What's new

New guy here, my initial impressions (boroguru)

k0rd

Kava Curious
First of all, my apologies if this type of introduction post is not allowed (or is in the wrong place), I did a quick look around and could not find anything to indicate that it wasn't, but it won't hurt my feelings if a mod decides to 'refile' this post.

So my 1/4kg gram bag of boroguru arrived today. Having only taken some kavalactone pills starting a week ago (approx 300mg, every 4 or so hours), I wasn't sure what to expect. When the bag arrived, my wife notified me that the package was waiting for me on the steps. Excited, I opened the package and began preparing my drink.

I mixed 4 heaping spoons (like the kind you eat with - and by heaping, i mean it!) with a spoon of solidified delicious coconut oil in warmish water (so that the oil would melt a little). I stuck it in a high-quality blender for 2 or so minutes (my wife insisted that the blender could heat the potion up, and advised caution). I then strained through a nut milk bag (I think it may have ruined my son's nut milk bag, but maybe it just needs a good washing). I kneaded this for approximately 10 minutes, poured the resulting mix into a mug, and chugged it - as I heard this is the traditional way of consuming it.

So, the product now consumed, my first reaction was "hey - that didn't really numb my mouth like I've been reading.." I mean, there was a numbing sensation, but it wasn't what I expected.. it seemed to be more of a taste-bud shock... not like going to the dentist or anything. Worrying that I prepared it wrong, I dropped the milk bag into another fresh 6 oz of water to let it soak. I then went to sit down and read the Kava forums here.

About +5 minutes after drinking, I felt like making an account. If I'm going to do something, I'm usually all-in. By the time I found my phone and hit the confirmation link, I was ready to type an entire introduction post. Those pills that I had been taking previously (although they might have 'fixed' the reverse-tolerance issue) did not prepare me for the actual very real feeling of intoxication that I soon felt (and feel).

It should be mentioned here that I was initially interested in Kava for its anxiolytic properties. The level of 'difference' I feel from normal is a bit of a trigger for me (which is kind of funny when I look at it intellectually - I've done many stupid things in the past to self-medicate that were truly dangerous without batting an eye - and here I am worried about this natural awesomeness), but I am sure any concern I have is unfounded.

So yeah - I am an instant fan. This seems to be a very quality product (although I have nothing to compare it to).

I was wondering then, if Bula Kava House has any other strains that provide more of an anxiolytic effect than boroguru does. I feel somewhat relaxed, but somewhat nervous as well. Also, please share your first-time (or otherwise memorable) experiences with me.

Oh, and for the record - the order from Bula was shipped very promptly. It was packaged professionally and in a high-quality sealed bag. The grind was pretty fine - nothing a milk nut bag couldn't (mostly) handle though.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope that I will get to know each of you more as time goes on.

infraredz

BULA!
Glad to hear about your positive experience. Personally, I have found Boroguru to be one of the best cultivars in terms of relaxation. I would also check out Nambawan, because "heady" though it may be, I've found it to have more potent anxiolytic effects.

I (figuratively) feel that it is a heat-seeking missile that targets the exact neurons that are over stimulated and completely removes any and all anxiety.

That being said, what you described as possibly being somewhat nervous, could be due to the kavain. I'm curious how you felt after about an hour after the effects came on. Usually, this is when the kavain's effects seem to die down and the more relaxing lactones exert their effect.

k0rd

Kava Curious
I'll be sure to follow up.. it hasn't been an hour yet :)

[edits below]

+~30 minutes - I do seem to be less nervous already.. I think I can safely attribute it to a 'fear of the unknown' type of thing - possibly aggravated by the Kavain you mentioned, although I would hesitate to blame it because I am a longtime anxiety sufferer who has gotten nervous before from simply taking valerian root!

+~60 minutes - much less anxiety, thanks for the tip about Kavain! Still have a significant body-relaxing feeling as well as a mental component akin to drinking a couple of beers (although the latter is no good, I do too many stupid things).

I will certainly be checking out Nambawan next, because the anxiolytic effect is the one I'm seeking.. I think Boroguru could also be helpful for this, but I need to get used to it first... and trust me, we should be pretty well introduced by the end of the weekend!

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Welcome K0rd, I like they you put it----
About +5 minutes after drinking, I felt like making an account. If I'm going to do something, I'm usually all-in. By the time I found my phone and hit the confirmation link, I was ready to type an entire introduction post. Those pills that I had been taking previously (although they might have 'fixed' the reverse-tolerance issue) did not prepare me for the actual very real feeling of intoxication that I soon felt (and feel).

I live in Hawaii and grow my own kava so Hawaiian is the first kava I have ever tried but Boroguru is the first kava from Vanuatu that I tried and I was also wowed and from that point I was looking for any other kava from any other place so I could try it, my first experience with the Vanuatu kava made me realize that there were so many different kava's out there and they all had there own effects and qualities that I had to try them all.
It was fun, I am sure you will like all the different kava's out there. Like BulaBuck said you got bit by the Boroguru bug and now you will be looking for all kinds of kava to try. But that is a good thing. Enjoy. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

k0rd

Kava Curious
BULABUCK, I am certainly bitten/smitten :)
Chris, I will certainly be trying different types. I think we are the same in that mindset - once I find a good thing I like to explore all of the options to fine-tune and find my favorite :)

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome K0rd! Chris at GHK has some of the finest, good quality, no nonsense stuff around. They truly are the Cadillacs of Kava.

Also check BKH's Melo Melo if you're looking to unwind. It's a great de-stressor and melts away the anxiety.

