What's new

Moi and anxiety

Hello! I am new to trying varieties of kava. I have only tried a generic Vanuatu variety from mountain rose herbs for sleep. I am interested in trying a “heady” variety for uplifting qualities during the day but I’m concerned about the effects with anxiety. I experience social anxiety and panic attacks mostly, and I am concerned Moi or other heady varieties might exasperate it? Any thoughts? Thank you!!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hello! I am new to trying varieties of kava. I have only tried a generic Vanuatu variety from mountain rose herbs for sleep. I am interested in trying a “heady” variety for uplifting qualities during the day but I’m concerned about the effects with anxiety. I experience social anxiety and panic attacks mostly, and I am concerned Moi or other heady varieties might exasperate it? Any thoughts? Thank you!!
Hello welcome to KF, look around the forums, there is tons of reviews and lots of info on kava. It is organized in such a way that it should be easy to search and find the info you are looking for.

Heady kavas won't necessarily cause you anxiety, it does for some people, You may want to go with a balanced kava to hedge your bets. If you are looking at GHK, Mahakea would be an excellent choice, it's one of the most balanced kavas out there and from his line-up.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Imo the way kava works for different people makes it impossible to guess. It could be an anxiety exacerbater, or it could be a mood lifter and even help your anxiety. When I started using kava I loved moi, but now it gives me anxiety. Some heady strains are still fine for me too, so it’s only certain heady kavas for me.

Shaman-warrior

Kava Curious
I notice differences between batches, seasons and years. It not only depends on the variety but the plant itself and the conditions it grew in.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I concur with @Krunʞy, Mahakea is a good balanced “clean” kava. Its been known to hit me in a heady way. Just FYI, Some ppl have a bit of ear ringing with a heady kava when it hits right. This is the ”kava” song and does go away. It’s never bothered me.