What's new

Mct oil

ThePiper

Kava Lover
So as some know, I like many of you have anxiety and depression. I have recently started an intensive class and will still be working so I was looking at how to help the low cognitive function and fatigue I struggle with. I bought a cold brew coffeethat had mct oil in it and it was like I took speed or something when I drank it. I felt razor sharp, focused, spiritually connected, super social, confident, the works. I was a little hypomanic. I have a nonfunctional gallbladder so I wonder if it’s just that my body doesn’t process fat and now Im able to utilize it for cognitive purposes finally (I’m extremely skinny and my doc told me my gallbladder functions at 2%). I was curious if anyone else here has ever had this reaction. I was even getting jaw tightness like I was on a stimulant. I was drinking kava during these experiments so could that be a factor? I don’t know.Just wanted to chat with you guys about it because we Are a community of people who are working on our mental and physical health and many of you are very knowledgeable.

Ps: I have done this twice and thought that maybe it was just a coincidence the first day but I remember hearing on another forum that someone would stay up all night on mct. I took a smaller dose today and it was less overwhelming but still profound.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Maybe no one can relate to this. I am in a new chapter of my life so it is probably my environment that is making it so profound but maybe someone has had this experience of mct oil feeling like you are overstimulated in a good or bad way? Tomorrow I will skip it and hopefully still keep my cognitive function where I need it to be. It also makes me not want to eat almost like maybe a thyroid imbalance? Very strange

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Maybe no one can relate to this. I am in a new chapter of my life so it is probably my environment that is making it so profound but maybe someone has had this experience of mct oil feeling like you are overstimulated in a good or bad way? Tomorrow I will skip it and hopefully still keep my cognitive function where I need it to be. It also makes me not want to eat almost like maybe a thyroid imbalance? Very strange
I took MCT oil myself and didn't notice any stimulation, then again I don't drink coffee, so the caffeine could be crucial in the equation.

jonaspmd

found kava
MCT oils came into vogue together with keto diets, so fairly recently. I think it's safe to say, that we as consumers are still learning about the effects. Tried it for a brief period of time with no noticeable effects.

As always, with self experimentation, do it using safe doses, gradually increasing (i heard it works as laxative); when introducing MCT oil in your daily diet keep all else equal (otherwise you won't know what caused what) and observe the effects.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
So I do feel that it helps with energy and brain fog but that I get best results mixing it with coffee, which is how I was introduced to it. It could even be that the mct I have now isn’t as good as what came on those expensive cold brew cans

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
So as some know, I like many of you have anxiety and depression. I have recently started an intensive class and will still be working so I was looking at how to help the low cognitive function and fatigue I struggle with. I bought a cold brew coffeethat had mct oil in it and it was like I took speed or something when I drank it. I felt razor sharp, focused, spiritually connected, super social, confident, the works. I was a little hypomanic. I have a nonfunctional gallbladder so I wonder if it’s just that my body doesn’t process fat and now Im able to utilize it for cognitive purposes finally (I’m extremely skinny and my doc told me my gallbladder functions at 2%). I was curious if anyone else here has ever had this reaction. I was even getting jaw tightness like I was on a stimulant. I was drinking kava during these experiments so could that be a factor? I don’t know.Just wanted to chat with you guys about it because we Are a community of people who are working on our mental and physical health and many of you are very knowledgeable.

Ps: I have done this twice and thought that maybe it was just a coincidence the first day but I remember hearing on another forum that someone would stay up all night on mct. I took a smaller dose today and it was less overwhelming but still profound.
Coconut oil fullstop I believe stands alone, in that it’s the only fat that doesn’t actually require any digestion. No liver action as per normal, the liver being one chief and primary digestive organ.

So coconut oil fullstop is very suited for gall bladder issues, insufficiencies.

The type of fat you eat is so important. Manmade, refined oils, your gall bladder cannot manage and they sabotage it.

The best fat, medicinally, is proper Ghee, best organic unsalted we make our own it’s so easy, just a process.

Ghee especially, butter also, are much easier to digest and don’t stress the gall bladder, but don’t bypass digestion completely like coconut oil.

MCT Oil, may have a unique characteristic. It’s just fractioned off parts of full coconut oil though, minus caprylic and lauric acid higher in Medium-Chain-Triglycerides.

But @ThePiper my point here, long ago I heard the special ticket for the exact type of positive effect you describe- was a teaspoon each in coffee, of coconut oil and ghee, specifically.

With MCT Oil. adding proper ghee would possibly enhance that more.

