What's new

Observations from a newbie

luvnature

Hi everyone,

I’ve been stalking this forum for a couple of years now and have finally decided to introduce myself to you all for a couple of reasons. One, this forum is really amazing and incredibly positive and welcoming. Two, in addition to learning about kava, I’m also interested in sharing my own experiences and asking questions when they arise. I am probably not your typical kava drinker (at least from who I can see posts to this forum)…I’m a 60-something yr old female who was looking for something to relax me in the evenings besides alcohol – of which I’ve been using and abusing for a good portion of my life. I know this will resonate with many of you. I am also a NASA Earth scientist, so I especially appreciate the more science-y posts.
I can honestly say that kava has changed my life. In the two years I've been drinking it, I’ve almost completely stopped drinking alcohol, and as a result, have dropped weight, lowered my cholesterol, sleep better and am generally just a nicer person (according to my husband). I generally go for the heavier kavas (Stone and Ambae’s are my current faves), which I drink almost every evening before dinner. These are my general observations about kava prep, etc…
  • I found that I really need to strain it really well (75-100 micron nut bags) otherwise I get some irritating skin rashes, particularly on my abdomen. I typically use a blender for 4 min and then strain. Sometimes I use the Aluball (with 2 balls) but after two weeks, I start getting the skin rashes.
  • Guava juice is my favorite kava chaser.
  • My stomach has to be pretty empty to get much of an effect if I strain it really well….I eat lunch at noonish and then nothing until kava time around 5pm.
  • Dinners with higher fat content will definitely potentiate the effect but cheese enchiladas seem to be the big winner.
  • I’ve gotten some nausea (and prayed to the porcelain god one time) but over the two years I’ve been drinking it, I’ve pretty much figured out the quantities and prep method that works well for me to minimize or eliminate that.
I’ve joined a couple of Facebook groups (on other topics) over the last several years but inevitably drop them because people just get nasty (even on the most innocuous topics!) and had given up on joining anything online but this forum is really unique. So thank you all for being so kind and respectful and full of amazing information. We need more of that in this world.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Welcome to Kava Forums! I am glad to hear you found kava and our little slice of the internet. It is post like yours that truly inspire us to keep this going but it really is more than that. It is a mutual respect and interest for a plant that has benefited all of us that really seems to bind us together. We have many types of members, across all age ranges and from just about everywhere on the globe.

I am with you on most everything you mentioned, bonus points on the science-y stuff, must be so cool to work at NASA! Feel free to drop as much knowledge and details on everything related to that, we love that topic and I am guessing you may have seen the thread I started on the Off-Topic section.

Most of all, what I really like about KF is what you mentioned early in about the lack of negativity here, it seems to inherently go against what kava is all about and with that in mind, I can definitively say, that type of community is what we strive to maintain.

(The easy way or the hard way, :D)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi everyone,

I’ve been stalking this forum for a couple of years now and have finally decided to introduce myself to you all for a couple of reasons. One, this forum is really amazing and incredibly positive and welcoming. Two, in addition to learning about kava, I’m also interested in sharing my own experiences and asking questions when they arise. I am probably not your typical kava drinker (at least from who I can see posts to this forum)…I’m a 60-something yr old female who was looking for something to relax me in the evenings besides alcohol – of which I’ve been using and abusing for a good portion of my life. I know this will resonate with many of you. I am also a NASA Earth scientist, so I especially appreciate the more science-y posts.
I can honestly say that kava has changed my life. In the two years I've been drinking it, I’ve almost completely stopped drinking alcohol, and as a result, have dropped weight, lowered my cholesterol, sleep better and am generally just a nicer person (according to my husband). I generally go for the heavier kavas (Stone and Ambae’s are my current faves), which I drink almost every evening before dinner. These are my general observations about kava prep, etc…
  • I found that I really need to strain it really well (75-100 micron nut bags) otherwise I get some irritating skin rashes, particularly on my abdomen. I typically use a blender for 4 min and then strain. Sometimes I use the Aluball (with 2 balls) but after two weeks, I start getting the skin rashes.
  • My stomach has to be pretty empty to get much of an effect if I strain it really well….I eat lunch at noonish and then nothing until kava time around 5pm.
  • Dinners with higher fat content will definitely potentiate the effect but cheese enchiladas seem to be the big winner.
  • I’ve gotten some nausea (and prayed to the porcelain god one time) but over the two years I’ve been drinking it, I’ve pretty much figured out the quantities and prep method that works well for me to minimize or eliminate that.
I’ve joined a couple of Facebook groups (on other topics) over the last several years but inevitably drop them because people just get nasty (even on the most innocuous topics!) and had given up on joining anything online but this forum is really unique. So thank you all for being so kind and respectful and full of amazing information. We need more of that in this world.
Welcome aboard! We're certainly glad to have you with us.

