What's new

Powdered Kava Review Malekula Magic

Shantu

Kava Curious
As a disclaimer, I am a kava newbie. I don't have any point of comparison as I haven't had experience with other kavas yet, something I am planning on changing in a few days (Tanna Marang, here I come!). I'm also quite unsure about the whole reverse tolerance thing because I do feel effects - and did on the first or second try as well - but they are nowhere near as intense as others seem to descibe it. Anyway, my point is, take everything I say with a grain of salt. And this is all very subjective, everyone has a different experience.

This wasn't my first taste of Malekula. This was 6 of the last 11 tbsp of the powder that I received from the super nice Global Kava Exports in a giveaway. Admittedly, it took me ages to consume. The rest I am drinking right now. I will try to keep it coherent.
Last night I started at about 7 pm, had a fatty pasta meal at about 10 pm and then drank the second wash until about 1 am. 3 dl each glass, spaced apart in 20-40 minute intervals. I'm not sure but the food kind of killed most of the buzz for me, I underestimated the size of my plate. The second wash didn't give much effects afterwards but I didn't want it to go to waste. Let me give you a general description of my experiences, not tied to one session...

First, the smell and the taste. This kava is absolutely mild, both in smell and taste. It actually reminds me of vanilla and I try to imagine drinking a creamy vanilla drink every time. If you drink it cold I'd go so far as to say that it tastes good.
The kava effects come on quickly. Mouth and throat numbness come in under a minute and last for a good while. Then a slight euphoria sticks a smile on your face. You gain a fascination with and appreciation for things that you otherwise care little about, like the sound of keyboard mashing, or the intense chirring of cicadas. I am really temped to go on a night walk somewhere to feel the cool night breeze on my face, but I can't get myself to go.
It also makes you really sleepy. Not like a hammer to the head like some other kavas are described; it's much more subtle than that. First your eyes, then your head starts to get heavier and the light starts to bother you. And when you sleep, it really feels nice. I had the nicest sleep in a long time last night with vivid dreams in the morning. Then when I woke up I felt like I could be in bed all day, in a nice way.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give a rating on anxiolytic and anesthetic effects. My main reason for drinking kava is social anxiety and much to my sadness I haven't had noticeable effects so far. Even though it does make me scan the Kavaforums much more, I did not feel it when talking with a roommate nor any of the next days. I might report back on this one tomorrow after work, should be plenty of a test.

So that's about it. I am pretty sure I forgot a vital part of the review that I had been composing for a good while now, both in head and on screen. Nevertheless I can only recommend this kava to everyone, it's the real thing.
Thanks to GKE for their awesome service and kava.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thanks for the great review!! (y) They sent me some to try and I can't wait. If you have any new insights please update your review as needed. Thanks again for the review.

violet

Do all things with love
@Shantu I also suffer from social anxiety and was surprised and disappointed that nearly all of the kavas I have tried have been of little help for me on that front. I was thrilled when I tried Mapulehu (micronized), it prevented/relieved my social anxiety quite well. You may want to give it a try, it is a wonderfully mellow kava, I am sure you would enjoy it either way.

Last edited:

Shantu

Kava Curious
Had a great morning! I can't ever remember waking up with a smile. And my good mood lasted well into the afternoon. Still didn't feel much anxiety relief from it, maybe just a little bit. Not quite sure, hopefully it will come with time. But in retrospect I didn't get very stressed today when I normally would have. :) Oh, I also edited some of the points given on the form, these feel more appropriate.
Violet, thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately that's kind of out of my budget at the moment but I'm glad something worked for you!(y)

violet

Do all things with love
:facepalm: I am so sorry I did not even pay attention to where I was posting a recommendation for a different vendor :oops::bag:. Keep at it @Shantu, those "shielding" benefits are very nice. Being able to wake up in good humor and feel relaxed throughout the day on a regular basis can also have some effect on your social anxiety until you meet with a kava that has a more specific impact.