If you ever wanted the simplest instructions on making ghee easily, not clarified butter btw, ghee is a different product that takes the full time, just ask it’s so failproof but it’s all about the timing, knowing exactly when to finally turn the heat off.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use MCT via organic coconut oil, in food prep as well as a tbsp once in a while as a supplement. It is my understanding that not all mct oils are created equally. Some have a higher concentration of Saturated fats which is not good for your heart. Think of it in terms of a kavalactone extract versus kava, while they may appear to be equally beneficial, they are not.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I use MCT via organic coconut oil, in food prep as well as a tbsp once in a while as a supplement. It is my understanding that not all mct oils are created equally. Some have a higher concentration of Saturated fats which is not good for your heart. Think of it in terms of a kavalactone extract versus kava, while they may appear to be equally beneficial, they are not.
The thing about saturated fats, decades ago I ate about 60-70 grams of ghee daily. Plus olive oil, nuts fish etc, so high natural fat diet.

For 10 years nearly I’ve eaten 45-60 grams coconut oil daily.

Zero whatsoever indication of heart trouble, bad cholesterol, BP etc. My experience anyway.

I read an excellent nutritional information book called “nourishing traditions” by Sally Falon. It was said that we should aim to eat a 50-50 ratio of saturated and unsaturated fats ideally so it may not just be the amount of saturated fat but how are you balance it out with unsaturated and also the type of saturated fat like in processed meats it can be harmful.

And yes definitely that logic or support it comes from coconut oil but it can still behave differently.

I am curious also whether our home-made medicinal “herb” edibles Which we have always infused into coconut oil might work even better into MCT oil.

If a good quality brand which I always seek out with anything with medicinal action or not bother at all if it wasn’t as expensive I would probably use it for our edibles, But organic virgin coconut oil has become so cheap and widely available these days.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have virgin coconut oil too, and o notice it is much smoother on my stomach while giving some energy. Thanks so much for the suggestion of ghee. I will buy some at the store today to see how I like it, and maybe I can learn to make it if I find it beneficial. I have been eating more plant based fats across the board and I haven’t noticed any complaints from my gallbladder so far. It seems that as long as I take milk thistle and limit fried foods or high fat cuts of meat, I can do ok. But that fat absorption is so important for me. Does ghee facilitate healthy weight gain? I would love to find something that would help with that. Even 5 pounds would make a world of difference. I have always been skinny but I weigh about 10 pounds less than I did in high school, (5’10) and 125 pounds now) putting me into an underweight BMI. I worry about my joints and organ function because I know that being underweight puts stress on those things.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I have virgin coconut oil too, and o notice it is much smoother on my stomach while giving some energy. Thanks so much for the suggestion of ghee. I will buy some at the store today to see how I like it, and maybe I can learn to make it if I find it beneficial. I have been eating more plant based fats across the board and I haven’t noticed any complaints from my gallbladder so far. It seems that as long as I take milk thistle and limit fried foods or high fat cuts of meat, I can do ok. But that fat absorption is so important for me. Does ghee facilitate healthy weight gain? I would love to find something that would help with that. Even 5 pounds would make a world of difference. I have always been skinny but I weigh about 10 pounds less than I did in high school, (5’10) and 125 pounds now) putting me into an underweight BMI. I worry about my joints and organ function because I know that being underweight puts stress on those things.
Yes Ghee would help with like you say, “healthy” weight gain, it’s a very clean, body friendly, body balancing and medicinal property fat.

Ghee is praised in its roots in Ayurveda for being the best fat for the body, as it has a range of unique properties- it’s balancing for all “doshas” too and very stimulative to the digestive system in a way I’m not sure any other edible fat is, So that alone would probably also help with weight gaining.

But don’t just get any old ghee off the supermarket shelf because it literally is a completely different thing it’s a kin to buying fake Kava capsules or extracts versus the real thing basically.

You can buy proper organic ghee it’s just Very expensive whereas to make your own you just need three packs of organic unsalted butter like 750 g and a saucepan and some cheese cloth and a jar then follow the very simple process which is very therapeutic and you will have some absolute golden nectar which taste like honey and smells like toffee.

The stuff you will find on the supermarket shelves is rancid clarified butter it’s not even properly made Ghee, Doesn’t have anything Slightly resemblant of the sweet, toffee flavour, Nor I doubt any Real medicinal properties.

The really important thing to be conscious of with consuming a predominance of plant-based oils and fats including nuts and seeds is that it’s very important to keep a balance between omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and plant Vegetable oils tend to be extortionately high in Omega 6 and so low in 3’s, same for nearly all nuts, ESPECIALLY Walnuts, long mistakenly seen as a “good source of Omega 3”, When ironically it is the balance which is absolutely crucial because omega six fatty acids are pro inflammatory and omega 3 are anti-inflammatory and modern diets contain a massively greater proportion of omega six and this is driving so many chronic inflammatory conditions.

