What's new

new heady squanch

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User01

so is Yerba like Coffee for you? Do you drink coffee in the morning or just Yerba Mate? I drink 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning and that's never gonna change.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
so is Yerba like Coffee for you? Do you drink coffee in the morning or just Yerba Mate? I drink 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning and that's never gonna change.
When I drink coffee I have like two cups in the morning then switch to yerba mate. I will drink yerba mate all day long till around 4pm. I keep spring water at work and add that to the cup(gourd) all through the day. You reuse the yerba, only need to fill the gourd once. It lasts a long time.
Or when I stay away from coffee I use hot water sometimes. It is different than coffee and tea as in you just keep adding new water through the day.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
@Deleted User01 here is a good video. Rick from go yerba mate.com keeps it pretty simple. You can get all into types of gourds and yerba but I think simple is the best way to get into it. They have great prices too.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
When I drink coffee I have like two cups in the morning then switch to yerba mate. I will drink yerba mate all day long till around 4pm. I keep spring water at work and add that to the cup(gourd) all through the day. You reuse the yerba, only need to fill the gourd once. It lasts a long time.
Or when I stay away from coffee I use hot water sometimes. It is different than coffee and tea as in you just keep adding new water through the day.
I got figure out how to drink yerba on the go at work, I got the kava situation down :)

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Do you cold brew your yerba?
I like it both hot or cold. But I give the edge to cold or room temperature yerba. Seems to be less bitter and more refreshing through the day. Like how an iced tea is. After I have a cup or two of coffee I ussually drink spring water the rest of the day. So I like the extra flavor of yerba added to the spring water instead of just drinking straight water all day. The pear flavored yerba tastes really good iced or cool. Like Taragui Pera or CBSe Fruit of the Valley.
You don't want to make a lot up at once and cold brew it though as it would get real bitter. You want to make enough to sort of skull like drinking a shell of kava. But you can reuse the yerba you have in the aluball over and over all day.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I like it both hot or cold. But I give the edge to cold or room temperature yerba. Seems to be less bitter and more refreshing through the day. Like how an iced tea is. After I have a cup or two of coffee I ussually drink spring water the rest of the day. So I like the extra flavor of yerba added to the spring water instead of just drinking straight water all day. The pear flavored yerba tastes really good iced or cool. Like Taragui Pera or CBSe Fruit of the Valley.
You don't want to make a lot up at once and cold brew it though as it would get real bitter. You want to make enough to sort of skull like drinking a shell of kava. But you can reuse the yerba you have in the aluball over and over all day.
awesome, I'll have to try it. What are the good yerba brands?

boxcar beatnik

Kava Enthusiast
4 cups of Coffee in the morning. I only drink yerba on my days off our around 4pm if I'm wiped and i still got lots of stuff to do. When imake yerba i do a water extraction by boiling an ounce or two down til it's almost black like coffee. I'll add one part extract to give parts yerba and its pretty close you regular brew except i can carry a gallon or two worth of yerba in a 24oz mason jar. Comes in handy, I'd hate to tote around two gallons of tea around the farm all day. It's easy to source a little water to mix with the extract. Instant energy that won't keep me up at night. It's crazy that i can get wired on it but have no problem going to sleep right afterward.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
awesome, I'll have to try it. What are the good yerba brands?
My top three in order of preference. I think the Taragui pear is a great entry yerba mate. Not too bitter to start with.
http://www.goyerbamate.com/store/p/884-Taragui-Mediterranean-Pear-Yerba-Mate-500-g-1-1lbs.aspx
http://www.goyerbamate.com/store/p/1099-Pajarito-Special-Selection-Yerba-Mate-500-g-1-1-lbs.aspx
http://www.goyerbamate.com/store/p/901-CBSe-Yerba-Mate-Valley-Fruit-500-g-1-1-lbs.aspx
Was enjoying the Taragui pear this afternoon.
IMG_20161128_155145.jpg

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, I didn't realize you could reuse mate.....I make mine in a french press and had been dumping the mate after I drank all the liquid I added. I really need to get one of those gourds with a brombilla too.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Wow, I didn't realize you could reuse mate.....I make mine in a french press and had been dumping the mate after I drank all the liquid I added. I really need to get one of those gourds with a brombilla too.
Yeah definitely reuse the yerba through the day, just add more water.
I love the stainless steel gourds and Simonaggio spoon bombillas that go yerba mate sells. Tried a bunch of different gourds but love the stainless ones. And prefer the spoon style bombillas.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
@ThePiper I am getting stocked up with a new strain that is less balanced than my current strain is and definitely more heady. I brought some pounds of it from the sample stock I had with me on vacation along with current strain. And shipped a few out. The new stock arrived Wednesdsy while I am away so I will have the new strain available next week. And also a small amount of the balanced Waka left too.
You shipped my Waka and lawena on 11/21 I think. I got it on the 23rd. I find the Waka to be beautifully balanced and I have yet to try the lawena.

1. Is the Waka and lawena from the same crop?
2. Is this your balanced strain from before, or your newer heady strain?

I want to be sure what exactly I'm looking forward to each day after work. ::shell::::toungezz::

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
You shipped my Waka and lawena on 11/21 I think. I got it on the 23rd. I find the Waka to be beautifully balanced and I have yet to try the lawena.

1. Is the Waka and lawena from the same crop?
2. Is this your balanced strain from before, or your newer heady strain?

I want to be sure what exactly I'm looking forward to each day after work. ::shell::::toungezz::
With that date you had the some of the previous batch. You had the balanced Waka which was some of the last of that strain I had to sell before bringing the new heady strain on board.
The Lawena is a different strain than the previous or new Waka. I have been able to sell the same strain of Lawena for a while now. But the Waka supplies tend to change about 4 to 6 months or so.
New Waka sales through my website are all heady Waka now.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I just received both new batches today and these remind me of Squanch's kava from last year, both are noticeably headier and potent as always :)

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I just received both new batches today and these remind me of Squanch's kava from last year, both are noticeably headier and potent as always :)
I have noticed that too. I think maybe it is because I spent all last week drinking Waka only. And because I have been bonding with my recent shipment of Lawena thay came in while I was away and it does seem headier. But it is the same strain of Lawena that I had for been selling for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.