What's new

Multiple New User Questions!

Victoria

I first had Kava in December at a 'sober bar' and I was immediately drawn to the the calming effects the drink had on me. I had been doing some research and recently decided to start in the shallow end by purchasing Wakacon's Kava Waka Powder - Fijian Noble Premium Quality Kava Root. I have been preparing it the 'traditional' way (but blending in a blender first and then kneading,) with the strainer bag from Kavafied. I am using 350ml warm water to 3 level spoons of Kava, I have added a pinch of coconut oil to the recipe or a dollop of heavy cream as well. The first Kava drink I had they mixed it with chocolate syrup. I have only done this three times now and my questions are as follows:

1. The first time I had Kava I didn't feel quite this sleepy, is there a specific strain/brand I should look to for the calming effects but not sleepiness?
  2. Does the AluBall for Kava work well and is it significantly faster? Do I need a different consistency Kava than what I have to use this?
  3. Does adding the coconut oil or cream (fat source) really release more kavalactones? Coconut oil is so calorie dense I would love an alternative.
  4. I read a lot about reverse tolerance, should I have started with more/less Kava to adjust well or for better effects?
  5. Where can I get Hawaiian Kava? The options I'vee seen here in the forum seem to have most options sold out but I have a read a lot of great feedback on plants grown on the island. If it's needed to be picked up locally I go bi-annually and am patient. (Edit to say I found the post from Chris saying he is passing a stone, and I wish him the best and I'll keep an eye out for restocks!)

Thank you for any and all feedback!

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I first had Kava in December at a 'sober bar' and I was immediately drawn to the the calming effects the drink had on me. I had been doing some research and recently decided to start in the shallow end by purchasing Wakacon's Kava Waka Powder - Fijian Noble Premium Quality Kava Root. I have been preparing it the 'traditional' way (but blending in a blender first and then kneading,) with the strainer bag from Kavafied. I am using 350ml warm water to 3 level spoons of Kava, I have added a pinch of coconut oil to the recipe or a dollop of heavy cream as well. The first Kava drink I had they mixed it with chocolate syrup. I have only done this three times now and my questions are as follows:

1. The first time I had Kava I didn't feel quite this sleepy, is there a specific strain/brand I should look to for the calming effects but not sleepiness?
  2. Does the AluBall for Kava work well and is it significantly faster? Do I need a different consistency Kava than what I have to use this?
  3. Does adding the coconut oil or cream (fat source) really release more kavalactones? Coconut oil is so calorie dense I would love an alternative.
  4. I read a lot about reverse tolerance, should I have started with more/less Kava to adjust well or for better effects?
  5. Where can I get Hawaiian Kava? The options I'vee seen here in the forum seem to have most options sold out but I have a read a lot of great feedback on plants grown on the island. If it's needed to be picked up locally I go bi-annually and am patient.

First of all, welcome! Glad to have another new kava lover with us.
Now, on to your questions.

1. The Wakacon powder I've heard is pretty sedative. I would suggest a light kava such as Pouni Ono from Kalm with Kava if you're looking for less sedation.
  2. It does work well, however it's ever so slightly less potent than kneading and squeezing it yourself. Aluball is great for convenience, but not 100% for strength.
  3. You'll find people who swing both ways on this issue. I personally don't find any additive value to introducing fats to the kava. Others swear by it. My best guess about it is that adding fats helps increase the absorption rate of the kavalactones in your small intestine.
  4. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Currently he's been under the weather and is trying to get back on his feet, so he's currently sold out. When he opens back up I highly suggest the Moi if you're looking for a non-sedative kava. It's easily the best.

Victoria

First of all, welcome! Glad to have another new kava lover with us.
Now, on to your questions.

1. The Wakacon powder I've heard is pretty sedative. I would suggest a light kava such as Pouni Ono from Kalm with Kava if you're looking for less sedation.
  2. It does work well, however it's ever so slightly less potent than kneading and squeezing it yourself. Aluball is great for convenience, but not 100% for strength.
  3. You'll find people who swing both ways on this issue. I personally don't find any additive value to introducing fats to the kava. Others swear by it. My best guess about it is that adding fats helps increase the absorption rate of the kavalactones in your small intestine.
  4. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Currently he's been under the weather and is trying to get back on his feet, so he's currently sold out. When he opens back up I highly suggest the Moi if you're looking for a non-sedative kava. It's easily the best.
Thank you for the prompt reply! I have ordered some Pouni Ono and I'll try cutting out the fats altogether and see if I feel any difference!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
The first time I had Kava I didn't feel quite this sleepy, is there a specific strain/brand I should look to for the calming effects but not sleepiness?
You'll see the terms "heavy," "balanced," and "heady" thrown around. "Heavy" refers to body sedation which makes one feel "heavy." If you're looking more for anxiolytic effects, look for heady kavas but also consider balanced kavas as some balanced kavas can lean towards the heady end of the spectrum. Hawaiian kavas are typically balanced and heady. You get a more mixed bag of different kava cultivars from other Pacific Island nations. Vanuatu is known for their heavy kavas but even the local ni-Van value heady variaties, so don't rule out Vanuatu varieties like Palarasul or Kelai. Borogu is their balanced daily drinker, so I'd give Borogu a shot in case it works well for you.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

5. Where can I get Hawaiian Kava? The options I'vee seen here in the forum seem to have most options sold out but I have a read a lot of great feedback on plants grown on the island. If it's needed to be picked up locally I go bi-annually and am patient. (Edit to say I found the post from Chris saying he is passing a stone, and I wish him the best and I'll keep an eye out for restocks!)

All these suggestion are great and let me just add a bit of my own mana'o - try not using "warm" water and see how you like it.
Lots of reasons for this suggestion and it is recommended by the proposed Codex alimentarius standards and an editorial in the Journal of the American Medical Association, 2010--quote-
"...traditional kava beverage is prepared
by cold water extraction of its roots. Historic use shows
that kava is safe under the strict control of the rituals of Pacific
cultures. The traditional beverage is consumed on a daily
basis without apparent adverse effects, and kava cultivars
considered as noble ones have a long tradition of safe use".
Also, if you do come here "bi-annually" why not check availability
of a cottage at Puu O Hoku Ranch/Farm? They grow Hawaiian
'awa and they happen to have a freezer full of 1 pound bags,
fresh-frozen. It would be an interesting vacation to stay there and
make your own fresh 'awa.