What's new

Powdered Kava Review Nambawan

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Prep and Drinking
The usual prep for me. No lecithin, just 1.5 cups of boiling water to 1.5 cups of room temperature tap water. Poured into 25 micron bag, squished for 10 minutes. Did a 2oz second and third wash with cold tap water until diluted results appeared.

First shell and second shell were at 15 minute intervals, and 30 minutes in I felt like I was standing on the tracks hit by a freight train. Got some eye-lag and light nausea accompanied by sighing and an "amped" feeling. Waited 30 minutes for third shell, as I debated whether I really needed it. Waited 20 more before fourth shell.

The taste was pretty bad. Pretty rank compared to the GHK varieties I've been drinking recently. Washed hands to get the smell off my hands. Very piquant. The taste hit with a kind of uneasy oilyness and then climbed to a bitter peak followed by an earthiness that lingered. I didn't chase with fruit, just let it ride. The bad taste dissipated after 30 seconds or so.

Onset and Effects
Holy cow, this stuff hits hard. I drank on an empty stomach as I always do. It rammed into my brain like an out of control shopping cart full of bricks. Eye-lag was immediate (at 30 minutes) followed by nausea and gurgling. I felt some disorientation and uneasy balance walking around for about 15 minutes. I ate a little and it started to even out, so I went back for two more shells spaced farther apart.

All I can say is: WOW! I definitely feel stimulated. Some warmth in the face but I'm feeling most of this in my cranium, not in my body. And the brain effects are STRONG! I feel like dancing. In fact, I'm listening to some upbeat industrial dance music and that's fitting perfectly. Fired up some 8kHz Mono - Monochromator, and I feel like The Terminator cruising through the streets of 1980's LA in a stolen cop car, punching lights and tearing over to the police station to find Sarah Connor. Lots of sighing and some giddiness. Speaking, my sentences are coming out in long run-on staccato syllables and I'm annoyed that my mouth can't keep up with what I want to say.

I'd say the uplift is stronger than M'oi or Borongoru, which are my go-to social kavas right now. I can definitely see going out to a rock concert on this stuff and fist pumping and rocking out to air guitar in the audience. I don't think I've ever had such a strong stimulant feel from kava. I feel like the Neuromancer after popping an octagon and buying some monofilament wire from The Swede before a night of infiltration. At times I feel my heart racing interspersed with lulls.

Overall Impressions
Fantastic! I sit here under a waterfall of pleasure streaming over me, hitting in waves and shoving me around. This is truly a special brew, and a singular experience so far in my roughly three months of avid kava drinking. I'm less "in the groove" and more on top of it, like a surfer jerking my board left and right to find the tastiest part of the curl.

Great stuff! Highly recommended! Not your couch-melter variety at all. Definitely strong and definitely a heady monster. I'm gonna keep the rest of the bag for the weekend and whatever social events I can drum up. I think I'll drink it before jam sessions on guitar as well. Seems like that would fit perfectly.

POOMP-POOMP, Mr. Toad. POOMP-POOMP!

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
By way of morning followup: I slept very soundly and, unfortunately had nightmares last night, but I think that has more to do with my personal life than kava. :)

The night before I'd had Nene, and yesterday morning I awoke slowly and felt lethargic... I was 30 minutes late to work because I laid there drifting in and out of sleep in very pleasant but very somnolent state for longer than I wanted. For the workday morning I was little out of it but caught my stride before lunch and felt sharp the rest of the day.

With the Nambawan, I awoke in a similar groggy state, and drifted in and out of sleep for a bit but it wasn't as hard to get up and get moving as it was with the Nene. And I'd had more Nambawan (2.5 cups of grog) compared to the Nene (1.5 cups) so the morning after effect wasn't strong with the Nambawan.

My best mornings so far are with Borongoru, where I feel rested and ready to spring out of bed. Mo'i is pretty close.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Just read this review for the second time Steve Mariotti , lol
Sounds like some crazy stuff! eventually I may need to order some of this...I have or will have plenty for a while but once
my supplies diminish, I can definitely see picking some of this up :)

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Sounds like your night turned into an NES game...awesome. going to have to check out that band I got some work to do today so Borogu's going with me and need some jams to get sh$% done...

Bwiggy

I like plants
Thanks, @Steve Mariotti , and then would you say you generally expect to consume at least six tablespoons per night, involving a few sessions, with each session being 2-3 tbsp??

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Thanks, @Steve Mariotti , and then would you say you generally expect to consume at least six tablespoons per night, involving a few sessions, with each session being 2-3 tbsp??
Usually much less than that. Keep in mind that sensitivity varies a lot person to person. Usually 2-3 heaping tablespoons in 2 cups of water is my night. More if it's not top shelf stuff. But yeah, that's it for me. I drink it at 15-20 minute intervals until the approximately 16oz of grog is gone. Then I'm done with kava for the night.

Afterwards (roughly):
1 hour of euphoria and excitement
1 hour of focus and calm
1 hour of great muscle relaxation
1 hour of increasing sleepiness and pillow-seeky behavior

Bwiggy

I like plants
Great, thanks!! @Steve Mariotti I'm obviously still getting my feet.
"pillow-seeky" should be integrated into the Kava glossary of terms
like "known to induce pillow-seekiness"

do you do a second wash?

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
i just broke into my first bag of nambawan a couple days ago and i must say that, as it says on the package, "this is not lunch break kava". i have been floored by the potency of this kava the past few days. if i sip it i get the amped up feeling that @Steve Mariotti describes above and if i continue sipping it i can maintain that energized headiness but if i chug it or i don't space my sips far enough apart then it becomes bedtime very quickly and i find myself feeling loose and relaxed and happy and sleepy. this kava is awesome and i will definitely keep it in my rotation

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
i just broke into my first bag of nambawan a couple days ago and i must say that, as it says on the package, "this is not lunch break kava". i have been floored by the potency of this kava the past few days. if i sip it i get the amped up feeling that @Steve Mariotti describes above and if i continue sipping it i can maintain that energized headiness but if i chug it or i don't space my sips far enough apart then it becomes bedtime very quickly and i find myself feeling loose and relaxed and happy and sleepy. this kava is awesome and i will definitely keep it in my rotation
How about an independent review?

Robert

Kava Curious
I used to love this kava, it's the most creative kava I've had, I did loads of writing with nambawan, getting inspired to order more,.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Nambawan + Mo'i = rocket fuel. Nambawan + Borongoru = rocket fuel.

Great stuff. Danky taste with that Vanuatu mud coming right through. Great plant though!