What's new

Need some recs

Tomtom

Kava Curious
I'd like to get some suggestions on what to try next! So far I've had Paradise Instant kava, Bula House Nangol Noble, and Bula House Borogu. I don't notice too much difference between them. Just to let you know how I make it - I use the Alu Ball with about 2-3 tablespoons of root powder and shake it for a minute or more with about 1-1.5 cups of warm water, then drink in 1 or 2 shells. Then I'll reuse the same kava in the Alu Ball one more time with a cup and drink that. Sometimes I'll make another batch about an hour later. I try to drink on a semi-empty stomach at least if it can't be totally empty.

I do notice effects - some warmth, relaxation, cheerful mood - from any of the types I've tried.

I'd like to try a variety of different kinds of kava that might have slightly different effects. I guess I'm interested in a wide range both heady and heavy. Any faves people want to share or things I should consider trying next?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Make a strong batch of Nakamal at Home's WOW! kava a couple nights in a row, then make an equivalent dose of GHK's Mo'i for the following few days. That will give you a pretty good idea of different noble kava types and their range.
There's also stuff that falls somewhere in the middle, like GHK's Mahakea, Nene and many of the other great kavas suggested on this site.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I use the Alu Ball with about 2-3 tablespoons of root powder and shake it for a minute or more with about 1-1.5 cups of warm water, then drink in 1 or 2 shells. Then I'll reuse the same kava in the Alu Ball one more time with a cup and drink that. Sometimes I'll make another batch about an hour later. I try to drink on a semi-empty stomach at least if it can't be totally empty.

I do notice effects - some warmth, relaxation, cheerful mood - from any of the types I've tried.

I'd like to try a variety of different kinds of kava that might have slightly different effects. I guess I'm interested in a wide range both heady and heavy. Any faves people want to share or things I should consider trying next?
I've never used an aluball but a minute seems too short. @Kavafied is that sufficient?

Tomtom

Kava Curious
Thanks shakas - so the mo'i is an instant kava, no need for the Alu Ball with that one right? Looks like 2 great products - 1 heady and 1 more sleepy-time? A and B testing is always fun....

Make a strong batch of Nakamal at Home's WOW! kava a couple nights in a row, then make an equivalent dose of GHK's Mo'i for the following few days. That will give you a pretty good idea of different noble kava types and their range.
There's also stuff that falls somewhere in the middle, like GHK's Mahakea, Nene and many of the other great kavas suggested on this site.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Most vendors do sample packs, that should save you a bit of time and money working out what you like.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
@Tomtom mo'I is usually available in instant, micronized and medium grind.
I'd also suggest eventually trying traditional kneading/straining (med. grind) for 10 minutes, on a night that you don't use the Aluball.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
@Tomtom mo'I is usually available in instant, micronized and medium grind.
I'd also suggest eventually trying traditional kneading/straining (med. grind) for 10 minutes, on a night that you don't use the Aluball.
Yes, this ^^^ I have recently been quite lazy and have been using the Aluball nightly. Last night I had a little spare time so I tossed 4 rounded TBS. of KWK Loa into a strainer and kneaded it up proper in 2 cups of warm water. There IS a difference, the Aluball is great when your in a hurry but traditional prep is where it's at when you have the time.

Tomtom

Kava Curious
Thanks everybody, I should really try a strainer and hand-kneading. I guess I can get a strainer from most kava retailers?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I personally think the aluball is very efficient but who knows. I just don't like making 6 aluball for a huge krunk day haha between me and two others... but potenCy I don't see a difference and about a minute or so is perfectly fine..

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Cactus Kava includes a good, quality strainer with each bag of med. grind. That's how I got my first one, works great!

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Cactus Kava includes a good, quality strainer with each bag of med. grind. That's how I got my first one, works great!
I'll 2nd Cactus Kava being a good place to start. The grind is just right and the bags with every order are a great bonus they work really well. I tie my strainer bag tight then just drop it in the kava container once I've squeezed it out then I just keep adding water, shake it around a bit and it goes a little further.

I'd also highly recommend Kalm's Tongan for the heady side of kava: http://kalmwithkava.com/product/fresh-tongan-kava-root/

Tomtom

Kava Curious
Thanks everybody.
I will try some of those suggestions. In the meantime I think AluBall is working pretty well. I shook it for about 90 seconds yesterday, then opened the ball and squeezed the roots manually to get the last drops out and I had a nice thick grog.

Does eating any of the root material after using it help enhance effects at all? Any precautions with doing that?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Does eating any of the root material after using it help enhance effects at all? Any precautions with doing that?
If you've kneaded and squeezed (or shaken in your case) well, than any extra effects you might get from consuming the kosakosa/makas would be minuscule, and not worth the high likelihood of nausea it would likely cause.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
If you've kneaded and squeezed (or shaken in your case) well, than any extra effects you might get from consuming the kosakosa/makas would be minuscule, and not worth the high likelihood of nausea it would likely cause.
I'll def 2nd that opinion. The more root material you consume, the more likely you'll experience nausea which can really put a damper on the good effects of kava. keep it clean!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
And the larger the volume of prepared kava you drink during each shell, and how long you wait between shells has a huge impact on nausea for me.

I have a completely unscientific and unproven theory that the numbing effect of the kava confuses your stomach and gets it worried it may have to evacuate the pool.

I combat it with a little ginger beer.