What's new

Maximizing Extraction with the AluBall

Status
Not open for further replies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I got a pair of AluBalls a little while ago, and I have been playing with them a bit :D. I wanted to share something I just figured out about how to make the most potent drink from them.

The instructions say to put 2 tablespoons in the bottom half of the ball, and then screw on the top half. However, I had thought that I could just pack another 2 tablespoons into the other half before screwing the halves together. Twice the kava, should make twice as potent a drink, right? Wrong! The AluBall actually seems to make a stronger drink if you follow the instructions and only use 2 tbsps per ball. I think the reason for this is that if there is some empty space in the ball, the powder has room to move around and be slammed against the inside of the ball, to squeeze the kavalactones out. But if the ball is too tightly packed, the powder can't move around. Plus, the powder absorbs water, so its volume expands. This results in a weaker drink. If you want to increase the potency, you can use 2 balls, with 2 tbsp each.

So, basically, your AluBall will perform best if you just follow the instructions and don't over stuff it. Who knew that there is actually a good reason for the specific instructions? :facepalm:

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I got a pair of AluBalls a little while ago, and I have been playing with them a bit :D. I wanted to share something I just figured out about how to make the most potent drink from them.

The instructions say to put 2 tablespoons in the bottom half of the ball, and then screw on the top half. However, I had thought that I could just pack another 2 tablespoons into the other half before screwing the halves together. Twice the kava, should make twice as potent a drink, right? Wrong! The AluBall actually seems to make a stronger drink if you follow the instructions and only use 2 tbsps per ball. I think the reason for this is that if there is some empty space in the ball, the powder has room to move around and be slammed against the inside of the ball, to squeeze the kavalactones out. But if the ball is too tightly packed, the powder can't move around. Plus, the powder absorbs water, so its volume expands. This results in a weaker drink. If you want to increase the potency, you can use 2 balls, with 2 tbsp each.

So, basically, your AluBall will perform best if you just follow the instructions and don't over stuff it. Who knew that there is actually a good reason for the specific instructions? :facepalm:
Spot on there, less is more with the aluball. As the kava absorbs water in the aluball, it expands and gains mass. By leaving space on the other side of the ball, you generate a lot more momentum with the free flowing kava roots in the ball as it counteracts with the momentum of the moving ball itself. The brewing method of the aluball is based off of classical mechanics Force=Mass*Acceleration .... you want the force generated on the roots to be as high as possible. Additionally, its spherical design allows you to get an even distribution of force exerted on the kava roots where as in traditional prepping, the compressive forces generated on the roots are unevenly distributed.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Mine have just arrived today and i had wondered about packing kava in each side of the ball.... I will just go with the instruction you have given!
Yup, just follow the instructions that come with the balls: room temp water, about 2 tbsp per ball.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Is there not an advantage to using slightly hotter water? Of course you would need to be careful to get the lid on tight.
There would be, but the AluBall is not designed for hot water. I'm not sure whether the issue is food safety of the plastic it is made out of, or mechanical durability.

Status
Not open for further replies.