What's new

My Kava Experiences with Music

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
I think I've announced enough times here that im still roughly new to Kava. Probably only just now breaking the reverse tolerance barrier that i have read so much about.

Id like to share my two favorite kava 'experiences ' thus far, and open a discussion or hear from others here about their own kava session music or experience with Music while drinking kava.

My very first time i tried kava i put 2 tbsp into my aluball, shook it up and poured two cups. I was sipping through one while cooking a large meal for the next day when i realized i was missing an ingredient and had to drive to the store to get it. So, i was bummed to interrupt my first kava drinking moment but i was not 'feeling ' anything from it anyhow. I got in the car and put on my usual playlist. I listen to alot of jazzy, beat music. If you are familiar with adult swim ( late night cartoon network becomes adult swim programming ) you'll know about adult swim bumps. And probably be familiar with the multitude of full track videos on YouTube. So anyways i put on this song:
Wow, suddenly i felt super relaxed. Was in no rush. Noticed how nice it was to be in the tinted windows of my car in air conditioning while the sun and heat beat down outside. I felt super relaxed and it was pleasant. Then when i got into the store and later that evening i could still retain that feeling but the music actually brought it out.

My next experience was just two days ago. I recently bought a kava filter for traditional prep. I did my usual 2tbsp and kneaded 10min but it was noticeably stronger than my aluball experiences thus far. I was feeling a deep relaxation start to creep up and my girlfriend and i decided to meet my parents for dinner out and about. Since she got a new car recently she basically has been doing alot of driving. Being that it's her car, its her music also that we listen to lol. So i sit in the seat and she turns the car on and it immediately plays that shakira song, Africa waka waka. Now, let me tell you something. That's a funky song to hear when you are just then seeping into a kava state of mind like you never had before!
So, i didn't feel like i was on drugs or anything, maybe it was the 'euphoria ' feeling. But i was listening to this song thinking, " woah, lol, what in the world is this?! Its not bad but it is crazy! " but i didn't want to sound odd because i couldn't find the words to articulate why i found that song so funny at the time. So, i kept it to myself and tried not to grin, just enjoying this exotic music at the time lol. If you've never heard it, this is it, just in case anyone else can experience what i think i did :

So, what are everyone's thoughts here? Im building a kava playlist on YouTube, does anyone else have a kava playlist or experience with Music and kava?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I find music is different with kava. Kava allows the brain to focus, eliminates distractions, so you can more accurately hear what is in the music. It turned out I'd been hearing many things all wrong all my life. Kava allows me to hear what is actually there.So I'm going back and reviewing a lifetime of musical loves, hearing them differently now, things I never heard before, even if I had heard it a thousand times.

TJo

Kava Curious
Seems all I do on Kava is just listen to music. I'm actually more a Heavy Metal guy myself but when I'm drinking Kava, I can't stand loud noise so I need something mellow. This Adult Swim sounds good right now but I love listening to Matisyahu - King Without A Crown (Live at Stubb's) on repeat.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Seems all I do on Kava is just listen to music. I'm actually more a Heavy Metal guy myself but when I'm drinking Kava, I can't stand loud noise so I need something mellow. This Adult Swim sounds good right now but I love listening to Matisyahu - King Without A Crown (Live at Stubb's) on repeat.
I understand exactly what you mean about avoiding the more metal genre while drinking kava.
While im at work im a meshuggah, slayer, dream theater, kinda guy. My job is a "go go go, git er done fast as possible" kinda job. So, that and having a metal background preference from when i was younger i do try to play something hard and heavy at work that fuels my inner fire. These days i get into alot of progressive stuff, i enjoy polyrythms and odd times, bands who are pushing the boundary of "just your typical verse/ chorus/ verse/ breakdown" repetitive nonsense.
But i digress.
While i drink kava, none of that is really as appealing. I probably could listen to some bands who go a little softer vocally and are more reserved like say dream theater, but ultimately, calming music seems to fit perfectly and loud sounds like you describe just come across as obnoxious while im drinking kava. So in that way i can Relate to what you say.
Thanks for sharing matisyayu, not familiar with him but i enjoyed that song.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
I find music is different with kava. Kava allows the brain to focus, eliminates distractions, so you can more accurately hear what is in the music. It turned out I'd been hearing many things all wrong all my life. Kava allows me to hear what is actually there.So I'm going back and reviewing a lifetime of musical loves, hearing them differently now, things I never heard before, even if I had heard it a thousand times.
Its interesting how state of mind can really effect your perception of music. That's a cool idea to revisit purposefully, old favorite music, with kava in hand. I might try digging up some old favorites and seeing what i learn about myself now or what i learn about myself from that time.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Opeth did some quiet stuff. Just sayin'......

TJo

Kava Curious
Opeth or Dream Theater are both good suggestions, will give them a go next session. Yeah I'm into Meshuggah too (seen them live in Australia) but my all-time favourites are Architects, Being As An Ocean (Both Metalcore) and Good Ol' Black Metal Summoning. Actually... maybe Summoning might do aswell...

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I tried Opeth (old) once and it wasn't a fit.
Summoning - i can see that could fit well. Personally, i do not listen to much music, let alone on kava.

Reactions: TJo