What's new

New to Kava suggestions on strain.

Buldar

I'm totally new to Kava. Tried instant packs for a couple of weeks to test the waters then made my first real batch today.
I'm interested in kava to help ease my anxiety which is causing debilitating tightness throughout my back, shoulders and neck. I went with Kalm Borongoru for the heavy recommendation.
My problem is although is helped with my back it knocked me out almost immediately.
Should I look at other strains? Smaller dose?
I'd like to be able to use it all day to help with this pain.
Thanks.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm totally new to Kava. Tried instant packs for a couple of weeks to test the waters then made my first real batch today.
I'm interested in kava to help ease my anxiety which is causing debilitating tightness throughout my back, shoulders and neck. I went with Kalm Borongoru for the heavy recommendation.
My problem is although is helped with my back it knocked me out almost immediately.
Thanks.
Welcome! Borongoru is classically sedative. If you're sticking with kalm with kava, I would suggest giving the Pouni Ono a shot. It's a much less sedative kava.

Buldar

Thanks. I'm not particular to Kalm with Kava, just the only one I could find with decent explanations on different strains.

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Thanks.
If you want to drink kava all day long, I recommend it much more diluted than usually suggested. The consumption of a beverage with a large volume and without excessive strength can be conveniently spread over many hours.
I would recommend Borogu variety. It has great soothing and anxiolytic properties and is not too heavy. I also recommend trying the mentioned by Kapmcrunk Pouni Ono. The mixture of the two previously mentioned kavas also has great effects.

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Last year I had what you described - a locked up neck, shoulders & upper back - for a few months. Where you can't turn your head, you have to turn your whole upper body to look sideways. I'm a long term daily kava drinker and I found that kava didn't help this condition at all. Whilst a good dose can sedate you, it also made me sleep on my neck in ways that just made it worse when I woke up - the sedation got in the way of my body telling me how I should be sleeping to avoid the strain getting worse, if you get my drift.

Not trying to put you off kava - but I would not look to it as a solution for your locked neck/shoulder/upper back. There are some good yoga-type exercises, which mixed with voltaren gel work well - with a moderate kava session on the side.

Blergs

Kava Curious
Highly recommend TKR family reserve. One of best I've had and likely to be my main kava, though I do plan to try ofa's sometime soon.

Karuna Kava

Kava Entrepreneur Boise, ID
Kava Vendor
Bula my friend. We are known for producing some of the best ready to drink kava in the world. We have several different single cultivar kava varieties currently available on our website at Karunakava.com. Our Cacao Vanilla Kelai and Holiday Special Temotu are my current favorites, but the Spiced Mint Gor Gor and Relaxed Chai Damu are also really, really effective and enjoyable kava varieties.

Use Code KAVAFORUMS at checkout for a tasty discount!