What's new

New to Kava - Looking for Alcohol Replacement for All-Day 40th Party

Jandrewd

Hey all. I've been sober for 5 months (did 18 months, went back to drinking, and am now off again... hopefully for good). Not an alcoholic... just never served me well. I get 3-day hangovers from 3–4 drinks. I have been researching kava. I tried a few supplements (couldn't find powders in store) but they just made me really tired. I have since realized this isn't the way to go. I have my 40th birthday party on the 22nd of this month. It's an annual friends reunion of sorts. And I don't want to drink. I would like to try an energizing, social-boosting kava that I could sip on throughout the day in place of booze. Any reccos? I like the idea of the canned/bottled versions, but I would just assume these aren't as effective.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey all. I've been sober for 5 months (did 18 months, went back to drinking, and am now off again... hopefully for good). Not an alcoholic... just never served me well. I get 3-day hangovers from 3–4 drinks. I have been researching kava. I tried a few supplements (couldn't find powders in store) but they just made me really tired. I have since realized this isn't the way to go. I have my 40th birthday party on the 22nd of this month. It's an annual friends reunion of sorts. And I don't want to drink. I would like to try an energizing, social-boosting kava that I could sip on throughout the day in place of booze. Any reccos? I like the idea of the canned/bottled versions, but I would just assume these aren't as effective.
Welcome! You'd likely be well served by Tongan kavas in this scenario, as they typically skew to the more social side. And you're absolutely right, the canned beverages are quite a far-cry from traditional kavas.

kck74

Hi,
Also a noob, I’m trying to replace alcohol with Kava, not sure if it’s even a “thing” but…

interested to know how this thread goes!

cheers OP!

L

Lou_lou_89

Hi all,

Also absolutely new to Kava and very much sober! I'd like to add kava to cold drinks of an evening to unwind. Not sure of this is recommended or not, or what types to get etc.

Would love some recommendations!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi all,

Also absolutely new to Kava and very much sober! I'd like to add kava to cold drinks of an evening to unwind. Not sure of this is recommended or not, or what types to get etc.

Would love some recommendations!
Howdy and welcome aboard!

Boy where to start...Maybe try a sample pack from the many vendors we support and recommend here. Kalm with kava and so many more come to mind. there are different types of kavas that illicit a different vibe. Some are social types, lighter and others will go towards the other end of the spectrum; Into the heavy/sedating realms.

Must haves or essential equipment to have on hand are easy enough but important to have the right stuff. You'll need a 75 micron food safe strainer, many vendors will give you one for free but for 20 bucks you'll have one that will last you several years (get 2 just in case). Next start trying different kavas until you land on the feeling that suits your needs the most.

You'll knead the kava traditionally with COLD WATER (for better taste and the experience). Play with strength, you'll want to have a more concentrated grog (the kava and water mix ;)) for blending into your juice concoctions.

Lastly, kava works as far as I am concerned for a lifestyle change, including alcohol replacement and anxiety management, there is simply nothing better but bear in mind that moderation will be key!