What's new

Love the Kava

Grogorio

Kava Curious
Hello all. I've been drinking Kava for about a year and a half and reading this forum along the way but finally decided to join the conversation. I have to say that Kava has truly changed my life. As an extremely introverted person, my whole life I have suffered some form of social anxiety. I have dealt with this problem since I was 15 with alcohol. It worked for a bit but obviously became a problem. I had a love/hate relationship with it. It helped me feel "normal”around other people, but I hated how it made me feel the next day. And, as I became more tolerant of alcohol, I needed more to feel calm. Kava has been the best thing in the world for me. It helps me with my social anxiety, but the best part is it's non-adictive and the reverse tolerance means, unlike alcohol, I don't have to keep taking more and more to get the calming effects.

The second thing I used to use alcohol for was for my overly active mind. I just can't shut it off sometimes and get some real rest. Kava has saved my life in this regard, again. But, without the negative side effects of alcohol. When drinking alcohol, I found it quieted my mind for a bit, and then I would "sleep". But really, I wasn't getting rest at all. Didn't know that alcohol actually jacks your sleep even more. And again, I needed to drink more and more to get the mind quieting effects I needed at times. Not good.

After more than 20 years of this vicous life sucking cycle, I did some research and stumbled upon Kava. I don't know but it just seems like it is just too good to be true. I love Kava because it quiets my mind without making me lose my judgement or thinking ability. In fact, I love that while calming my mind, it actually helps me to focus too. For example, I love to read and study after drinking Kava. And the best part is, when I'm done reading, I can close my eyes and sleep and my mind doesn't keep me awake all night. I'm supprised this isn't a more mainstream product. I am concerned with the controversy over it's liver toxicity, but upon reading more, it seems that those claims weren't very legit. Also, the dermo doesn't ssem healthy either. I just hope that science continues to validate that Kava is good for us and not toxic. I really don't want to keep drinking something that is polluting my body. That's why I've quit drinking. On the otherhand, I feel I medically need someting to quiet my mind and help me with my social anxiety. For those reasons, Kava has been a wonderful gift. Lately, I've been learning more of the different nuances of Kava and each ones different chemotype. What an amazing plant. There reallly is a different Kava for each occassion, and that is what I'm finding out know. Until now, I've only enjoyed the heavy micronized kavas. But recently, I've been preparing it the traditional way with medium grind and I love it. I found some heady kavas perfect for socializing. Next I'll be trying some balanced kavas.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hello all. I've been drinking Kava for about a year and a half and reading this forum along the way but finally decided to join the conversation. I have to say that Kava has truly changed my life. As an extremely introverted person, my whole life I have suffered some form of social anxiety. I have dealt with this problem since I was 15 with alcohol. It worked for a bit but obviously became a problem. I had a love/hate relationship with it. It helped me feel "normal”around other people, but I hated how it made me feel the next day. And, as I became more tolerant of alcohol, I needed more to feel calm. Kava has been the best thing in the world for me. It helps me with my social anxiety, but the best part is it's non-adictive and the reverse tolerance means, unlike alcohol, I don't have to keep taking more and more to get the calming effects.

The second thing I used to use alcohol for was for my overly active mind. I just can't shut it off sometimes and get some real rest. Kava has saved my life in this regard, again. But, without the negative side effects of alcohol. When drinking alcohol, I found it quieted my mind for a bit, and then I would "sleep". But really, I wasn't getting rest at all. Didn't know that alcohol actually jacks your sleep even more. And again, I needed to drink more and more to get the mind quieting effects I needed at times. Not good.

