What's new

More effective to prep two separate washes, or one wash with twice the amount of water?

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Which do you think is more effective at extracting the most kavalactones for your buck:
1) Kneading 1/2 cup kava in 16 oz water for 5 minutes, then putting aside this portion of muddy water, then kneading the same kava in another 16 oz water for 5 minutes
or

2) Kneading the same amount of kava for 10 minutes, but twice the amount of water

In other words:Two washes of equal volume water kneading for two separate times of 5 minutes vs one wash with twice the amount of water, kneading for the whole ten minutes.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I use less water for second wash. First wash has already taken most of the kavalactones, adding more water for the second wash would only further the dilution. I would knead half-cup root in 16oz of hot water for ten minutes...then 2nd wash it in 6-8oz for about 5 minutes. Combine them, and whenever I'm done drinking it, I might do a 3rd wash the same way I did the 2nd wash...or maybe with even less water. There can be a point where too little water hinders a full extraction.