What's new

More Kava research from Dr. Jerome Sarris at U Melbourne

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I was reading an article that Adil posted on the Paradise Kava Facebook page about a study of kava's effect on anxiety. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the actual texts of these articles but I did find the authors list of publications interesting. There are two new ones on kava from this year, one about anxiety and the other about hepatotoxicity. If anyone can get the text of these I would very much like to read them.
http://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person343780#tab-publications

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Here is the abstract of the anxiety study:

Kava (Piper methysticum) is a plant-based medicine, which has been previously shown to reduce anxiety. To date, however, no placebo-controlled trial assessing kava in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) has been completed. A total of 75 participants with GAD and no comorbid mood disorder were enrolled in a 6-week double-blind trial of an aqueous extract of kava (120/240 mg of kavalactones per day depending on response) versus placebo. γ-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) and noradrenaline transporter polymorphisms were also analyzed as potential pharmacogenetic markers of response. Reduction in anxiety was measured using the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HAMA) as the primary outcome. Intention-to-treat analysis was performed on 58 participants who met inclusion criteria after an initial 1 week placebo run-in phase. Results revealed a significant reduction in anxiety for the kava group compared with the placebo group with a moderate effect size (P = 0.046, Cohen d = 0.62). Among participants with moderate to severe Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-diagnosed GAD, this effect was larger (P = 0.02; d = 0.82). At conclusion of the controlled phase, 26% of the kava group were classified as remitted (HAMA ≤ 7) compared with 6% of the placebo group (P = 0.04). Within the kava group, GABA transporter polymorphisms rs2601126 (P = 0.021) and rs2697153 (P = 0.046) were associated with HAMA reduction. Kava was well tolerated, and aside from more headaches reported in the kava group (P = 0.05), no other significant differences between groups occurred for any other adverse effects, nor for liver function tests. Standardized kava may be a moderately effective short-term option for the treatment of GAD. Furthermore, specific GABA transporter polymorphisms appear to potentially modify anxiolytic response to kava.

---

Actually the most interesting implication of this in my opinion was not that kava may be an effective anxiety treatment, it was that genetics may play a role in the effectiveness of kava for anxiety treatment (and I wonder if this could be generalized to all effects of kava).

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
And here is the abstract of the more recent hepatotoxcity study

The culprit of kava hepatotoxicity will continue to remain a mystery in humans, if the underlying reaction is of idiosyncratic, unpredictable, and dose-independent nature due potentially to some metabolic aberration in a few individuals emerging from kava use. In addition, kava hepatotoxicity is presently not reproducible experimentally in preclinical models, as demonstrated by studies showing whole kava extracts are not hepatotoxic. This led us to propose our 'working hypothesis' that contaminant hepatotoxins including moulds might have caused rare kava hepatotoxicity in humans. Further studies are now warranted to proof or disproof our working hypothesis, because kava hepatotoxicity possibly based on contaminant hepatotoxins could be a preventable disease. In the meantime, however, for minimizing toxicity risk in kava users, a pragmatic approach should focus on the medicinal use of an aqueous extract derived from peeled rhizomes and roots of a non-mouldy noble kava cultivar, limited to maximum 250-mg kavalactones daily for acute or intermittent use.

---

Hmm. Unfortunately nothing new there -- use water extracts of roots. This one goes on to recommend only (non-moldy, seems kind of obvious really...) noble cultivars and a maximum of 250mg kavalactones at once and on a regular basis.

The theory about mold/bacterial contamination is interesting. Kava is an oily root and has to travel quite a long way to get to North America and even Europe, and one can imagine that kava farmers & shippers probably don't have rigorous food/drug safety practices in place (they get to drink it fresh, the lucky bastards). Unfortunately, it would also be the hardest to prove... I really hope nobody suffers liver damage from drinking kava ever again, but if they do I hope that somebody is able to do an analysis of the kava in question.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Another fun one: they found that (relatively small) doses of kava do not significantly impair driving ability. They go on to suggest further study on larger doses of kava. Let me help resolve that: larger doses of kava definitely impair motor control and reaction time...don't krunk and drive kids.