After more than 20 years of this vicous life sucking cycle, I did some research and stumbled upon Kava. I don't know but it just seems like it is just too good to be true. I love Kava because it quiets my mind without making me lose my judgement or thinking ability. In fact, I love that while calming my mind, it actually helps me to focus too. For example, I love to read and study after drinking Kava. And the best part is, when I'm done reading, I can close my eyes and sleep and my mind doesn't keep me awake all night. I'm supprised this isn't a more mainstream product. I am concerned with the controversy over it's liver toxicity, but upon reading more, it seems that those claims weren't very legit. Also, the dermo doesn't ssem healthy either. I just hope that science continues to validate that Kava is good for us and not toxic. I really don't want to keep drinking something that is polluting my body. That's why I've quit drinking. On the otherhand, I feel I medically need someting to quiet my mind and help me with my social anxiety. For those reasons, Kava has been a wonderful gift. Lately, I've been learning more of the different nuances of Kava and each ones different chemotype. What an amazing plant. There reallly is a different Kava for each occassion, and that is what I'm finding out know. Until now, I've only enjoyed the heavy micronized kavas. But recently, I've been preparing it the traditional way with medium grind and I love it. I found some heady kavas perfect for socializing. Next I'll be trying some balanced kavas.
Yup, calm, more focused, good sleep..... I find it makes me more productive at home and at work, I don't get so easily sidetracked, and I get stuff done sooner rather than later. I procrastinate less, so I can get whatever it is over with and then fully enjoy the kava. Your story is pretty much the same as my son's. I'm glad he found kava at the age of 22 and has taken to it like a duck to water.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.

Awesome story, some of it sounds familiar, you made the wisest choice. My liver function actually got better after switching to kava from lots of alcohol on a daily out-of-control basis, transaminases and bilirubin both came down. I agree with you though, more research would be excellent, even to understand some things that we know happens in some people, like dermo and raised LDL cholesterol. It sure would be nice to know what is causing that and maybe ways to prevent it, even if its necessary at this point with all the variable clinical data around LDL.
I've been getting back into the trad prep too, its actually quite relaxing sitting there with nothing to do but knead a squishy bag of oily kava for 10 minutes, sloshing it around in water. Do you have an AluBall? This helps a lot for making it so easy to quickly whoop up some kava, at any given moment, under any given circumstance, including unexpected in laws. @Squanch72
Welcome to the Forums! I can't believe you waited this long to chime in ! Bula!

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
Social and general anxiety lead me to Kava too. The deep sleep, plant teacher dreams, and the kruzz are all nice extras. I think my father-in-law is realizing that when he makes a surprise visit the first thing I do is load up the alluballs and start downing shells right after I say hello.
It sounds like they really do bring out the best in you.

Grogorio

Kava Curious
Awesome story, some of it sounds familiar, you made the wisest choice. My liver function actually got better after switching to kava from lots of alcohol on a daily out-of-control basis, transaminases and bilirubin both came down. I agree with you though, more research would be excellent, even to understand some things that we know happens in some people, like dermo and raised LDL cholesterol. It sure would be nice to know what is causing that and maybe ways to prevent it, even if its necessary at this point with all the variable clinical data around LDL.
I've been getting back into the trad prep too, its actually quite relaxing sitting there with nothing to do but knead a squishy bag of oily kava for 10 minutes, sloshing it around in water. Do you have an AluBall? This helps a lot for making it so easy to quickly whoop up some kava, at any given moment, under any given circumstance, including unexpected in laws. @Squanch72
Welcome to the Forums! I can't believe you waited this long to chime in ! Bula!
Thank you! I know, I can be strange. It's my nature to lurk around for a while, observing before I chime in. I guess over the last year I've been douubting whethter kava was really right for me. Just recently I've fully embraced it and I'm loving it, thought I'd share my story. I enjoy hearing how kava has been a wonderful part of others lives too.
I didn't know about the LDL cholesterol. I'll have to look more into that.
I did recently buy the AluBall. I only used it once so far. Not sure really how it works. Does it really make as good a drink as tradential prep? I've read elsewhere here too about the AluBottle. Is this a different product? My AluBall came with a bottle, not sure if it's the same.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. Bula!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you! I know, I can be strange. It's my nature to lurk around for a while, observing before I chime in. I guess over the last year I've been douubting whethter kava was really right for me. Just recently I've fully embraced it and I'm loving it, thought I'd share my story. I enjoy hearing how kava has been a wonderful part of others lives too.
I didn't know about the LDL cholesterol. I'll have to look more into that.
I did recently buy the AluBall. I only used it once so far. Not sure really how it works. Does it really make as good a drink as tradential prep? I've read elsewhere here too about the AluBottle. Is this a different product? My AluBall came with a bottle, not sure if it's the same.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. Bula!
tha AluBottle is larger and has a cup for a lid.