Paradise Kava and Kava Kauai are two other vendors offering good quality kava.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The nervousness was probably just because you slammed the whole drink at once (if I read that right), it sounds like it also hit you harder than you were expecting which probably gave you some added excitement/apprehension. I've done that a few times with some strong batches. It smooths out, and then you're just like :happy:

k0rd

Kava Curious
KavaLot thanks for the suggestions, I'm always looking to unwind. I'm also going to try some of Chris' Kava, but I have to say that it's going to be hard to finally settle down to one specific vendor, it seems.

Shakas, it is true that I slammed the whole thing, and it did hit me harder than expected. I think your assessment is spot-on. I know what to expect now, and tonight's session will probably go a lot smoother. It isn't like I had a full blown panic attack or anything, I just expected a little less 'edge', I think.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Hawaiian Kava, Ive noticed will numb you more. "Probably because of the higher Kavain"

I Love Boroguru...then again.....Im in love with Kava all together.

But If you are looking for a stronger response, try Paradises Fijian.
It was the only one that got my wife to break, and feel something.
I think you might be getting some presumptuous feelings due to the newness of Kava.
After the newness goes away, you should know more what to expect.

To me, I like drinking Hawaiian anytime
Fijian at night "Unless Im going all in and passing out on a floaty on the lake"
Tongan for getting things done
Vanutu for a steadyness

k0rd

Kava Curious
hey guys, just wanted to follow up a bit.

Been enjoying my boroguru all weekend! no more panicky feelings (well, I don't want to lie - i checked my pulse once or twice... but trust me, that is GREAT for me!)
I think a dose of 3 tablespoons per 8 oz is perfect for me. A little weak (on average) from what I've been reading, but I'm not so much after the intoxicated feeling as I am the anxiolytic, as I've mentioned.

So I'll be lurking around here to learn more - thanks for the warm welcome everybody and I hope that everyone in the US has a great memorial day - we've been busy getting the pool opened!!! (full disclosure - i had to check my calendar to validate that memorial day was indeed the upcoming holiday, lol!)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
First of all, my apologies if this type of introduction post is not allowed (or is in the wrong place), I did a quick look around and could not find anything to indicate that it wasn't, but it won't hurt my feelings if a mod decides to 'refile' this post.

So my 1/4kg gram bag of boroguru arrived today. Having only taken some kavalactone pills starting a week ago (approx 300mg, every 4 or so hours), I wasn't sure what to expect. When the bag arrived, my wife notified me that the package was waiting for me on the steps. Excited, I opened the package and began preparing my drink.

I mixed 4 heaping spoons (like the kind you eat with - and by heaping, i mean it!) with a spoon of solidified delicious coconut oil in warmish water (so that the oil would melt a little). I stuck it in a high-quality blender for 2 or so minutes (my wife insisted that the blender could heat the potion up, and advised caution). I then strained through a nut milk bag (I think it may have ruined my son's nut milk bag, but maybe it just needs a good washing). I kneaded this for approximately 10 minutes, poured the resulting mix into a mug, and chugged it - as I heard this is the traditional way of consuming it.

So, the product now consumed, my first reaction was "hey - that didn't really numb my mouth like I've been reading.." I mean, there was a numbing sensation, but it wasn't what I expected.. it seemed to be more of a taste-bud shock... not like going to the dentist or anything. Worrying that I prepared it wrong, I dropped the milk bag into another fresh 6 oz of water to let it soak. I then went to sit down and read the Kava forums here.

It should be mentioned here that I was initially interested in Kava for its anxiolytic properties. The level of 'difference' I feel from normal is a bit of a trigger for me (which is kind of funny when I look at it intellectually - I've done many stupid things in the past to self-medicate that were truly dangerous without batting an eye - and here I am worried about this natural awesomeness), but I am sure any concern I have is unfounded.

So yeah - I am an instant fan. This seems to be a very quality product (although I have nothing to compare it to).

I was wondering then, if Bula Kava House has any other strains that provide more of an anxiolytic effect than boroguru does. I feel somewhat relaxed, but somewhat nervous as well. Also, please share your first-time (or otherwise memorable) experiences with me.

Oh, and for the record - the order from Bula was shipped very promptly. It was packaged professionally and in a high-quality sealed bag. The grind was pretty fine - nothing a milk nut bag couldn't (mostly) handle though.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope that I will get to know each of you more as time goes on.
Welcome @kOrd
smiley_huglongarms.gif

If you have the time, it would really be great if you filled out a product review form for us to share!!!

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Hi k0rd, welcome. I'm new here also, and just received a batch of boroguru from Bula Kava House. I'm trying it now, just made my first batch. This is the 2nd Kava I have tried, the first was Vanuatu3, and for me, it was very weak. Not sure if that means anything at this point, as there is this reverse tolerance thing that everyone talks about.

Anyway, I need to wait a while before posting about my boroguru experience.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

k0rd

Kava Curious
Damn kOrd, you are always one step ahead of me!!! :)
(p.s. I did go look at it and saw we are experiencing some temporary formatting problems with your review. But we're taking care of it, so you don't need to report it or do anything about it)
unless I'm mistaken, you were doing some work on it this weekend? I actually made my review at the same time as I started this thread, so perhaps my review went in at the wrong time?
I can easily make a new one, if it would be better. Just let me know either way!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
unless I'm mistaken, you were doing some work on it this weekend? I actually made my review at the same time as I started this thread, so perhaps my review went in at the wrong time?
I can easily make a new one, if it would be better. Just let me know either way!
(y) will do. No need to do anything unless you hear back from one of us.