What's new

Micronized kava

Grant Moore

Don't be in a hurry to go no where.
So it's time for me to buy more kava, and I was thinking of trying micronized. I've read reviews for micronized, but I'm still a bit skeptical about it. I don't doubt that it's more potent, but I seem to have a higher than usual tolerance to things. It usually take 8 tbls of medium grind for me to get the full effects of a kava. With that in mind, is micro a goods choice for me or will I be better off sticking with medium grind?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Well this is my opinion only, but I believe the benefit of micronized is that it exposes more of the surface of the kava fiber to make it easier to extract the kavatones from the root. But the catch is that it is much harder to extract the root fiber from the grog during the straining process, thus you end up consuming more root fiber than you would with medium grind. So I would personally pick micro for best strength, but medium for best filtering. It's a matter of whether you want good taste or good flavor?? :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Grant, like you, I describe myself as someone who tends to have a born in high tolerance to many things. I also use 8-9 Tbsp of ground root for my usual session.
I've had micronized GHK 'awa and it was as strong as my best nights with 8-9....but I only had to use about 5 Tbsp to get there. It was Mahakea and it was my favorite night of kava ever.
If price is no obstacle, it is very much worth it. Especially for the people who get those full effects with even less than I had to use. I still prefer med. grind most of the time because I feel that it's more cost effective, for me. I view micronized as something special I can treat myself to every once in a while...cuz it's so expensive, for how quickly I'd personally blow through it. But it's pretty awesome.

Grant Moore

Thanks HeadHodge and shakas. You've both really shed some light on the subject. I think I'll buy half a pound to see how I like it. I have a little extra in the kava fund so itl be a good opportunity for me to try it.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I find the micronized to be good. I cant say its a whole lot stronger, Its more a quality product, to me. I ordered, Mahakea, from GHK, and it was a superior product. But my reason for saying so, isn't necessarily potency. Its more taste, easy preparation, makes wonderful tasty drinks. Its amazing. But In my opinion, I found it to be about the same strength. I still use 6 tablespoons. But it may just be me. I would order the instant again, and plan too. I have a medium grind, from GHK on its way here. I may order another one of there instants next time. Much love. Roaddog....

D

Deleted User01

Grant, that's a good one. It is nice and heady and with other effects. I'll be hitting that one this afternoon. In my experience, the price of Micronized and Powder are about the same based on the amount you use. The Micro is more convenient and more pure. For those with finicky stomachs, I would recommend Micro and strained. That is the apex of purity and potency for me. If you strain it, do a second wash to get every last Kavalactone from the Kava. Sometimes I strain to make a Kava Syrup and sometimes I don't. The Kava Library has a technique for straining Micronized and Making Kava Syrup.

Grant Moore

Grant, that's a good one. It is nice and heady and with other effects. I'll be hitting that one this afternoon. In my experience, the price of Micronized and Powder are about the same based on the amount you use. The Micro is more convenient and more pure. For those with finicky stomachs, I would recommend Micro and strained. That is the apex of purity and potency for me. If you strain it, do a second wash to get every last Kavalactone from the Kava. Sometimes I strain to make a Kava Syrup and sometimes I don't. The Kava Library has a technique for straining Micronized and Making Kava Syrup.
Awesome, I love heady kavas. I probably wont strain it the first time so I can get the full effects the first time.

D

Deleted User01

Grant, the last 2 days I've been doing like 1 teaspoon every hour or so. Maybe 3-4 teas in the afternoon and a nitecap later. It has put me in a very very good mood. Not overwhelming, just a little giddy. You should try a teaspoon before you start the tedious work and see if it helps. It may not be for everyone but frequent low doses seem to work well for me. I had success with both Mahakea and Hanakapi Ai (which is my Kava du jour).

Grant Moore

Grant, the last 2 days I've been doing like 1 teaspoon every hour or so. Maybe 3-4 teas in the afternoon and a nitecap later. It has put me in a very very good mood. Not overwhelming, just a little giddy. You should try a teaspoon before you start the tedious work and see if it helps. It may not be for everyone but frequent low doses seem to work well for me. I had success with both Mahakea and Hanakapi Ai (which is my Kava du jour).
Sounds good. I think I'll give it a go!

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I love micro because I am so very lazy. It's just right there in the bag, ready to be mixed and chugged. But, I did go through a half pound bag of Mahakea pretty damn quick, so that's the other side of that coin.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to strain it, either. I don't get side effects bad enough to warrant it.

Got the micro sampler from GHK coming right now. Looks like there are some heavy ones in there, hopefully they'll slow me down a bit.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Saying yes, is a guaranteed "like" from me. (y)
(this is a secret but @Kapmcrunk is giving away FREE kava for members with more than 10 likes!!!)
Well I'm working on 10 likes, but I struggle. Maybe some day If I am very nice and friendly, some one will like my post. But as of yet, not a single like. Here let me see if this fishes me up any likes. Here's me and the Boys at the shooting range. If I was on Facebook this would surely get me a like. But no pity likes. I can earn my likes on my own. Much love. Roaddog....

Dump-people-3.jpg