AluBall makes great grog and allows me much greater yield. Combining AluBall on the first 2 washes and trad prep on the next 4. I get a yield of 24:1 grog : grind ratio, vs 4:1 or 8:1 as most people get. Even with the most hard core envelope pushing with trad I would max out at 16:1 and that only rarely. Now I get 24:1 with every grind I use, just incredible, thanks to the AluBall. With the Aluball I get 16:1 on the first 2 washes alone, what would take me 5 washes to get with trad prep, but then there's more washes left in that makas.

Grogorio

Kava Curious
tha AluBottle is larger and has a cup for a lid.

AluBall makes great grog and allows me much greater yield. Combining AluBall on the first 2 washes and trad prep on the next 4. I get a yield of 24:1 grog : grind ratio, vs 4:1 or 8:1 as most people get. Even with the most hard core envelope pushing with trad I would max out at 16:1 and that only rarely. Now I get 24:1 with every grind I use, just incredible, thanks to the AluBall. With the Aluball I get 16:1 on the first 2 washes alone, what would take me 5 washes to get with trad prep, but then there's more washes left in that makas.
Wow! That's some incredible yeild! Well then, I think it's a no brainer, I should be using the AluBall more often. Thanks for the tips on doing multiple washes that way. I didn't think of that or realize that I could get multiple drinks from the same grind. I've been wasting so much Kava! Shame on me

Miro

Welcome @Grogorio to the kava community. I used to lurk the yuku lounge back in the day...lol. I lived alone in apt, after stressful day at work, id come home put on hawaiian vids on YouTube or Bob Marley docs, krunk out on bkh or n@h and lurk the forum. I can't explain how Content I was in those moments. Very grateful for this forum.

@Squanch72 nicely put brother. Put an order through moment ago.. I'm jazzed to squanch out man, thank you for being a great vendor dude.

Grogorio

Kava Curious
Welcome @Grogorio to the kava community. I used to lurk the yuku lounge back in the day...lol. I lived alone in apt, after stressful day at work, id come home put on hawaiian vids on YouTube or Bob Marley docs, krunk out on bkh or n@h and lurk the forum. I can't explain how Content I was in those moments. Very grateful for this forum.

@Squanch72 nicely put brother. Put an order through moment ago.. I'm jazzed to squanch out man, thank you for being a great vendor dude.
Thanks @Miro, I second that, the Kava community is very unique. There's none like this group of chill, super laid back and positive people.

I haven't tried anything from @Squanch72 . What do you recommend?

Miro

Thanks @Miro, I second that, the Kava community is very unique. There's none like this group of chill, super laid back and positive people.

Getting me some of his famous Fijian Waka that's been raved about here as a 'must experience' kava. I've had all-waka before but from what I've gathered it's got some Power... but in a friendly, soft, hairy, wool blanket kind of way. Like that big guy from Green Mile but hairy..

Also heard it can be adaptogenic which is fascinating to me because I used Rhodiola rosea for a while,I enjoyed it's subtle effects but for sone reason got away from it... I think it could cause me you be edgy at times but can't be sure.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor

My town was shut down from the storm yesterday. Going to suit up and walk the orders down to the local post office in a few hours. There will be multiple Squanch sightings in Deltaville today lol.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor

If you use kava during the day or to survive in-laws and other awkward social moments get the In-Law-ena if you shell at night get the Waka. Waka is also great for waking up early on the weekend before the rest of the family rises to couch surf along to music or strange shit like Graham Hancock of Squanch videos on YouTube :)

Miro

Oh, quick question, how long should I be shaking this Aluball?::aluball::::alubottle::
Fill the ball only half way.. resist the urge to get more than 2Tbs in there! You'll get way better extraction than trying to put more in there.. I shake for about 5 minutes. Kavafied recommends having the top facing downward but I just go full on Shake-weight meets hipster cocktail bartender, play loud music and do happy 'about to drank me some kava ' dance!

I always add tap- hot water after for second wash. Also I HIGHLY recommend getting an additional ball and doing a double.. so great when not doing traditional.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I do about a minute for four to five washes. I also do a dry run, no water, just spin the Aluballs around a few times to get all the liquid out. I use to to three Aluballs but very underfill them so they don't cement like @Miro mentioned, less is more