FYI, lawena isn't a varietal, but a part of the plant.
In Vanuatu they divide/choose/sell their kava by varietal, but in Fiji, it's done by the part of the plant. Waka are the roots, and lawena is the fleshy base of the stem (sometimes incorrectly called a rhizome).

Waka is more potent, while lawena is easier on the palate. Waka generally costs more. Most kava sold and consumed in Fiji is a blend of the two.
Thanks! Got it re lawena not being a varietal. I just actually finished reading some history is of kava so I should have known! I really meant the particular kava offered by Cactus Kava and varietal wasn't the correct word!! Lawena definitely a new taste for me! Not peppery. Definitely smokey fish!!

blindy107

Kava Lover
I find lawena less palatable typically. There is something about the taste that turns me away. It could just be the plant it comes from but I haven't any Waka aversion that I can recall. I tried the CK lawena last night as well. Seems to have pretty good effects. I need to have a few more nights with it before being certain.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Tried a few shells of Cactus Kava's Loa Lawena this weekend. Will do a real review after I've given it another go. Interesting varietal. For me not peppery but more a smoky feel similar to smoked fish. Sounds disgusting but once I chugged the whole shell it wasn't so pronounced. Strange thing - no numbness at all. And did seem to work well for anxiety to a degree. I'm almost done with my Valium taper (none taken yesterday) and had a stressful weekend family wise. I expected to be a blithering Idiot by the end of the weekend but I surprised myself and stayed relatively intact! Thank you kava!
Thanks for the review! My lawena has been my go to these days. Easy to drink, and not particularly sedating, so you can carry on with whatever tasks are at hand.

Also, congratulations on almost getting off of Valium!

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor

You're definitely right, and this particular variety is from Fiji. With your past experience in the industry, I would be curious as to how you would like this product. If all goes well, it'll be live on my site sometime early next week.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Sorry about the confusion. Yes, "stump" describes it better than "base of the stem". Lawena is the thick fleshy stump out of which the roots grow downwards, and the stems grow upwards.
Most kava, unless explicitly labelled as being solely made from lateral roots, is a blend of waka (roots) and lawena (stump).
It's great to see Cactus Kava bringing some fine Lawena to market. Taste-wise, I'd pick lawena over waka any day.

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Found mine today, waiting for me when I got home. Nice packaging. Complimentary little nut bag was a nice surprise. Yet to crack seal.. Will put on a pedestal for a day and ooh and ahh at it before making it my Friday night, end of week treat. Many moons ago, studied Anthropology in Tucson; am a sucker for anything with AZ on it. Depending on how it goes.. will review.

kavaloveraz

Kava Curious
Found mine today, waiting for me when I got home. Nice packaging. Complimentary little nut bag was a nice surprise. Yet to crack seal.. Will put on a pedestal for a day and ooh and ahh at it before making it my Friday night, end of week treat. Many moons ago, studied Anthropology in Tucson; am a sucker for anything with AZ on it. Depending on how it goes.. will review.
I am looking forward to your review of it Doobie Doo. :)

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
@kavaloveraz... First couple of shells tonight. Still processing but in a few thoughts so far: heady / euphoric / fast acting / less physical. Taste wise it's less bittery sharp and more I can't quite put my words on it kind of a taste , but not undrinkable by any means. Feels like this would be a day time Kava, (mental over physical and all that?). Definitely good stuff, but found myself with an almost immediate head pressure that is only now starting to fade. Anti-anxiety and body warming certainly coming on more slowly than that immediate rush.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I'm going to try it out in the next couple nights. Just had some of the 'Ono from Cactus tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.