What's new

Vendor News Manual Kava Wash Extraction Machine and Why Kava Washing Machines are far superior to hand kneading

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Well, of course the guy selling them is going to say they're "far superior."

Anyone else care enough to chime in?
Well I recently purchased the magic kava bucket. It was supposed to arrive today but didn’t, supposedly going to be arriving tomorrow. I’ll post my thoughts after using a few times. Not sure how they could be far superior within normal amounts for a few. If making large quantities then I’m sure it very well might be. Seems a bit wrong from traditional methods but I suppose most of us are not chewing up the plant to spit into a bowl anyways lol.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Using a machine like this was pioneered in Auckland, New Zealand, and definitely works. I'd say it's far superior to any other method if you have to make large quantities.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Well I recently purchased the magic kava bucket. It was supposed to arrive today but didn’t, supposedly going to be arriving tomorrow. I’ll post my thoughts after using a few times. Not sure how they could be far superior within normal amounts for a few. If making large quantities then I’m sure it very well might be. Seems a bit wrong from traditional methods but I suppose most of us are not chewing up the plant to spit into a bowl anyways lol.
Having to clean the machine afterward surely removes some of the convenience factor, no?

Granted, I haven't really looked into this much at all, but the thumbnail & "far superior" in the post title here aren't doing it for me.

Just seems a tad gimmicky in my eyes.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Having to clean the machine afterward surely removes some of the convenience factor, no?

Granted, I haven't really looked into this much at all, but the thumbnail & "far superior" in the post title here aren't doing it for me.

Honestly I don’t think cleanup is gonna be bad at all. Just received the item today and trying it literally right now… unfortunately mine didn’t include the two strainer bags it was supposed to. Have one of the bags still but has a hole in it. Ended up just tying a bag up and throwing it in. Gonna see how that goes lol

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack

The one I got was the gallon motorized one as well to be exact.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Honestly I don’t think cleanup is gonna be bad at all. Just received the item today and trying it literally right now… unfortunately mine didn’t include the two strainer bags it was supposed to. Have one of the bags still but has a hole in it. Ended up just tying a bag up and throwing it in. Gonna see how that goes lol
So, how was cleanup IYO?

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
So, how was cleanup IYO?
Pretty much just the same as usual with a bag and rinsing out the bucket. Seems to work pretty good and I imagine would function better with the pro bag that was supposed to be included. Believe the idea is the machine twists the strainer bag tight enough to function similarly to hand kneading. Without the bag it’s essentially just being tossed around like a Alu ball I suppose. Top section has a retaining lip I guess you would call it to hold onto the pro bag. Ordered a couple pro bags to be delivered Sunday. Gf sewed the bag I have which I’ll give a go tomorrow.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Please tell us what you think :bookworm:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Well, of course the guy selling them is going to say they're "far superior."

Anyone else care enough to chime in?
Some valid follow up questions might be:
"What do you mean by superior?" - is it % extraction, time efficiency in making large batches, or some other measure?
I don't run a kava bar but of the methods I have seen with buckets and strainers this might be more convenient but I am not sure making kava in large quantities was really an issue. That said I wouldn't expect much of an answer. Matt doesn't spend much time on kavaforums anymore and really only jumps on to promote his products.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Some valid follow up questions might be: "What do you mean by superior?" - is it % extraction, time efficiency in making large batches, or some other measure? I don't run a kava bar but of the methods I have seen with buckets and strainers this might be more convenient but I am not sure making kava in large quantities was really an issue. That said I wouldn't expect much of an answer. Matt doesn't spend much time on kavaforums anymore and really only jumps on to promote his products.
Yeah, I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not the biggest fan of the AluBall, either.

BS Detector & all of that...

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Yeah, I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not the biggest fan of the AluBall, either.

BS Detector & all of that...
Well I do like this product, again being the one gallon motorized version. It’s definitely something that I’ll be using regularly. Only thing I have concern for is outside of the bags missing, there is an odd electronic smell from the device even without a load or use. I fix equipment for a living so hopefully repair shouldn’t be too difficult down the line as long as parts can be sourced effectively, hopefully wouldn’t come to that. I’m not big on the aluball either. Think it works ok but I tend to have a high tolerance to most things and 3 aluballs at max seem to not quite do what I want most of the time. Also seems to greatly increase damage on the balls as well while not being incredibly effective. I definitely like this but wouldn’t say it’s as effective as good old hand kneading.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Well I do like this product, again being the one gallon motorized version. It’s definitely something that I’ll be using regularly. Only thing I have concern for is outside of the bags missing, there is an odd electronic smell from the device even without a load or use. I fix equipment for a living so hopefully repair shouldn’t be too difficult down the line as long as parts can be sourced effectively, hopefully wouldn’t come to that. I’m not big on the aluball either. Think it works ok but I tend to have a high tolerance to most things and 3 aluballs at max seem to not quite do what I want most of the time. Also seems to greatly increase damage on the balls as well while not being incredibly effective. I definitely like this but wouldn’t say it’s as effective as good old hand kneading.
So I wonder if a kava bar making making multiple gallons a night if it is better (from a cost perspective) to make a weaker grog but faster (less labor cost) or a stronger grog (more labor but higher extraction). I am guessing if you are getting your kava wholesale on large pallets that the cost of kava doesn't rival the cost of labor these days. So a machine like this still might make sense....

Aluball was fun for awhile but they kept breaking and it subjecitvly provided a different experience due to how fine the mesh was and no kneading. If you like a lighter, smoother, headier grog aluball was excellent. If you like a dark thick mud soup you will never get that out of the aluball.

Lenticels

AluNaw
So I wonder if a kava bar making making multiple gallons a night if it is better (from a cost perspective) to make a weaker grog but faster (less labor cost) or a stronger grog (more labor but higher extraction).
At least from what I've read, a lot of kava bars tend to serve weak sauce.
I am guessing if you are getting your kava wholesale on large pallets that the cost of kava doesn't rival the cost of labor these days. So a machine like this still might make sense....
Kava root is still an expensive commodity, even if you're buying it wholesale.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
At least from what I've read, a lot of kava bars tend to serve weak sauce.

Kava root is still an expensive commodity, even if you're buying it wholesale.
I know it's sacriledge, but there is an accepted amount of wastage when you enter the commercial side of things.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
I should ask for a job in such a kava bar as a kitchen sink...

At least sometimes my mind state is like that