And walnuts ratio of omega 6 to 3 enormously outweighs it, so it’s really, on paper, not “a good source of Omega 3, effectively.

Fats like coconut oil, butter, ghee, organic beef fat, Contain barely any omega 6 fatty acids at all so if you are able to supplement your diet with sufficient omega 3 from a quality fish oil as well as oily fish if possible, And at the same time reduce deep proportion of vegetable oils you are using in place of these fats with minimal Omega 6, That would be the best way to use and balance fat intake in my long belief from having really studied diets from all over the world and throughout history including the work of western price many decades back now and also my own personal experience consuming very large amounts of these natural saturated fats daily for decades without developing any of the supposed Negative health consequences we are all led to believe will ensue from such behaviours.

And again mate if you ever do you wanna make your own ghee is incredibly easy, Just ask and I can dot you out the simplest instructions.

Stefan

Kava Curious
Try making a strong morning coffee with ghee or MCT-oil, mucuna extract 150mg, l-theanine 150mg, rhodiola extract 100mg, a little honey/sugar optional.
Very clean high from the L-dopa in the mucuna increasing your dopaminlevels like stimulants does, just in a healthy way, the l-theanine balances out the jitters from the caffeine, the rhodiola provides a longer moodlifting stimulation and the fats you've already covered here so no need to go into that.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Just a warning on MCT oil if you have not used it before - there is a gut adjustment and a fine line between wow that is great and holy batman where the f' is the closest bathroom.....

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I think I have brain fog, especially in introverted/boring/tedious situations, a hour after waking up and after high glycemic index meals.

I find that coffee is no good against brain fog in standard situations. Tea is maybe better.

Good things are physical activity, social stimulation, yohimbine, kanna, and music. Kava - it is neutral, I think.

Keto w/o MCT and probably too much protein was OK. Should retry.

M

MitoReGen

And again mate if you ever do you wanna make your own ghee is incredibly easy, Just ask and I can dot you out the simplest instructions.
Please do share your ghee recipe. I make clarified butter all the time, but if I can improve its quality, I'm interested.