Your story is quite similar to our own. Kava has changed our lives for the better in ways we hadn't even considered to begin with.

lol at the facebook groups. I moderate more than one of them, and I couldn't agree with you more. Kava is supposed to be about chilling out, finding your center, and just riding the wave of peaceful existence. Some people will argue with you over what size spoon you're using to stir, or whether you've prayed to the proper gods before consumption.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi everyone,

Wonderful to hear from you . The list of kava research papers available within this Forum will, no doubt, interest you.
Much of what we know now regarding cancer prevention and Alzheimer's prevention is relatively new (within the last 15 years).
Most recently a study on terpenes in kava has been published which supports even Anti-viral activity in kava and adds to the cancer prevention.
I have seen close to 8 decades and most of them have included regular kava/ 'awa beverage each evening in moderation.
With time and experience we can figure out our own best methods to consume this beverage.
In "Old Hawai'i" it was very often a family tradition to drink some 'awa and have evening meal.
Like F. Scott Fitzgerald said about a future that recedes before us "borne back ceaselessly into the past"
sometimes, but not always, can be a good thing.

luvnature

I think Goya sells it, look at Hispanic or Latino markets (at least that's where I'd find it where I live around here in NYS) ;)
Most of the chain grocery stores around here (the SF Bay Area) sell it in some form or another. I get the Kern's Guava Nectar or their POG (yum!).

luvnature

Wonderful to hear from you . The list of kava research papers available within this Forum will, no doubt, interest you.
Much of what we know now regarding cancer prevention and Alzheimer's prevention is relatively new (within the last 15 years).
Most recently a study on terpenes in kava has been published which supports even Anti-viral activity in kava and adds to the cancer prevention.
I have seen close to 8 decades and most of them have included regular kava/ 'awa beverage each evening in moderation.
With time and experience we can figure out our own best methods to consume this beverage.
In "Old Hawai'i" it was very often a family tradition to drink some 'awa and have evening meal.
Like F. Scott Fitzgerald said about a future that recedes before us "borne back ceaselessly into the past"
sometimes, but not always, can be a good thing.
Yes, I've read quite a few of the papers. In my job, I also work closely with Indigenous communities and truly believe that we all need to pay attention to those traditional/cultural/family traditions. Not only does it connect us to our past but it also (in my humble opinion) is a way to survive our future. This is one of the reasons I've really embraced kava. I believe in the power of traditional knowledge.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi everyone,

Welcome home! There is no such myth as a typical kava drinker, we come from all walks and stages of life. I started around 6-7 years ago (I am now 50) specifically for anxiety relief and better sleep due to the pressures of my job and it has helped tremendously.

I also find the heavier kavas to be my favorites for anxiety and sleep....but my skin disagrees. I find if my skin needs a break that WoW, Nambwan, 5-start kava to be good, strong, and easier on my skin even when I over do it. Ambae and Stone are great but I get the same issues after 2-3 days of use.

Most of the facebook groups are much like "kava bars"....highly focused on K@ and very little discussion on kava. This forum is still the best location on the web for kava discussion and interaction (no offence to reddit, although with @Kapmcrunk help it has gotten better).

What kind of earth science do you do?

luvnature

Welcome home! There is no such myth as a typical kava drinker, we come from all walks and stages of life. I started around 6-7 years ago (I am now 50) specifically for anxiety relief and better sleep due to the pressures of my job and it has helped tremendously.

I also find the heavier kavas to be my favorites for anxiety and sleep....but my skin disagrees. I find if my skin needs a break that WoW, Nambwan, 5-start kava to be good, strong, and easier on my skin even when I over do it. Ambae and Stone are great but I get the same issues after 2-3 days of use.

Most of the facebook groups are much like "kava bars"....highly focused on K@ and very little discussion on kava. This forum is still the best location on the web for kava discussion and interaction (no offence to reddit, although with @Kapmcrunk help it has gotten better).

What kind of earth science do you do?
@Zaphod thank you for your comments about Stone and Ambae and skin issues. I will often mix Stone and Wow but I didn’t think about going to a less heavy kava when those rashes start appearing. I’ve been able to fend them off with a really fine mesh strainer bag but that also seems to reduce the potency.

For Earth science, I focus on the use of satellite imagery for species conservation and biodiversity. I’m more on the Applied science end rather than pure research so I work with NGOs and other organizations to use NASA data and technology to support the work that they do. It also means I travel a lot so I’ve been able to experience foods and drinks from other cultures, which, I think also really enabled me to embrace kava. I haven’t been lucky enough to visit Fiji or Vanuatu but they are definitely on my bucket list.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
@Zaphod thank you for your comments about Stone and Ambae and skin issues. I will often mix Stone and Wow but I didn’t think about going to a less heavy kava when those rashes start appearing. I’ve been able to fend them off with a really fine mesh strainer bag but that also seems to reduce the potency.

For Earth science, I focus on the use of satellite imagery for species conservation and biodiversity. I’m more on the Applied science end rather than pure research so I work with NGOs and other organizations to use NASA data and technology to support the work that they do. It also means I travel a lot so I’ve been able to experience foods and drinks from other cultures, which, I think also really enabled me to embrace kava. I haven’t been lucky enough to visit Fiji or Vanuatu but they are definitely on my bucket list.
That is awesome! I briefly worked on both CrIS (CRoss-track Infrared Sounder) and ABI (Advanced Baseline Imager) programs. They are mostly done by our division in Ft Wayne but some of the testing and assembly was done here in Rochester. That is cool that you get to travel and experience other cultures. Best of luck in your kava search.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Be careful to find pure guava juice. Guava nectar + cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup will not be as sour or refreshing and is instead sticky. Fresh guava fruit is delicious.