What's new

Long-term MGD/Dry eye from Kava…….but how?

K

Klint

Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate any advise/feedback on the following issue.

I have been using kava on and off for well over two decades. I had only been using noble varieties as an effective antispasmodic when I experienced the issue I am about to describe.

Almost one year ago I took too much kava in one day as I was experiencing particularly painful and uncomfortable IBS symptoms and was desperate for relief. I have since experienced quite severe dry eye symptoms daily as if I had taken a strong dose of kava the previous day, despite not having used kava since. I honestly thought I would recover and have never heard of kava causing long-term dry eye. I have been diagnosed with MGD and the composition of the meibum has altered to the consistency of toothpaste.

Kidney and Liver function tests have shown up no abnormalities, despite this I have performed kidney flushes
and liver detoxes. I have tried many supplements and remedies and none have improved the condition, yet the symptoms can easily be made worse by various foods, medicines and supplements.

I am desperate to find out exactly how kava has triggered this problem so I can find a way to reverse it. I’m currently of the belief that it is an issue related to the endocrine system. Studies have shown that the composition of meibum can be drastically altered through changes in hormone levels. I’m wondering whether certain hormone receptors have been damaged or downgraded. Has anyone else experienced this issue and can anyone provide a lead to help?

I would be very grateful for any constructive advice or feedback. The MGD has had a very negative impact on daily living. Not only have I had to discontinue kava use for IBS, but other medicines and supplements I was previously using. Some overnight change has taken place in the body that I am still trying to understand.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate any advise/feedback on the following issue.

I have been using kava on and off for well over two decades. I had only been using noble varieties as an effective antispasmodic when I experienced the issue I am about to describe.

Almost one year ago I took too much kava in one day as I was experiencing particularly painful and uncomfortable IBS symptoms and was desperate for relief. I have since experienced quite severe dry eye symptoms daily as if I had taken a strong dose of kava the previous day, despite not having used kava since. I honestly thought I would recover and have never heard of kava causing long-term dry eye. I have been diagnosed with MGD and the composition of the meibum has altered to the consistency of toothpaste.

Kidney and Liver function tests have shown up no abnormalities, despite this I have performed kidney flushes
and liver detoxes. I have tried many supplements and remedies and none have improved the condition, yet the symptoms can easily be made worse by various foods, medicines and supplements.

I am desperate to find out exactly how kava has triggered this problem so I can find a way to reverse it. I’m currently of the belief that it is an issue related to the endocrine system. Studies have shown that the composition of meibum can be drastically altered through changes in hormone levels. I’m wondering whether certain hormone receptors have been damaged or downgraded. Has anyone else experienced this issue and can anyone provide a lead to help?

I would be very grateful for any constructive advice or feedback. The MGD has had a very negative impact on daily living. Not only have I had to discontinue kava use for IBS, but other medicines and supplements I was previously using. Some overnight change has taken place in the body that I am still trying to understand.
(Not a doctor)

While it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of your dry eye symptoms, it's possible that your excessive kava use may have contributed to or triggered the condition that day. It's also worth considering other factors that might have played a much larger role, such as genetics, age, environmental factors, and other health issues.

Some suggestions that you might consider discussing with your doctor include:
  1. Hormone testing: Since you suspect that your endocrine system might be involved, it could be helpful to have your hormone levels checked. This could give you a better idea of whether or not hormonal imbalances are contributing to your symptoms.
  2. Dietary changes: In some cases, dietary changes can help alleviate dry eye symptoms. For example, increasing your intake of omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish, flaxseeds, and walnuts, may help improve tear production and reduce inflammation.
  3. Environmental factors: Consider evaluating your environment for potential irritants that could be contributing to your dry eye symptoms. This might include allergens, pollution, or dry air.
  4. Stress reduction: Stress can exacerbate dry eye symptoms in some individuals.
  5. Hydration: Ensure that you stay properly hydrated, as dehydration can contribute to dry eye symptoms.
  6. Over-the-counter treatments: Artificial tears, lubricating eye drops, or gels can provide temporary relief for dry eye symptoms. However, it's essential to consult with your healthcare provider before using these products.
Personally it sounds like to me that MGD was present, just latent, and that day of overconsuming kava might have allowed it to finally come to some sort of clinical significance. Of course we're only random people on the internet, so the continued discussion with a healthcare professional is highly suggested

Chhadva, Priyanka, Raquel Goldhardt, and Anat Galor. 2017. “Meibomian Gland Disease: The Role of Gland Dysfunction in Dry Eye Disease.” Ophthalmology 124 (11S): S20–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2017.05.031.