M

MitoReGen

Does ghee facilitate healthy weight gain? I would love to find something that would help with that. Even 5 pounds would make a world of difference. I have always been skinny but I weigh about 10 pounds less than I did in high school, (5’10) and 125 pounds now) putting me into an underweight BMI. I worry about my joints and organ function because I know that being underweight puts stress on those things.
I'm a "hard-gainer" as well, but not as bad as you. I'm 5-11, but fell to a low of 146 lbs. not too long ago. I'm just over 160 lbs. now.
I have a theory as to why I suffered from what I intuitively called "muscle acid." I gained muscle until I was about 20, then it was all downhill. Nerve damage played a role for 15 years, but even after that effect mostly resolved, I could not gain much muscle. My body would not allow it.
Why?
I believe that it had to do with poor mitochoondrial activation. Muscles are, after all, an expression of mitochondrial vitality! They represent cellular energy, and mitochondria *are* cellular energy.
So, how can mitochondria be starved and or dysregulated? If you can figure that out, I believe you can turn from catabolic to anabolic, but will likely have a fair amount of organ and tissue repair before you should try to load up on muscle, which will effectively divert energy from your recovery processes.
I had a friend who was very muscular, but had a heart attack in his 40's. You don't want that outcome. I suspect his muscles diverted lots of Mg-ATP, the true energy molecule of the cell (ATP without Mg is a doorstop in the cell, and no more) from his heart.
In my case, I ingested a heavy amount of dairy. Dairy is, according to Dr. Robert O. Young, ND, the #1 most acidic food there is. Alcohol is #10 on his list.
Anyway, when you ingest acid, you body is smart and will neutralize it. How does it do this?
Acids are electron seeking fluids and alkalines are electron donating fluids. So the body uses electrons to balance the acids, and it gets these from alkaline minerals like magnesium and calcium.
What activate muscle contraction and loosening? Calcium and magnesium!
Is the body siphoning magnesium and calcium from the muscles in order to balance an acidic diet?
Maybe.
The enzyme that activates the air you breath so it can play its role in Mg-ATP production requires copper to activate it. In fact, all oxidase enzymes require copper to fully activate, so your endogenous anti-oxidant enzymes all depend on our copper status.
And your copper status depends on the status of your copper transport enzyme, ceruloplasmin.
And ceruloplasmin depends on retinoic acid and magnesium so the ATP7B enzyme can load copper into ceruloplasmin.
And retinoic acid depends on retinol and light expxosure.
And the rusty metallic iron filings "fortified" into the flour in 1941 are gumming up the whole works. This screws up energy production, and your cells, being very smart, are preventing you from gaining muscle as a survival mechanism to *keep you alive*, or so my hypothesis leads me to believe.
Within the last month or so, I discovered a likely a road block. It seems cells with damaged mitochondria don't just die and get recycled. They effectively turn into what I call "zombie cells" that don't function very well. When enough accumulate, you get symptoms, including neurological ones. And some of these zombie cells flip into anaerobic mode and are then called cancer cells. If a person's mitochondrial degeneration has passed a certain point, it is necessary to force autophagy in order to force the week cells to die off, be recycled, and for new, healthy cells with healthy mitochondria to take their place.
Search the following on Youtube, Podbay, Google, etc. Visit their homepages.
It's all about the mitochondria, baby!
1. Dr. Chris Palmer -- Keto Mental Health
2. Dr. Thomas, Seyfried -- Cancer Keto Glutamine suppressor
3. Morley Robbins -- Mineral Based Mitochondrial Support
4. Dr. Barry Sears -- Zone Diet (but won't force autophagy, keto has to do that. Once the body heals, the Zone Diet will likely work out very well for most people)
5. Dr. David Diamond -- Cholesterol (it isn't bad, but oxidized LDL is very bad!)
Some pro-tips to help you on your journey, if you have the courage and determination to pursue it...
1. Avoid factory farmed everything. Stressed out abused animals will provide your body with a nutritional stress imprint. Not to mention they are fed copper blockers, magnesium blockers, etc... Eat according to what NATURE provides. Eat like your ancestors 500 years ago, 1000 years ago, and 4000 years ago. Eat the same food as they did, grown the same way. There are some exceptions, but keep them minimal (cod liver oil supplements, fish oil supplements, cold pressed organic EVOO, Udo's Oil, whole food vitamin C complex supplment, magnesium supplements, potassium supplements, etc...)
2. Start by going to a Zone Diet eating style with a magnesium and retinol bias, and then gradually lower your carbs and increase fats until you go into ketosis.
3. Titrate up the retinol and magnesium over time, as well as exposure to daylight (sun bathe and absorbing daylight rays with your eyes (this breaks down retinol to retinoic acid). You absolutely want your liver loaded with retinol (broken down into retinoic acid by light exposure) and magnesium before you start adding copper.
4. Make sure grass-raised and finished pastured animal liver is a weekly affair. You have to eat quality liver. It has everything. I now eat goat and lamb liver, heart, and brain. I've eaten kidneys and spleen as well. I make a delicious goat soup as long as I cut it with some chicken soup broth, otherwise it is too gamy tasting for me.
5. Reduce stress. Stress acts like a mitochondrial short-circuit. You need energy to heal, not an energy sink that drains healing energy away.
6. Try to eat net alkaline every day. Your body uses electrons to create energy and produces acids that need to be neutralized by alkaline fluids. Somehow the body is able to manage highly acidic diets for a long time, but at what cost? Reduce that cost. Maybe eliminate it. Nutrient dense organ meats are only slightly acidic going down, but absolutely alkaline forming once ingested (like a lemon -- very few know this because they don't understand bio-copper and its effect on 40 quadrillion mitochondria in the human body). Nutrient dense muscle meat will be acidic, but not too bad. Factory farmed animals will be much more acidic.
I ingest a fair amount of magnesium bicarbonate that I make from magnesium hydroxide. I also ingest potassium bicarbonate that I buy from BulkSupplements.com. I also ingest sodium bicarbonate. All these are alkalizers adding electrons into my system, and also adding key electrolytes.
7. I also use pure sodium chloride and potassium chloride for my salts. Morton's Canning and Pickling salt resulted in 2/3 better outcomes than sea salts or Himalayan salts per the clinical observation of Dr. Hal Huggins, DDS. That's the best evidence for salt I can find. Almost nobody, perhaps nobody, ever A/B tests their favorite salt against Morton's C&P Salts. Huggins suggested the natural salts lost their electrons millions of years ago and that the toxins associated with them were damaging. I add put potassium chloride because research out of Europe showed positive effects of doing so. It also makes sense to balance sodium and potassium.
8. Stop ingesting toxic seed oils, and stop heating any oil that is not ghee, clarified butter, or animal fat. Stop stressing your body out by making it process oxidized molecules from your system. As Dr. Hugginis used to say, "you have to step out of the shower before you can dry off."
9. Red light sauna therapy appears to be quite good as a detox avenue. Dr. Lawrence Wilson has information on how to set one up on the cheap.
Well, that's a great start in my book. If you head down this path, do share your results here. Ultimately, I'm a Socratic that simply wants to discern natural law and how to conform to it so that I can better live my life, and to help others do so as well.