New Kava Safety Paper

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I think this was just published today.
Interesting content, here is Abstract-

Attachments

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I see a conflict is it a food or a drug?
I think within the past few days the Codex alimentarius Kava Standards were adopted which make it a "safe food/beverage"
when specific guidelines are met. Guidelines are outlined in the Codex standards.
Eg. fresh frozen kava and kava dry powder when mixed with water;
This paper was finalised before the Standards were passed and I am not 100% certain the final signing
of the Codex docs. are even pau.
I believe traditional kava beverage is a food but kavalactone extracts would be maybe closer to a drug?

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I think within the past few days the Codex alimentarius Kava Standards were adopted which make it a "safe food/beverage"
when specific guidelines are met. Guidelines are outlined in the Codex standards.
Eg. fresh frozen kava and kava dry powder when mixed with water;
This paper was finalised before the Standards were passed and I am not 100% certain the final signing
of the Codex docs. are even pau.
I believe traditional kava beverage is a food but kavalactone extracts would be maybe closer to a drug?
You could compare it with garlic?
It's used both as food/spice and also traditionally for medical properties?

Regarding legalizing primarily Europe, I don't believe it would serve anyone to discuss kavas medical properties. But instead have a focus on food.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
The Kava Safety paper will, hopefully, provide some research links for helping show kava is safe when consumed fresh or dry mixed with water.
That is part of why the paper was put together.
Regarding those Codex standards-- "Safe Food" designation for kava. It will only apply within that region-- "The North America and South West Pacific Codex Region is a remarkably diverse region combining fully mature economies such as the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand"

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I think this was just published today.
Interesting content, here is Abstract-
"Recent studies suggest that kava and its key phytochemicals have anti-inflammatory and anticancer effects ".

This is awesome!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
"Recent studies suggest that kava and its key phytochemicals have anti-inflammatory and anticancer effects ".

This is awesome!
Just wait until you find the diagrams showing which kavalactone affects which cancer.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Alia do you know how this will influence the actions of the FDA or is that another round of bureaucratic paperwork?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
The FDA was represented at the Commission meeting last month their imput is as follows- (this is a summary):
"Yes, the Kava standard was adopted today by the Commission, however the United States did register reservation on the accelerated procedure for adoption stating the ongoing safety concerns from FDA. However that does not prevent the standard from being used in the CCNASWP region once the Commission report is finalized in October".

So my interpretation is that since "CCNASWP" includes us! ...then kava as defined by the standards is a safe food.
The fact that our FDA seems to not wish to understand the WHO and the UN, FAO plus thousands of years of traditional use
to conclude "Accelerated procedure" is beyond my understanding.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The FDA was represented at the Commission meeting last month their imput is as follows- (this is a summary):
"Yes, the Kava standard was adopted today by the Commission, however the United States did register reservation on the accelerated procedure for adoption stating the ongoing safety concerns from FDA. However that does not prevent the standard from being used in the CCNASWP region once the Commission report is finalized in October".

So my interpretation is that since "CCNASWP" includes us! ...then kava as defined by the standards is a safe food.
The fact that our FDA seems to not wish to understand the WHO and the UN, FAO plus thousands of years of traditional use
to conclude "Accelerated procedure" is beyond my understanding.
Well that's definitely good news. So even if they do have "concerns", it still gets brought in as food when finalized, if I'm reading that correctly there. I've always celebrated too early on these, but it looks like this is celebration worthy for real this time.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
So it should be transferred from FDA to USDA?
It's the FDA that regulates food (of which dietary supplements are a subcategory) in the US. So the FDA will always be the regulator as far as kava is concerned.
The USDA has a different role to play, helping kava growers in Hawaii.

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Yes, thats right...it is all through the USDA, Codex Office in Washington DC.
They are the "go between" to FDA.
All the work we folks in Hawai'i have done with Codex is through this office:
International Issues Analyst
U.S. Codex Office
Office of the Under Secretary
Trade and Foreign Agricultural Affairs
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)