What's new

Vendor News Manual Kava Wash Extraction Machine and Why Kava Washing Machines are far superior to hand kneading

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Pretty much... I just hope those buckets are food-safe, though!
So after using the device over a period of time I have been pleased with it but whether it’s worth it or not would be subjective to the individual. I feel like I have to use a bit more water than normal but that kind of comes with the territory of something like this. I don’t feel like this product is necessarily marketed for individual use as it is more so for large quantities in a group setting which is sorta a duh conclusion. That being said I still use it regularly.

Get home from work and drop my kava and water in to let the machine do its thing for a cycle or two. Then I dump it out and hand knead for a very brief period. Allows me to make my kava with little effort involved but obviously is extra steps. That alone might be sound ridiculous I suppose depending on what you value personally. Often I don’t feel like hand kneading aggressively for 15 mins and for that reason alone I won’t make kava. With this I hand knead for a couple mins after and feel as though it’s just as effective. For me personally it’s 100% worth it, for you or others might find it just a waste of money. I believe it’s a great product but whether it’s for you or not is up to the individual.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Often I don’t feel like hand kneading aggressively for 15 mins and for that reason alone I won’t make kava. With this I hand knead for a couple mins after and feel as though it’s just as effective.
I do the same thing minus the equipment :D. I knead for 2-5 minutes at best and I don't notice any differences, if anything, it may mean a better second wash.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Often I don’t feel like hand kneading aggressively for 15 mins and for that reason alone I won’t make kava.
Well, you could always just hand-knead a large batch in, yes, a large bowl or tanoa; I have done this before and made enough prepared kava to last me three days.

There's always the half-gallon Mason jar way, too, or Dr. Bittenbender's CTAHR method, the boiling method if you don't mind changing the makeup of KLs in your kava (i.e., it will favor some and disfavor others), and so on and so forth.

(Also, 15 minutes of agitation for one wash is definitely on the upper end: I myself typically work the kava for a quite solid 11 minutes when I choose to hand-knead, and I have yet to find the potency wanting from doing so. I could easily go less...)

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Well, you could always just hand-knead a large batch in, yes, a large bowl or tanoa; I have done this before and made enough prepared kava to last me three days.

There's always the half-gallon Mason jar way, too, or Dr. Bittenbender's CTAHR method, the boiling method if you don't mind changing the makeup of KLs in your kava (i.e., it will favor some and disfavor others), and so on and so forth.

(Also, 15 minutes of agitation for one wash is definitely on the upper end: I myself typically work the kava for a quite solid 11 minutes when I choose to hand-knead, and I have yet to find the potency wanting from doing so. I could easily go less...)
Sure you can but it can be a bit of effort for sure especially with larger quantities. I do enough physical labor at work as is, last thing I want to do is even more after getting home. I use fairly large quantities and find for myself anyways that I have to be quite a bit more aggressive with the hand kneading process in order to squeeze everything effectively. I’ve tried about every prep method that’s out here and at this point prefer to stick with trad prep using room temp water. I’ve done that before and it definitely changed the flavor profile in a very much negative way in what was my experience. With as much root and little water I use it made what I cannot deserve better other than repulsive when I normally mind or even enjoy the taste to some degree. I often prep in much shorter periods with great success but tend to prefer longer prep if even for piece of mind.

Anyhoo I’m not trying to sell the product upon you are anyone else. I definitely love it and would even recommend it but only if it suits your needs. If you don’t mind normal prep and only prepare small amounts for yourself than probably doesn’t make much sense for you.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I do the same thing minus the equipment :D. I knead for 2-5 minutes at best and I don't notice any differences, if anything, it may mean a better second wash.
Hey fair enough! I have kneaded for 5 mins and felt like I had a similar experience. I think I generally opt for longer more so due to piece of mind knowing I got everything out of it. I make mine fairly strong which I’m fine with but don’t really do a second wash due to too much liquid. For how much liquid I’d have to drink compared to the weakness, it’s not worth it for me, not to mention it’s usually bed time by then lol. I’ll throw the makas in the freezer for a large prep down the road.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Sure you can but it can be a bit of effort for sure especially with larger quantities. I do enough physical labor at work as is, last thing I want to do is even more after getting home. I use fairly large quantities and find for myself anyways that I have to be quite a bit more aggressive with the hand kneading process in order to squeeze everything effectively.
I haven't personally found that to be an issue, probably because I tend to manhandle my strainer bag either way (so, small or large batch, effort doesn't change much for me while actively kneading/working it.)

Good way to blow off steam, IMO!

...I once, however, manhandled it too aggressively and paid the price for that with a mess! You've got to strike that balance between manhandling it while still finessing it to some degree.

(I will say, though, that decanting into smaller vessels of course becomes a little bit more involved/annoying with large(r) batches; that much I have found to be true.)

I’ve tried about every prep method that’s out here and at this point prefer to stick with trad prep using room temp water. I’ve done that before and it definitely changed the flavor profile in a very much negative way in what was my experience. With as much root and little water I use it made what I cannot deserve better other than repulsive when I normally mind or even enjoy the taste to some degree. I often prep in much shorter periods with great success but tend to prefer longer prep if even for piece of mind.
Re what I stated in my previous comment about the boiling method "changing the makeup of KLs," I'd like to rescind that statement: I do believe the only negative outcome from going that route is, indeed, the taste. I must have remembered incorrectly/misread something.