What's new

New to Kava May Have Overdone it? (Hyper Rash Breakout)

Hello - New to Kava and really enjoyed it. I may have overdone it as I am prone to do with everything. I will bullet point my consumption and reaction below. I have been down the rash rabbit hole on this site and really appreciate all the info. I suppose the bottom line is that I am hoping to try again but I am super hesitant. I feel that the latent reaction was due to consumption quantity and not allergy related and would love feedback on the amount consumed to any real experienced Kava drinkers.. I was a highly functional alchoholic for the last twenty years or so, and due to my work I am randomly drug tested or I would have switched to cannabis long ago. Kava was a wonderful release after quitting alchohol cold turkey over two months ago. The list below is just a timeline and I am aware if this reaction happening to other users. I know I need time to get this out of my body. The reaction was approximatley three weeks after first consumption. I almost want to do a Kava allergy scratch test on my back after this clears to see if it is an allergy? Not sure if that is a viable option. Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. I have photos but my rash looks exactly like others who have had it so I did not post them.

Thursday July 18'th - Bought two 4 packs of Kin euphorics from Vitamin Shoppe. I also bought a vial of Kava concentrate. Consumed all 8 cans of Kin and about half of the vile in the following three days.
Monday July 21'st- Received from Amazon a bag of Wakacon Kava Waka Powder – Authentic, Noble Kava Root Powder from Fiji – Premium, Responsibly Sourced, 16 Oz along with the Nut Milk Bags also from Amazon. ( not Kava specific and did not list the micron numbers etc.)
For that week I had Kava every night with the traditional prep. That weekend I finished the vial of extract on Saturday in one shot. I also started using a blender method for the medium grind in our Ninja with 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 water at 140 degrees. The bag was gone by Sunday.
Monday July 28t'h- Received a Bag if Instant Borongoru from KWK. Througout The week I drank this with Doctor Pepper mixed in a magic bullet. Stirring was taking too long. I was using one to one and a half tablespoons per drink. This bag was finished within 6 days.
Sunday August 4'th I received another bag of the Wackacon Kava from Amazon. I preferred the effects compared to the KWK instant. That Sunday eveing I had my last two tablespoons of KWK instant and Doctor Pepper. I was not satisfied so I dug into the new bag of Wakacon to make a small batch- Approx two tablespoons and two cups of whole milk at 140 deg. F.
Monday August 5'th I woke up feeling abmnormal and almost flush feeling. I wrote it off as being tired and did not consume Kava that night.
Tuesday August 6'th - As I am sitting at my desk at work I noticed two small rashes in each forearm that itched. At that point I kinda figured it was from the Kava consumption. Later that afternoon my shoulder and back began to itch and were also showing the same rash.
Wednesday August 7'th- Woke up to a whole upper body rash on my torso and arms. Went to ER abd was prescribed a steriod and benadryl. No kava consumption
Thursday August 8th- Monday August 12th The rash spread to my face and head and was possibly the worst part of the whole ordeal. Massive swelling of cheeks and rash hive on whole head. Back to the doctor today and received a shot and more steroids. Im on the mend I hope..

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello - New to Kava and really enjoyed it. I may have overdone it as I am prone to do with everything. I will bullet point my consumption and reaction below. I have been down the rash rabbit hole on this site and really appreciate all the info. I suppose the bottom line is that I am hoping to try again but I am super hesitant. I feel that the latent reaction was due to consumption quantity and not allergy related and would love feedback on the amount consumed to any real experienced Kava drinkers.. I was a highly functional alchoholic for the last twenty years or so, and due to my work I am randomly drug tested or I would have switched to cannabis long ago. Kava was a wonderful release after quitting alchohol cold turkey over two months ago. The list below is just a timeline and I am aware if this reaction happening to other users. I know I need time to get this out of my body. The reaction was approximatley three weeks after first consumption. I almost want to do a Kava allergy scratch test on my back after this clears to see if it is an allergy? Not sure if that is a viable option. Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. I have photos but my rash looks exactly like others who have had it so I did not post them.

Thursday July 18'th - Bought two 4 packs of Kin euphorics from Vitamin Shoppe. I also bought a vial of Kava concentrate. Consumed all 8 cans of Kin and about half of the vile in the following three days.
Monday July 21'st- Received from Amazon a bag of Wakacon Kava Waka Powder – Authentic, Noble Kava Root Powder from Fiji – Premium, Responsibly Sourced, 16 Oz along with the Nut Milk Bags also from Amazon. ( not Kava specific and did not list the micron numbers etc.)
For that week I had Kava every night with the traditional prep. That weekend I finished the vial of extract on Saturday in one shot. I also started using a blender method for the medium grind in our Ninja with 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 water at 140 degrees. The bag was gone by Sunday.
Monday July 28t'h- Received a Bag if Instant Borongoru from KWK. Througout The week I drank this with Doctor Pepper mixed in a magic bullet. Stirring was taking too long. I was using one to one and a half tablespoons per drink. This bag was finished within 6 days.
Sunday August 4'th I received another bag of the Wackacon Kava from Amazon. I preferred the effects compared to the KWK instant. That Sunday eveing I had my last two tablespoons of KWK instant and Doctor Pepper. I was not satisfied so I dug into the new bag of Wakacon to make a small batch- Approx two tablespoons and two cups of whole milk at 140 deg. F.
Monday August 5'th I woke up feeling abmnormal and almost flush feeling. I wrote it off as being tired and did not consume Kava that night.
Tuesday August 6'th - As I am sitting at my desk at work I noticed two small rashes in each forearm that itched. At that point I kinda figured it was from the Kava consumption. Later that afternoon my shoulder and back began to itch and were also showing the same rash.
Wednesday August 7'th- Woke up to a whole upper body rash on my torso and arms. Went to ER abd was prescribed a steriod and benadryl. No kava consumption
Thursday August 8th- Monday August 12th The rash spread to my face and head and was possibly the worst part of the whole ordeal. Massive swelling of cheeks and rash hive on whole head. Back to the doctor today and received a shot and more steroids. Im on the mend I hope..
Wakacon has been known to cause this.

Hey thanks Kap. I was hoping you would chime in. I understand everyone’s body is different and folks need to be careful with recommendations and diagnosis. I was hoping for someone to say “ who do you think you are Hunter S Thompson ?” with that amount of consumption. Anyway in hindsight I noticed the second bag of wakacon had a more of a stem like texture when squeezing it rather than the sandy type feel from the first order. I’m still itching quite a bit although I don’t look like Rocky from the movie Mask anymore. I’m leaning on throwing away the Wakacon and buying from somewhere that anyone would have a suggestion on. And also going a bit slower. Thanks to all.