What's new

New Australian member

Hi all, I'm looking at kava as a possibly healthier alternative to wine! I have got some of the Fiji kava from Coles and tried the suggested 1tsp. Didn't seem to do anything. Trying 2tsp. Not really that dramatic either. Dramatic being the wrong word but hopefully you know what I mean. So I have questions. Is it worth trying different brands in the hope that their particular blend of actives might be more effective for me. Or should I just take more of the same one? Does the fact I'm well attuned to alcohol mean I'm less reactive/receptive to kava? I am a scientist so feel free to throw all sorts of stuff at me. And my skin is thick! :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi all, I'm looking at kava as a possibly healthier alternative to wine! I have got some of the Fiji kava from Coles and tried the suggested 1tsp. Didn't seem to do anything. Trying 2tsp. Not really that dramatic either. Dramatic being the wrong word but hopefully you know what I mean. So I have questions. Is it worth trying different brands in the hope that their particular blend of actives might be more effective for me. Or should I just take more of the same one? Does the fact I'm well attuned to alcohol mean I'm less reactive/receptive to kava? I am a scientist so feel free to throw all sorts of stuff at me. And my skin is thick! :)
You're definitely on the right path!

K

KavaPleb

So far the kava I've taken hasn't helped sleep, in fact I feel its been the reverse. Any tips here?
Hi there new as well here. I've noticed with my experimenting that some strains can be more stimulating than others. You should order some from Australiakavashop or root and pestle so you can pick which strains you want for certain effects. Australiakavashop also has afterpay which is nice. The borogu is sedating to me and makes me want to sleep after a while. The Fiji Harmony on the other hand is stimulating as heck to me, makes me wanna bounce of the walls which is nice because I might of found a strain to give me that amphetamine fix.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
2tsp of that stuff isn't going to do a whole lot, it's not the best stuff, though it is handy having it available in Coles! Try half the bag, with about a pint of water, or even the whole bag with a litre, you'll likely get more of an idea of it's effects I think...

Hi there new as well here. I've noticed with my experimenting that some strains can be more stimulating than others. You should order some from Australiakavashop or root and pestle so you can pick which strains you want for certain effects. Australiakavashop also has afterpay which is nice. The borogu is sedating to me and makes me want to sleep after a while. The Fiji Harmony on the other hand is stimulating as heck to me, makes me wanna bounce of the walls which is nice because I might of found a strain to give me that amphetamine fix.
Thanks. I am learning this. I have ordered two different strains one for sedating and one for uplifting so see how they go. From kava pros - Platinum Lewana and Fijian Noble kava .

2tsp of that stuff isn't going to do a whole lot, it's not the best stuff, though it is handy having it available in Coles! Try half the bag, with about a pint of water, or even the whole bag with a litre, you'll likely get more of an idea of it's effects I think...
Yes today I've done 2 tsp twice. And still waiting.....I did sort of figure Coles brand wasn't going to be the best. I really had no idea its just not that simple! And Coles isn't cheap in 50g sachets especially if you take a lot. Hence the order to elsewhere.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Yes today I've done 2 tsp twice. And still waiting.....I did sort of figure Coles brand wasn't going to be the best. I really had no idea its just not that simple! And Coles isn't cheap in 50g sachets especially if you take a lot. Hence the order to elsewhere.
i gave mine away, not even worth having as a backup. poor stuff, and I was having 8tbsp.