What's new

Looking for tips with nausea

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i tried kava for the first time the other day, but i kinda screwed it up. All i felt was sick and a little tired. I almost threw up on the way to the bathroom, but managed to hold it in, and when i got there, i couldnt even throw up anymore even if i tried, and felt better after 30 minutes or so.

I took ginger as soon as the nausea hit so that may have helped but im not sure. I think my problem was taking kava on an empty stomach, and also the fact that i bought some 70% kavalactone extract instead of plain root. I had taken K@ a couple hours earlier so that may have made me more nauseous as well, but im not sure there because K@ never makes me sick. Obviously next time ill try without the K@.

Anyways im looking for some tips on avoiding/dealing with the nausea, I dont want to give up on this extract just yet, but i probably will get root in the future if it doesnt work out for me. Im assuming plain root is a good idea right?

I already know about ginger and benadryl. Ill probably give benadryl a try next time, taking it 30 minutes before the kava.
When would be the best time to take the ginger though? 30 minutes before? same time?

Would an empty stomach be best or not? if not, what would a good type of food to eat? For example, something fatty or rather something like fruits and veggies? Would lots of water help or not?

I've also read that some people like to spread out their kava dose over a period of time to lessen the nasuea so I'll probably give this a shot sometime as well, but if im gonna feel sick either way i dont really want to make the nausea last even longer, it might be better just to get through it quicker.

Tips? Thanks

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
A few things to consider.

1st, extracts and pastes are typically complete trash and likely made with varieties and parts of the kava plant not meant for safe consumption. There's been several negative, nauseated reports over the years about them as well.

2nd, having Kr@tom with it probably doesn't help and would likely increase the nausea. If not by the plant material itself, then by it's interaction with the kavalactones or the Kr@tom's own inherent nausea.
I had couple of the deepest, grinding nauseating experiences of my life due to Kr@tom and never returned.

Also, some kava varieties are naturally more nauseating than others, and some people simply tend to be more sensitive to the nausea than others. When you get around to making traditionally prepared root, a finer strainer will decrease likelihood of nausea but also decrease overall potency of the drink. Some people find micronized kava to be more upsetting to the stomach, because micro doesn't get strained and puts more particles in your guts...but they are also stronger per tablespoon, which can lead to accidentally overdoing it.

Generally, it's a learning process you'll have to go through. Get some quality noble kava root, try a few kinds, get a good strainer, experiment with finding your ideal dose, space out chugging your shells every 20-30 minutes so you can gauge how you feel along the way. I often add ginger powder to my mix...or sipping some carminative tea could help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.