What's new

New to Kava suffering from anxiety and depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Just for reference. I eat through a lb in 10 days, and only drink it once per day. You're not that far outside of normal consumption there.
I was taking a week or so to go through a lb but I was chasing a Krunk that I just couldn’t achieve. The Loa Waka was good but even the 6 spoons before my massage on Friday just didn’t fulfill what I was looking for. I’ve got some Mahakea enroute so Thursday night should hopefully bring a nice change

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I started having Kava a few weeks ago after finding myself in a tough spot due to the collision of relationship woes and longstanding mental issues (anxiety and panic). I didn't want to get back on SSRI's because they turn me into a zombie and I had bad withdrawal on it. So I got myself a 1/2 lb of the Kavafied Supreme and I've been having 2 tbsps. once a day a few times a week. I noticed an effect from the first time. It chills me out and silences the obsessive chatter in my head.
That being said, I'm trying really hard not to use it every day. I don't want it to become something I HAVE to take just to get through the week, but something that I can look forward to. I have noticed that there are a lot of folks here that use kava instead of other drugs or in place of alcohol and it seems to me that they are just changing one drug for another. Honestly that really scares me. I don't think it's good to have to take any one substance multiple times a day every day, KWIM. That being said, I can see why that happens. I've only had kava maybe a total of 7 times in the last two weeks and already I have this feeling when I get home that I REALLY WANT to prepare a shell. For me the effect was that strong that I already crave it, and I have never had addiction issues. So just tread lightly. Go slowly, take it on your bad days, and lay off it on your so so days. Learn other coping mechanisms. You want kava to enhance your wellbeing, not be the only source of it. Just my two cents, as someone that knows shit about kava but have experienced panic and anxiety disorder since I was in middle school.
If kava is working well for you and you don't have any problems with it I would suggest you keep going with it. You can consume kava every day with no problem, and at 2 TBS a day, that is a small quantity. You could safely consume up to 12 TBS/day, that's about where the upper limit of safety is for daily consumption, sort of a universal consensus.

FWIW, I have been consuming avg. 8 TBS/day every day for the past 3 years, with no ill effects and many positive ones.

Also, for anxiety I think you need daily doses for months and months before the really preventative effects kick in.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Update 2:

Went to see the Therapist last night. He doesn’t really see the need for us to continue regular sessions. Before I left I wanted to get him to comment on my Kava use. He was all for it as it seems to be helping.

I was in a funk yesterday because some people in my life had gotten bad news, I was upset with myself for “abusing” Kava over the weekend and I watched a sad documentary on Layne Staley from Alice In Chains.

What is the general consensus on abuse or overuse? I’m an addict. I don’t think that I’m taking it too far but I got “the talk” from the wife.
it would be great if we could get her on a conference call with me and Shellie McKrunkface.

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
it would be great if we could get her on a conference call with me and Shellie McKrunkface.
I agree. And to be open with everyone a few of you guys including Kap and Krunkie have been topics of conversation at our house this past month or 2. If anyone ever happens to find themselves anywhere in the vicinity of Amish country Lancaster County PA hit me up. Mi casa Su casa

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Update 2:

Went to see the Therapist last night. He doesn’t really see the need for us to continue regular sessions. Before I left I wanted to get him to comment on my Kava use. He was all for it as it seems to be helping.

I was in a funk yesterday because some people in my life had gotten bad news, I was upset with myself for “abusing” Kava over the weekend and I watched a sad documentary on Layne Staley from Alice In Chains.

What is the general consensus on abuse or overuse? I’m an addict. I don’t think that I’m taking it too far but I got “the talk” from the wife.
I am not an addict. I do however drink kava almost daily after work to relax and for anxiety reduction. At first my wife was pretty skeptical of my use, but now she joins me almost every evening. It took her a bit to longer than myself to get over the taste, but now she quite enjoys the relaxation it provides and the awesome sleep that gets us ready to go for the next day. I am convinced I am more productive because of kava. The best part is if I don't feel like drinking kava any evening - I don't. No sweat. No issue. No craving. No withdrawal. Kava is pretty self limiting. If you drink too much it lets you know, however it rarely affects anything past the short window of over consumption. One rarely gets a kava hangover - and if you do it is usually just some fatigue and apathy the next day. My advice is have her try some and join you.

Status
Not open for further replies.