What's new

Micronized or Instant

Introspect

Kava Curious
Which do you prefer and why? As some of you may know, I am new to Kava. I have placed my first order with Mike from Kalm (got the sampler package, as it seemed like a very affordable way to try out 2 different strains as well as his concentrate) but I am also wanting to try either the Mo'i instant from GHK or the instant from BKH next. From what I've read here, the micronized can be tough on the tummy for some, but I was just wondering whether instants or micronized were more preferred among the community.

CentaurianSlug

My waka's got makas but still "rakas"
instant is very clean and smooth but doesnt seem as much bang for the buck. If you go with ghk, I would go micronized. Ghk micronized is so smooth and clean it seems like instant until the effects hit and you realize this is a slightly different animal. I really like bkh 11 yr micronized. Its not as "clean" as the ghk stuff but it is more powerful to me. Chris at ghk will probably do you up a mixed sampler to see which you prefer.

Introspect

Kava Curious
instant is very clean and smooth but doesnt seem as much bang for the buck. If you go with ghk, I would go micronized. Ghk micronized is so smooth and clean it seems like instant until the effects hit and you realize this is a slightly different animal. I really like bkh 11 yr micronized. Its not as "clean" as the ghk stuff but it is more powerful to me. Chris at ghk will probably do you up a mixed sampler to see which you prefer.
Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. :)

xerarch

Kava Curious
I've been very, very happy with the GHK micro as well. Not that there's anything wrong with instant -- I can just stretch a dollar further with micro.

Jake o Links

Krunkin with Sasquatch!
micro. but I HAVE to strain it. Threw up once. constipation from fiber (and i drink 100+ ounces) dehydration headaches. So I finaly strained it, and boom. My great feelings came back without the unpleasant side effects. Easy on the tummy. Made Chris'es "micronized suryp" and it was great. I use 1 part concentrate to 2 parts beverage of choice. Works great, hardly any root material left in the juice=golden. you can find the recipe on ghk website. careful what you strain it in though. The particles are so fine thata the goo gets thick, and caused my strainer bag to spring a few leaks at the seams. I think next time, I'm using a t-shirt.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I'm worried about micro. I'm about to try my first micro, and toss-and-wash just scares me, even with micro. I have a very fine bag and will likely strain it to see how micro it really is.

Jake o Links

Krunkin with Sasquatch!
I'm worried about micro. I'm about to try my first micro, and toss-and-wash just scares me, even with micro. I have a very fine bag and will likely strain it to see how micro it really is.
A nylon or two should be good for straining. A few toss and wash drinks for me didn't hurt too bad, but the accumulation and a couple days use and things got tuff, as mentioned above. I read another member on an old post saying he got stopped up with Kava, and I am of the rare and "lucky" few it seems. No runs here. Just the opposite. Nothing at all:( and that's from any kava. Don't get me wrong, it still happens, just not nearly as often. I've pretty much decided I got to stick to stricter straining measures. Pretty sure its the fiber as the root cause for all of my negatives. I have noticed the worst when too much sedement ends up in my grog. For some reason the micro was the worst about it for me... till I strained it that is!:happy:

Jake o Links

Krunkin with Sasquatch!
@Jake o Links - with the micro, do you mix it up in water like with the instant, and then strain before you drink it?
not exactly. I put loads of it (like 10 TBS) in a 24 oz bottle. used a cup of soy milk, and the rest warm water. shook it like a crazy baboon for 10 min. then attempted to strain. strained very slow, that much micro sludge is really thick. It was such a hard strain that my fijian bag started leaking at the seams. washed it out into a pan, saved the liquid and started over with a t shirt.

D

Deleted User01

then I use 1/3rd cup of the concentrate and 2/3rds hawaiian punch. Only took a couple! :)
Micronized Syrup is cool cause you can keep it in lock top bottles in the fridge and mix it with juice on demand. The new GHK Micro is finer so you have to watch the strainer but don't forget to squeeze a second wash out of it. I usually take the second wash and gulp it down right there where I stand. It's like a free bonus drink. I did regret doing it the time I was making kava at 6am. Made the morning go kinda sloowwwww ....:sleep:

Jake o Links

Krunkin with Sasquatch!
Micronized Syrup is cool cause you can keep it in lock top bottles in the fridge and mix it with juice on demand. The new GHK Micro is finer so you have to watch the strainer but don't forget to squeeze a second wash out of it. I usually take the second wash and gulp it down right there where I stand. It's like a free bonus drink. I did regret doing it the time I was making kava at 6am. Made the morning go kinda sloowwwww ....:sleep:
:rolleyes: I've experienced that! If I indulge in tha am, I save that for weekends now. Work was... fun a couple times, but it just made me wish I wasn't there! and when the down part came on I was REALLY wishing I was somewhere else... like bed.:hilarious: