What's new

ObiWan's Test Results

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
Deleted User asked me to repost this here:

I wanted to learn more about the Kavas I am drinking, so I bought Aceton and a few glasses. Here are my results:
Kaca-Aceton-Test.jpg

From left to right these are the Kavas:

1 Tongan Pride (KbR), bought May 2013
2 Fu'u from BKH, bought May 2014
3 Nambawan from US ebay seller shamanstools, bought 12/2013
4 Stone from nakamal@home, bought 10/2013
5 Borogu from BKH, bought May 2014
6 Vanuatu Isa/Tudei Speciality from KbR , bought 08/2013
7 Tanna Marang-Marang from GKE , bought February 2014

The first four Kavas seem to be noble without doubts. With more light, they are definitely yellow. The clear winner is also the cheapest Kava. I am also (positive) surprised about the Nambawan from ebay. It is a nice tasting Kava with strong effects.
The Borogu seems to be adulterated, this is a big disappointment. The Isa is as expected.

What makes me really upset is the result of the Marang-Marang. And I think it will also be a surprise for Cian from GKE. He is only reseller and gets his stuff from the Vanuatu Kava Store. It is also sold from an US reseller as Nobel Kava with the slogan "we know our Kava". (but maybe not enough.)
I looked on the page of the VKS. They even have a a link to a Certificate of Analysis from the Vanuatu Agriculture Department which shall proof that the Marang-Marang is noble. Have a look in this certificate: They also seem to use the Aceton test! But what makes me wonder: The certificate doesn't mention for which Kava it is (only "powder" is named) and the document title is "Coco-K-Kava-Analysis-Report-Form.pdf". Remarkable is also the noticed content of Kavalactones (only 2,6%). Ah... wait... on the page for the 250g package is the link to the right document.. But this document also rises questions.

About the Fu'u and Borogu: There is a possibility that I swapped them over by mistake after the purchase when I filled them in my vaccum storage boxes. I assume that the Borogu is the darker one of both, it is also the stronger one. But after reading Deleted User's results I am wondering why my Fu'u seems to be so much better then the batch he tested.

Is it really sure that the natural colour of the Kava has no influence on the Aceton test results? All Kavas on the left (which look bright and yellow) are bright Kavas, while especially the Marang Marang is the darkest one.

I encourage every Kava drinker to do his own tests!

Last edited by a moderator: