What's new

Multiple washes

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Do you guys tend do perform multiple washes or just the one? Also can the same effect that is achieved through a second/third wash be done in the first by simply working the root longer, be it traditional or aluball? I tend to go back and forth on this but I have found looks to be deceiving at times, sometimes it may look watered down but still kicks hard. Any opinions?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
One of the arts of mastering kava, I've learned, is understanding the logic and math and science and art of multiple washes.

One thing I learned? My first shell, with 4 TBS of waka is great, but what is even better is the second wash, the 4 TBS of makas from the first wash, done up again but with another new TBS of waka added. That second one is better than the first, and it's even better if I chase it by sipping 2 TBS of KWK concentrate in a glass with water and ice. My wife claims she can take the makas from that and do a third wash that is really nice and mellow, like doing 2 - 3 TBS of lawena.

For a day long session, I'll do 5 shells like this:

1. 4 TBS waka

2. The makas from 1 plus a new TBS

3. A new 4 TBS of waka

4. The makas from 3 plus a new TBS

5. All of the combined makas from 2 and 4

The aim of this was to make each shell have roughly the same effect and power on me, as if I were having 4 new TBS with each shell, which I had been doing, at considerable expense.

In effect I get 20 TBS of kava goodness out of 10 TBS of kava. Once I learned these tricks I saved a lot of money, well, half my money.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
One of the arts of mastering kava, I've learned, is understanding the logic and math and science and art of multiple washes.

One thing I learned? My first shell, with 4 TBS of waka is great, but what is even better is the second wash, the 4 TBS of makas from the first wash, done up again but with another new TBS of waka added. That second one is better than the first, and it's even better if I chase it by sipping 2 TBS of KWK concentrate in a glass with water and ice. My wife claims she can take the makas from that and do a third wash that is really nice and mellow, like doing 2 - 3 TBS of lawena.

For a day long session, I'll do 5 shells like this:

1. 4 TBS waka

2. The makas from 1 plus a new TBS

3. A new 4 TBS of waka

4. The makas from 3 plus a new TBS

5. All of the combined makas from 2 and 4

The aim of this was to make each shell have roughly the same effect and power on me, as if I were having 4 new TBS with each shell, which I had been doing, at considerable expense.

In effect I get 20 TBS of kava goodness out of 10 TBS of kava. Once I learned these tricks I saved a lot of money, well, half my money.
Funny because when I do multiple washes I do the same. Adding a little bit of extra root seems to help quite a bit.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
it is always a pleasure to discover I am not nuts or if I am, I am in good company. I do not know why this effect works, though I'm sure there's some real science to it, there must be. Simply doing a second wash without adding any new just gives you a much weaker krunk than the first one. But adding just a little bit, makes it an equivalent krunk. The only other thing I know that works like that is shampoo, sort of, using only a little bit on the second lather gets you as much of a head full of lather as a lot of shampoo did on the first one.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Both with traditional prep and with the aluball I do at least 2 washes and mix the first with the second. My traditional prep involves hot water, a kavafied bag (with the annoying plastic top removed), and a long handled coffee scoop. 8 TBS in the bag, really hot tap water, and pound the snot out of it with the long handled scoop. I literally try and break up the makas to release all their goodness followed by a ~5mins of kneading. Drain bowl into a large mason jar and do a second wash with the same method. This gets me enough grog usually for 2 nights worth, depending on my mood. On occasion I have found myself at the end of the night with nothing left....on the other hand I have also left it in the fridge in the mason jar for 2-3 nights and hand no funkiness or other unpleasant taste.

xKAVAx

Kava Curious
I don't want to spend the time doing multiple washes when I get home from work, but I don't want to throw away any useful stuff either. So here is what I have been doing lately:
I shake the kava+water for about 30 seconds, pour through a strainer and drink. Then I put the used kava in a ziplock bag in the freezer. The plan is that I can take the kava out of the freezer and give it a good kneading/traditional prep after I have a bit, say five days worth, saved up. So instead of going through the whole process every time, I only have to do it every 6th time.

I just came up with this a couple days ago, so I haven't taken the once-washed stuff out of the freezer yet. Maybe when the Aluball gets here, it'll be easier and I won't want to continue the 'freezer plan', or I'll start buying only micronized kava. Guess I will see how it goes.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried this. It seems to work better this way. I suspect that freezing it helps to weaken the cell walls and extract those stubborn kl's. :)

Chris1052

Kava Curious
What I do is 4tbsp with 12 oz water, pour that into a jar then do a second wash with 8oz of water and pour that into the jar with the first wash. I then end up with a little over 16 oz which I split into 4 4oz servings. It's plenty strong for me but I've only been doing it a week now so my method could change. By the time I am done with the second wash the root feels pretty dry and has lost a lot of its oily feel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
What I do is 4tbsp with 12 oz water, pour that into a jar then do a second wash with 8oz of water and pour that into the jar with the first wash. I then end up with a little over 16 oz which I split into 4 4oz servings. It's plenty strong for me but I've only been doing it a week now so my method could change. By the time I am done with the second wash the root feels pretty dry and has lost a lot of its oily feel.

That'll work and certainly another way of doing things.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I always do multiple washes (traditional prep) because I figure I might as well squeeze everything I can out of what I've got. I usually do four tablespoons to 12 oz of hot water, and I've found it to be really effective if I add another two tablespoons to the second wash (I could swear it feels like the second one does almost nothing when I just use the already used stuff).

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
No method hits me nearly as hard as the blender then ghk simmer the kava method followed by kneading. Only thing is that it is so bitter that i have to take shots, takes me while to finish it.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava

I do a variation of this as well. I'll do 3-4 big heaping teaspoons : about 40 oz water. pour that in to 2 full jars and 1 partially full jar. then i do a second wash with 15-20 oz water. I top off the partial jar and then have a cup of 2nd wash.

Sometimes i'll begin with sipping the second wash.. sometimes I'll save it till the end, sometimes Ill top off each shell with some second wash to stretch it out.

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast

If you after the oilyness then checkout this method, oils galore: