What's new

Mid-session blahs (the three phases of a kava session)

tbobe6924

Before I ask my question...for context here, I have been drinking kava for several years and have been there, done that as far as experimenting with all the various preparation types and using different varieties and chemotypes of kava, etc etc. What I am going to describe is universal (for me) regardless of the prep, the variety, the strength, etc.

SO, I do long sesh pretty much every evening starting about 5pm or so, and usually wrapping up around 10-11pm. I do the standard 4oz shells spaced out about 20 minutes apart, although this varies depending on how hard the kava is slapping at any point, but never less than 20 minutes between shells. Generally what I experience almost every night is the same pattern...it starts off nice. Th first hour or two are a pleasant, relaxing, slightly euphoric phase. Next comes what I described in the title of the thread, the dreaded "mid-session blahs". This lasts maybe an hour or so, and it is not terrible by any means, but just a phase where the effects are just a very slight "fuzzy head" feeling, but absolutely zero relaxation or euphoria. Finally, if I power through this phase, the pleasant effects finally kick back in strongly...my favorite part of the evening. I am not a fan of drinking kava to the intoxication point (aka krunk), so that is not what I am describing, it is just a stronger version of the initial phase. I honestly wish I could skip the first two phases and go right to this one, but aside from drinking a ton at once and getting sick I don't think that is possible.

SO for anyone who slogged through my rambling post, I am wondering if anyone else who does longer sessions experiences a similar pattern, and if so, has anyone figured out how to make their session more consistent? I realize this stuff is notoriously fickle, so maybe it just is what it is - which is fine, but I am curious what others think.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Before I ask my question...for context here, I have been drinking kava for several years and have been there, done that as far as experimenting with all the various preparation types and using different varieties and chemotypes of kava, etc etc. What I am going to describe is universal (for me) regardless of the prep, the variety, the strength, etc.

SO, I do long sesh pretty much every evening starting about 5pm or so, and usually wrapping up around 10-11pm. I do the standard 4oz shells spaced out about 20 minutes apart, although this varies depending on how hard the kava is slapping at any point, but never less than 20 minutes between shells. Generally what I experience almost every night is the same pattern...it starts off nice. Th first hour or two are a pleasant, relaxing, slightly euphoric phase. Next comes what I described in the title of the thread, the dreaded "mid-session blahs". This lasts maybe an hour or so, and it is not terrible by any means, but just a phase where the effects are just a very slight "fuzzy head" feeling, but absolutely zero relaxation or euphoria. Finally, if I power through this phase, the pleasant effects finally kick back in strongly...my favorite part of the evening. I am not a fan of drinking kava to the intoxication point (aka krunk), so that is not what I am describing, it is just a stronger version of the initial phase. I honestly wish I could skip the first two phases and go right to this one, but aside from drinking a ton at once and getting sick I don't think that is possible.

SO for anyone who slogged through my rambling post, I am wondering if anyone else who does longer sessions experiences a similar pattern, and if so, has anyone figured out how to make their session more consistent? I realize this stuff is notoriously fickle, so maybe it just is what it is - which is fine, but I am curious what others think.
Do you eat anything throughout? I do larger shells spaced less often, say 30 to 45 minutes but up to an hour and then ride it out, stays good all evening. I don't eat anything at all though.

tbobe6924

Do you eat anything throughout? I do larger shells spaced less often, say 30 to 45 minutes but up to an hour and then ride it out, stays good all evening. I don't eat anything at all though.
I have experimented with this....I find that small snacks during the session actually help a little, but even with a totally empty stomach throughout it is the same pattern

AvaCat

Kava Curious
Been drinking longer than i can remember as well. I dont do as long of sessions as you but 7/8 - 10/11, so 3-4 hours. Of that 3-4 hrs ill have 3-4 strong 10oz shells, one every 15-45 minutes. I may have one extra if im not nauseous and feel its appropriate.

For me ive learned how i react and understand its only a 1-3 hour long experience before i want to go to bed haha. Most times though my sessions are short, like an hour and a half to 2. This helped me with what you called the blah period, i read that as the kavas sometimes fleeting nature which i try not to overpower with more kava. Instead i accept its sometimes short duration, eat some good food, then doze off. The no blah night cap ill call it.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
have you tried drinking a ton at once, tho? a couple of us--not many, admittedly--choose to drink it all upfront coz that's what works for us. If I try and go slow, I get no relaxation, only nausea. It sounds nasty to skoll 1L of kava at once, and it's not my favourite 5 mins of the day, but I take it as medicine. I've improved the nausea that goes with drinking that much at once by double straining with a 75 micron bag, that's helped a lot.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
So when I first started drinking Kava, I experienced a lot of nausea. Long story short, it turns out I was using way too much kava, and making an extremly strong drink every time. Also, I was using a cloth bag which did not filter out the kava fibers very well (I was using a metal strainer to fish out the fibers).

After switching to a fine micron bag and starting at a much lower amount of kava (I think I restarted at about 20-30 grams per liter of water), I've been able to enjoy it without the nausea.

Another factor for me is the taste. If I taste the kava (of any variety), I can barely tolerate much past the first couple shells without feeling nauseous just from the taste. So over time I've learned to drink it without any air escaping my nose, therefore not smelling or tasting what I'm drinking, and chasing it with a fruity drink to change the taste in my mouth before taking my next breath. Sounds silly, but it works for me and allowing me to enjoy it without the nausea.

Hope some of these tips help!